Mending some wire

MadCat360

Forum Addict
Car(s)
*Carless* Waaahhh
I have this set of headphones and there's a split in the insulation around the wire. It works fine, but I've been patching it with electrical tape to keep it from getting worse. I would use a heat shrink wrap but it's got one of those big volume dongles in the way.

How should I fix it in a more permanent way?

Solder it and then find a shrinking cap/wire to put on top of that.

Last edited:
/me slaps Headphone on store counter

Thats some lousy wire quality sir!

Depending on his mood, the mood of his employer, and the mood and general policy of the manufacturer you might get it replaced. Except if it's clear you broke it.

Remove the volume dongle, that's what I did when inevitably some wire broke at the end of the dongle.

Last edited:
To make sure the wire was properly mended you would actually have to do that. If you're not very confident in stuff like that you'd be better off with trying to replace the whole wire.

why not cut 3x length and then cut the shrink tube length wise, heat only on the closed sides and then close it off with electrical tape all along.

To make sure the wire was properly mended you would actually have to do that. If you're not very confident in stuff like that you'd be better off with trying to replace the whole wire.

I'm definitely not. I've never soldered anything in my life.

Diameter of volume dongle and diameter of wire? Shrink tubing comes in more than factors of 'shrinks to half size'...

Diameter of volume dongle and diameter of wire? Shrink tubing comes in more than factors of 'shrinks to half size'...

The wire is tiny, only 1/8" and the dongle is 3/4".

I'd be really surprised if a shrink tube could shrink that much.

The wire is tiny, only 1/8" and the dongle is 3/4".

I'd be really surprised if a shrink tube could shrink that much.

$18.08 for a 4 foot length of 6:1 shrink tubing with an intial diameter of 3/4" here.

Well, I suppose it's a good thing I was lazy and didn't repair the wire. The set just broke. Got brittle, or something, and has a large crack in it that makes it structurally unsound (made semi-sound again with tape).

Time for a Sennheiser. Out with ye, Logitech!

PC350_410.jpg

Last edited: