Mercedes-Benz S-Class - 2020

It looks sooooo generic now.

E2918118-440E-47E1-A57F-1079D833E340.jpeg
9108CCD1-4A41-4F5D-BE88-EEE8324CC55D.jpeg

The question is will this be: Is this last S-Class that isn't defaulted to self driving? I also think we have gone a bit too in on single big control screens. I get that everyone is copying Tesla but Tesla offers updates to the software which gives new options and I doubt any of the other legacy car makers will do the same.

Another thing car makers do in advertising these type of cars

20c0359_101.jpg

MOAR TABLETS BUILT IN

I doubt they sell many cars with the option but they always show it. It makes the area look smaller. Most of the doctors and lawyers buying this are smart enough to tell their wife to just bring their ipad on the way to the wine tour.

My favorite Merc is the S212 facelift. Everything that came after just looks like a used bar of soap.

1599327719634.jpeg

My favorite Merc is the S212 facelift. Everything that came after just looks like a used bar of soap.

View attachment 3558458

Yes, this is what I mean. That is no doubt a Mercedes. This new S-Class looks like a Hyundai or Genesis...

Even if the bmw 7 looks vulgar this is way too boring to persuade doubters to jump ship I think...rise of the Audi a8?

Even if the bmw 7 looks vulgar this is way too boring to persuade doubters to jump ship I think...rise of the Audi a8?

In this class is boring not an attribute? I would think if people are looking for aggressive styling they would go with the Lexus LS.

i don't think so
i can't be aggressive indeed, but should have a presence

something bentely is managing perfectly

The only reason I can think of why it looks like this is similar to why BMW has become obnoxious with designs. Cultures that love showing off in shall we say "different" ways are the large buying population right now and I think in Mercedes case, they're seeing how well Hyundai/Kia are selling and are just duplicating that design language.

I don't think they really copied anyone

2019-S-Class-Sedan-Hybrid-Silver-FEATURE_o-1038x400.jpg

They toned down some of the busy lines like the Kia yes. The only thing I wish luxury cars would bring back is great fabric interiors. Not everything needs to be leather.

When W221 came out, I thought it looked ugly, but one facelift and then some years later, I changed my mind. When W222 came out, I thought it looked a bit ugly, but I've grown to like the design. This time, though, I don't think it's that ugly, but I do think it's dull.

Well, time will tell, but I have a feeling this design won't grow on me like the previous two did.

The only thing I wish luxury cars would bring back is great fabric interiors. Not everything needs to be leather.

So true. I miss the classic Mercedes velour. I think the 90's W140 was the last one to offer it.

The late 80's W126 had the most options though: cloth, leather, velour or alcantara (aka Amaretta).

Apparently in some markets there will be a cloth seating option in a nod toward sustainability - but you'll have to ask for it, it won't be promoted really.

I was digging the interior aesthetic of the previous generation myself...

I like a nice leather interior as much as most car guys, but this is the wool interior option in the 2020 XC90.

1601734015108.png