• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Mercedes M Class engine problem??

bobo_1314

Hello,

I've heard some of my friends saying that the Mercedes M Class engines can go on fire unexpectedly and will explode. At first I didn't really believe it until I saw one for real this morning. The fire department and the cops were blocking off a parking lot; at first I thought someone was held hostage in a car or something, but when I looked closer (I actually walked near the car, but not so close that the cops would spot me) I saw an M Class with a big hole in the hood. The front of the car was burned (the car was white, the hood was charred) but the remaining of the car was OK. It was clear that something in the front blew up, and it's got to be the engine, since there were no military officers around meaning it wasn't a terrorist attack or anything. I think the problem only applies to older M Class, not the new one. People here who drives one or know someone who does should take this problem seriously, as it seems that what my friends are telling me is in fact true!!

The ML is a bad car but that bad?? :shock: :shock: Was it the new or the old model? Which engine was it?
All engine's in the ML have been inside other MB cars for ages now... :? :?

Can you find more about this??

I think it was one from early 2000. I believe it was a ML320 (I wasn't so close to the car that I could see the model number). I just talked to my friend, and he said there was a flaw with one of the oil hoses connecting the engine; it may fall off or puncture after years of use and a spark or some sort may ignite the engine on fire (I didn't really understand what he was really talking about though :p ). In Canada Mercedes is asking all their M Class customers to go to their nearest dealer and have the fault fixed as soon as possible.

me awaits a certain member posting to defend their car, err I mean their dad's car :p

As a matter of fact, I will defend my dad's last two cars, an ML 320 and a ML500 Sport, the ML's have been very good cars, comfortable, quiet, and the 500 sounds cool, but I haven't ever heard of ML's randomly exploding, you'd think living in a neighborhood with at least a thousand of these trucks in a mile radius I would be the first to know.

I searched for recalls and the closest thing I could find was a power steering pump clamp that would come loose and make steering hard?

VWKafer said:
As a matter of fact, I will defend my dad's last two cars, an ML 320 and a ML500 Sport, the ML's have been very good cars, comfortable, quiet, and the 500 sounds cool, but I haven't ever heard of ML's randomly exploding, you'd think living in a neighborhood with at least a thousand of these trucks in a mile radius I would be the first to know.

I'm just as worried........my next door neighbor drives an M Class as well. :cry:

This picture was taken in hungary. (text also hungarian)
rough translation:

"For 23.9million HUF (~100,000USD), I have purchased a brand new mercedes, with defualt factory problems. My car with warranty, has not been fixed for 9months. After this, my trust in the brand got much better."

Has not been fixed, meaning, that the mercedes guys were unable to fix it.

http://img253.imageshack.**/img253/237/merci4im.th.jpg

If the pic is unclear -> a merc with a huge white board and the above translated text standing in front of a mercedes dealership.

:)

id stay away from the ML 320's/ 350's they always had reliability problems in general. the 430s and 500s have more electrical problems, and the ML 55 we own had its own electrical gremlins fixed by warranty... First time I hear about a ML with an engine on fire.

The new 06 models have some sort of tranny issues from what I heard.

^ that's not the reply I was expecting... I was expecting something more, err, fanboy... :p

Yeah, what a let down.

The ML isn't a great car... but the engine is probably one of the things about it which is not too bad. I haven't heard of any problems either, must be a fluke thing.

ah the irony - the one thing that isn't bad on the ML is now exploding - taking sympathy on the rest of the car perhaps

i liked the remodeled ML...we get those are rental cars when my rents puts them in the shop (on the other hand the other dealer gives us a Ford Taurus....those are fun too)

Oh ya, in georgia we have 2 major Merc dealers, Atlanta Classic Cars and RBM (i forgot what it stood for) and the owners are brother and sister...tough compition i'd say

id stay away from the ML 320's/ 350's they always had reliability problems in general.
I'd stay away from the old M-Class's full-stop (unless you have the AMG ;) ). I'm surprised that the 3.2L engine would blow up, hell thats what we might have under our E-Class...I'm not sure if the 3.2L engine we have under our bonnet is a newer version after all you said it was a 2000 model....

Anyway the new M-Class is great though ;)

An update of the engine problem: my friend read the news in a Chinese newspaper yesterday (Ming Pao Daily, in Toronto). He said only the M Class in Canada is affected, and it's not really an engine design problem. It's got something to do with oil leaking from the engine, and a spark can cause a fire, and under extreme circumstances, an explosion may occur. Please note that it is NOT the engine that is at fault (so the 3.2L engine in other models is not affected). This is strictly a design problem for the M Class in Canada, and only a certain amount of cars produced within a time period need to be fixed. So no worries, it's not a very big problem!! :D