Merc SL55 Info?

I read in Top Gear that all 2006+ Mercs come with iPod connections as standard but I'm thinking this might be a Europe-only thing.

Anyway the deal is done so I just have to wait until next week to get to try them for myself. :mouse:

Thanks.

I doubt I'll have any good pics. The best I can do is my cameraphone so I might as well wait until you snap some pics of it. Or are SL55s too common in WV for you to take pics? :p

I just noticed your sig, never really took note of it before. Good job! Have you ever driven an AMG? I haven't...

I've had that sig since I joined this forum :lol:

Unfortunately no, I've never driven one, but I sat in a SL65 2 years ago. :?

And 55s are not THAT common, :D 500s on the other hand are.

Coool, can't wait to see some pics :thumbup: Maybe you can convince him you've been such a good son, that you deserve to get to take it out on the weekends :mrgreen:

I think I'll probably get to drive it somewhat often anyway. I mean even he's not going to drive it on a daily basis so I'll probably get to take it out... car will probably get around 3,000kms a year.

I can't wait for tomorrow anymore... :bmwpoo:

http://img252.imageshack.**/img252/6052/2000mercedessl55amg2000sp5.jpg

I think the taillights might be smoked/tinted? Can you guys tell?

Just beautiful :wub: Great spec/colour/wheel combo. Your dads gonna love it I bet!

Yeah, I hope it works out well for him, he deserves it.

I'll report my first impressions later.

I can't wait for tomorrow anymore... :bmwpoo:

I think the taillights might be smoked/tinted? Can you guys tell?

Smoked/tinted signal and back up lights were standard on the AMG SLs. Both 55 and 65.

I wish my dad had bought that. <_<

Yeah, I hope it works out well for him, he deserves it.

I'll report my first impressions later.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it as well. ;)

Okay, I drove it for all of five minutes. It's insane and makes you grin ear to ear. I press the throttle as much as I would in my car to accelerae up to 20kmh but in the SL that gets you to 80. The sound is amazing too, the supercharger actually sounds muscular as opposed to the other super/turbochargers I've heard (e.g. Porsche!!!).

But a few things: First, it does have the bolster seats but they're not like the M5s as in they don't bolster you in when you go around corners. You can just turn it on or off as a seat option.

It's also missing that plastic card they all have with the VIN number and radio password. I'm correct in thinking it should have one of those?

Also, where would I look to see if it has an AUX input for an iPod? In the glovebox or by the changer? The electronics on it look pretty dated I have to say but then again the SL has a kind of class and elegance that an M6 or even 911 wouldn't give you... it's a tank for sure.

Lucky you!!

If the SL has an AUX input (which I'm unsure of), it would be located somewhere in the cabin. I'm not sure but isn't the CD changer for the SL in the boot?? If its not in the glovebox or anywhere else in the cabin, it probably doesn't have it.

Okay, I drove it for all of five minutes. It's insane and makes you grin ear to ear. I press the throttle as much as I would in my car to accelerae up to 20kmh but in the SL that gets you to 80. The sound is amazing too, the supercharger actually sounds muscular as opposed to the other super/turbochargers I've heard (e.g. Porsche!!!).

Haha, be careful man, we are talking about 493 bhp and sh*t load of torque here. Not your average RSX. ;)

Congrats BTW. Get some pics.

The CD changer is in the storage space behind the seats. The SL has so many damn coimpartments you could probably live out of it.

The only reason I say this is because the Top Gear mag buyers' guide said all 2006+ came with iPod support. I'm guessing it's a Europe thing... I hate not knowing what this car has and doesn't have in terms of options.

Lucky you!!

If the SL has an AUX input (which I'm unsure of), it would be located somewhere in the cabin. I'm not sure but isn't the CD changer for the SL in the boot?? If its not in the glovebox or anywhere else in the cabin, it probably doesn't have it.

Last edited:
Hey man, are you slagging my poor RSX? :cry: 160hp happens to be a lot.

Haha, be careful man, we are talking about 493 bhp and sh*t load of torque here. Not your average RSX. ;)

Congrats BTW. Get some pics.

The CD changer is in the storage space behind the seats. The SL has so many damn coimpartments you could probably live out of it.

The only reason I say this is because the Top Gear mag buyers' guide said all 2006+ came with iPod support. I'm guessing it's a Europe thing... I hate not knowing what this car has and doesn't have in terms of options.
If theres one thing I know about Mercedes - its that MBUSA (inc. Canada market) miss out on sooo many features AND they have that stupid package ordering system which sucks.

Don't worry man. If its not in the cabin, it probably doesn't have it.

So have you figured out how to operate the COMAND properly yet? I know its pretty dated but its got all the major features like DVD and TV along with nav. It just can be a bitch to use...