Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren vs. 18-wheeler juggernaut

TurnerGTX

article-0-01DA4BD700000578-228_468x306.jpg

It's never a good day when you prang the car.

And it's a particularly bad day when that car is a Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren costing ?330,000.

A delivery driver for a supercar hire company had been gingerly navigating the flashy sports coupe to its destination in yesterday's rush-hour when disaster struck.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1032111/Pictured-Rush-hour-crush-hour---330-000-supercar-smash-18-wheel-lorry.html

The delivery driver, who refused to give his name, told the Mail: 'I am absolutely gutted.
'I was creeping along in this very narrow lane. The power steering was very hard at such low speed and I couldn't turn. I just saw the wheels of this truck looming over the side of the car.

WTF?? No power steering is that hard.

^ A truck driving past it (i.e. in the next lane, in the same direction as the SLR) scraped across the front quarter.

WTF?? No power steering is that hard.

Indeed, no manual or automated clutch histrionics make low speed manoeuvring hatchback easy. Only the steering (power assisted but still surprisingly heavy) and the 'nothing-then-all' exotic carbon-ceramic brakes mark the SLR as anything out of the ordinary.

^ The article seems to imply the steering was so heavy the guy couldn't steer out of the way of the truck - which I find it bit hard to believe, I mean let's face it, if you're in an SLR and there's a truck edging way too close to you I'm sure you'll find the strength to steer the car away.

He (or the truck driver) was probably just being a moron and not paying attention.

^ The article seems to imply the steering was so heavy the guy couldn't steer out of the way of the truck - which I find it bit hard to believe, I mean let's face it, if you're in an SLR and there's a truck edging way too close to you I'm sure you'll find the strength to steer the car away.

It's a big long car, i doubt its going to be very agile or nimble at crawl speeds like a small hatchback would be, i think if a big truck was charging across traffic and he was blocked in, there was probably little he could do to avoid it, cept maybe stamp the gas pedal and risk the truck hitting the door or him driving into the car in front of him.