No 56k: Mercedes SLS Gullwing Images Leaked

Evel

Car(s)
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
Source: Jalopnik

The first round of leaked images hasn't stopped this newest set of 571 HP supercharged V8-powered 2010 Mercedes AMG SLS Gullwing images from making their way onto the web. They reveal how long it's come since those Batmobile-like Viper-bodied mules.

Thanks to Autobild, we can now see the SLS Gullwing in profile with some of its interior shining through. For a fully detailed look at that gorgeous two-seat interior, check out our earlier coverage here and here.

Pictures:

66767683_4a0b89ffaf.jpg

66767682_045fa23457.jpg

66767681_c44a63f073.jpg

66767689_9ab4aa6dbf.jpg

Here's round one of the leaked images (There's only 1 image though):

We showed you the interior details two days ago, and those headers of fire a while back, but thanks to an as-yet-unnamed magazine, we've got what's supposedly the first look at the upcoming 571 HP supercharged V8-powered Mercedes SLS Gullwing.

We'll update as soon as we hear more on the Brucegasmic modern throwback to the classic gullwing 300SL.

Picture:

mercedes_amg_sls_jalopnik_01.jpg

Also, the interior pictures:

Development is wrapping up on the Mercedes AMG SLS Gullwing, the all-new, 571 HP gull-winged velvet hammer from Stuttgart. A sneak peek of the beast inside.

Replacing the Mercedes AMG SLR as the top shelf offering from Mercedes, the SLS Gullwing is taking a page out of company history and aping the gull wing doors from the legendary 1954 Mercedes 300SL, but it's not looking back for much else. The interior takes inspiration from modern luxury jets, pretty much everything not covered in leather is raw carbon fiber or aluminum. We're really digging the row of buttons and knobs on the center console, though the 8000 RPM redline and 330 KPH (205 MPH) top speed marked out on the dials are pretty exciting too. The 571 HP V8 will mate to a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission with the option to row your own at the shifter or through the steering wheel paddles. The knob on the center console looks to be a suspension and tune control with four different setting. We can also see the doors will get a power close feature as their outfitted with a pair of linear actuators. Not too shabby a working environment if you ask us.

Pictures:

SLS_Gullwing_1.jpg

SLS_Gullwing_2.jpg

SLS_Gullwing_3.jpg

SLS_Gullwing_4.jpg

SLS_Gullwing_5.jpg

SLS_Gullwing_6.jpg

SLS_Gullwing_7.jpg

SLS_Gullwing_8.jpg

SLS_Gullwing_9.jpg

SLS_Gullwing_10.jpg

SLS_Gullwing_12.jpg

I only included the best pictures, you can see the rest by clicking on the source, or here.

And last, but not least, the engine pictures (Plus some other inner stuff.). You can also see some spy pictures if you click on the source (As well as the pictures I didn't include).

If, like us, you were bored by the gullwing-door Mercedes SLS AMG "spy photos," here's something actually cool ? the upcoming SLS AMG's 6.3-liter V8 exploded, allowing us to see every gorgeous bit.

Not 100% ready for its curtain call, Mercedes released images of its upcoming SLS AMG in a canvas bra and aluminum panties for the world to see most of the Bruce. Consider it a $0.25 gullwinged German peep show. It seems what was once considered to be the most Mad Max-looking prototype ever has transformed into a delicate little beat-your-ass flower as evidenced by the above photos.

Smaller in every dimension than the Mercedes McLaren SLR that it replaces, the SLS AMG features an all-new aluminum space frame that weighs in a full 300 lbs less than the SLR. The 3,571 lb SLS rides on a lengthy 105.5-inch wheelbase and has a front track that's is 1.2 inches wider than its rear.

The SLS' sexiness gets transferred to the street with a powerfully tuned version of AMG's 6.2-liter V8 pumping 563 HP through its veins at 6,800 rpm. Helping to make its carbon footprint seen is a healthy dose of 479 lb-ft of torque at 4,750 rpm with which it'll leave rubber bread crumbs all the way to grandmother's house. Sitting low in a mid-front engine configuration, the engine will spin all that power through a carbon fiber driveshaft back to the rear-mounted seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox. No proper manual tranny will be offered.

Included in the package is a non-warranty voiding 'Race Start' launch control feature that will help propel the SLS AMG demon beast to a guaranteed 3.8-second 0-60 mph trap every time your whisper its name. Once your tray tables are away and seat backs are locked firmly in their upright position, the SLS AMG will be able to propel you to a terminal velocity of 196 mph and safely back to not, thanks in part to its six-piston caliper squeezed 15.4-inch discs out front and 14.2-inch four-piston grabbers out rear. That stopping power will turn into a guaranteed nose bleed when equipped with the optional carbon ceramic units.

Our curiosity is getting the best of us, although we'll never really be able to afford one on this highly lucrative sustainable blogging salary, so we asked Mercedes how much this gullwinged 300SL throwback would run us, you know, theoretically. They wouldn't stand firm on a price, but said that you should expect to pay at least ?156,752. For those unencumbered by a desire for currency trading, that's $200,000 USD. Guess we'll only be able to afford one big-boy toy this year.

Pictures:

thumb800x800_3349221640_2160f54f73_o.jpg

thumb800x800_3349219980_76d0aa2d05_o.jpg

thumb800x800_3349218622_d7cff1c900_o.jpg

thumb800x800_3348385567_0668b61a7c_o.jpg

thumb800x800_3349215548_30ed2ae2a4_o.jpg

thumb800x800_3349196162_753694a205_o.jpg

thumb800x800_3348362307_3ab0593b28_o.jpg

Looks like quite a good car, looking forward to it.

Looks like a proper gullwing, as described over the phone to someone who has never seen a car before.

If a guy like this, with grey hair, a mustache and glasses, is involved in the development of the car, it's bound to be very good.

I love it. Hopefully this will be well constructed.

Wow that interior is miles ahead of anything else Mercedes has done in decades.

This car looks really great. And that engine looks magnificent. No supercharger, no turbos, just a massive V8.

I'm not sure what to think. The back is great, and most of the front is as well but the headlights and front fascia do not go together. In isolation they're fine but in this case no. My biggest complaint is the interior, seems extremely boring for a $200k car. Then again this isn't the first time Mercedes has had this problem in a supercar attempt...

I do believe this will be the first "Looks like a ___ and a ____" post...

Headlights look out of place...the car is beautiful, but the GTR headlights have got to go.

Wow, I never thought Mercedes would do it like this.

If you park that between 2 cars, can that door open up properly?

I like the profile, but come on! That front? Come on! Tried too hard to make it look like the original, but it doesn't look retro in the slightest and therefore completely fails to pull it off.

"Watch zis, we have all new teknologie..." *makes a rising gesture with hands*"RISE! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!" *door opens up*
"Ah yes, very impressive" -woman
"Hmm, why didn't we think of this sooner" -guy on left
"You're dead." -guy in middle

Aren?t these pictures quite old? I?m definitely sure I saw the shots of the drivetrain sometime last year or something...

God I hope they don?t make a mess of it. This has the potential to be truly great, but it also has the potential do disappoint (me) even more than the SLR.