Autoblog: Mercedes SLS spyshots [official interior shots!]

nouseferaname90

The other thread was so old, so I made a new one

05-4-09-merc-sls-kgp.jpg

01-4-09-merc-sls-kgp.jpg

02-4-09-merc-sls-kgp.jpg

06-4-09-merc-sls-kgp.jpg

autoblog said:
The gestation of the Mercedes-Benz AMG SLS has spanned almost two years, and what started with a Viper-bodied mule, a few drawings and a full-scale interior mock-up has evolved into this, the latest super coupe prototype caught outside AMG Headquarters in Affalterbach, Germany.

Although there's still plenty of camo obscuring the finer points of the SLS' design, the shape is obviously evolving into something similar to the highly-stylized sketches revealed in New York. The elongated hood stands in stark contrast to the tiny trunk, while the short overhangs lend a bit more balance to the disproportionate profile. A few of the smaller details can be seen peering through the camo, including the front LED running lamps, trapezoidal dual exhausts and vents aft of the front wheels and on the hood towards the windshield. The massive piece of vinyl covering the center part of the grille will undoubtedly house a sizable three-pointed star, while out back, the sculpted fenders appear to have lost some of their edge (compared to this rendering), and instead rely on a set of bulbous tail-lamps and a small spoiler to shape the boot.

The SLS is expected to debut at this year's Frankfurt Motor Show, complete with a 6.2-liter V8 putting out 563 hp and 479 lb-ft of torque, with a curb weight of 3,571 pounds and a price tag north of $200k.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/23/spy-shots-mercedes-benz-amg-sls-taking-shape/

I'm likin the retro cues.

So, are those three lights on the front quarter panels for indicating what place you're in?

It looks nice with that shape, a long bonnet with a short and massive back section, getting bck to the old design ideas. We will just have'to see what will the performance of this car be on the race track. Will it be a worthy succesor to the Gullwing or will it just be another Mercedes, with a big engine that doesn't handle that well in real life.

You know, if they're going to make something that slavishly retro, why not just fire up the original tooling and build the 300SL instead? :bangin:

How much of the Viper is left on it? IF there's still something from the Viper in there... But the overall shape reminds me a lot of our beloved Dodge sports car...

I think that Viper based mule was too badass for production. It looked awesome.

But at least I can see very SLR Sterling Moss tallights.
http://img403.imageshack.**/img403/896/mercedesbenzslrstirling.jpg

Last edited:
too much camo, but looks promising, especially the retro styling hints :)

Will it come with a manual? Because if it's an auto, mercedes hasn't figured out the sports car yet.

How much of the Viper is left on it? IF there's still something from the Viper in there... But the overall shape reminds me a lot of our beloved Dodge sports car...

The Vipers were just test mules, an reliable source of mine from inside Merc told me. It had to do with some transaxle testing. Since he reads finalgear forums, I can't really write any more :p

I like the general shape :) Hopefully they get the details such as headlamps and grill right :unsure:

You know, if they're going to make something that slavishly retro, why not just fire up the original tooling and build the 300SL instead? :bangin:

Because I want something that I can drive everyday reliably without getting a headache, be able to talk to passengers and not worry about a priceless classic getting damaged. Also, I wouldn't mind being able to survive an accident. :p

I wouldn't count on it.

It might, I know someone who is working right now on a manual box at merc. The problem so far is that they couldnt get one that can cope with the torque. I think they are seeing daylight :)

Manual? in a Mercedes Benz sportscar?! :rofl: good one.. :lol:

I think Merc's losing its edge at making solid,well engineered cars.
Look at all that tape holding the car together:rofl:

Because it would be hidiously expensive, unsafe, and would probably be outperformed by 10,000 dollar korean cars.

The Vipers were just test mules, an reliable source of mine from inside Merc told me. It had to do with some transaxle testing. Since he reads finalgear forums, I can't really write any more :p

Nice to know this forum is getting inside the companies as well as Top Gear.:thumbsup:

Manual? in a Mercedes Benz sportscar?! :rofl: good one.. :lol:

No kidding, I know it because I know one of their top engineers who is working on the project :p Remember that CL600 pictures from the past? :p

*cough* Here are two pics of it I took half a year ago :p

Last edited: