Ownership Verified: Miami Weiß - My 1989 Chevrolet Corvette C4

Despite my put down of the C4 being in the record, I applaud your purchase! The thing will out handle the non-mulleted average man in his Renault Captur, and it will put a smile on your face every time you press down on the loud peddle.

Hell, I'm jealous. I miss having a V8.

So here are my option codes and what they mean, going by this source and this source:

AC1 - electric passenger seat
AC3 - electric drivers seat
AR9 - standard leather seats
AS8 - manual seat restraint (yeah, that's a thing in old cars...)
BGR - Bowling Green assembly
B4P - performance cooling system (glad to have that)
C68 - electronic climate control
DL8 - twin remote heated outside mirrors
D4D - speedometer driven gear 25513047 (unsure what this means)
D74 - illuminated driver vanity mirror
D9B - speedometer Sensor 25007308 (unsure aswell)
E5Z - delete speedometer adaptor
E9Z - delete speedometer key
FE7 - heavy duty suspension
FX3 - electronically adjustable suspension/dampers

GT7 - rear axle ratio 3.33 (right in the middle, some are slower, some are quicker)
G87 - ring gear 8.50 inch
J55 - high performance brake package (iirc this means 13 instead of 12 inch at the front)
KC4 - engine oil cooler (mine is slightly bent, but not leaky, and I think there are C4's without this - might corelate with B4P)
K68 - 105 amp generator
L98 - L98 5657cc Tuned Port Injection V8 engine
ML9 - manual 6-speed, ZF transmission
MN6 - manual 6-speed
(why is it twice on there)
NA5 - federal emission system requirements
NK4 - leather sports steering wheel
QA1 - styled aluminum wheels, 17 x 9.5"
UQ4 - Delco Bose four speaker system
UU8 - Delco Bose AM/FM stereo radio with cassette
U52 - instrument cluster
V01 - bigger water cooler
V73 - vehicle statement certification, US or Canada
XAU - front tyre P275/40 ZR17
YAU - rear tyre P275/40 ZR17
Z51 - performance handling package
1AY - stock order
1SB - marketed option package 2
1OU - ???
90I - ???
902 - interior grey coloured leather
909 - ???

I've marked the option codes which were important to me when looking and purchasing a C4 bold. It's cool to have the adjustable dampers as well, but they were never a requirement for me. So essentially I managed to get a car like I would have specced it back in the day. Now isn't that rare on the used market!

Interesting to know: my car could have come with UJ6 - electronic tyre pressure monitoring system. Do I need that? No. It would only break.

gDaQAqe.jpg

Also, I definitely need to source the front lip (greetings) that my car seems to be missing. I thought it was only for aerodynamical stability - turns out, it aids with cooling aswell (and with the Z51 handling package, might even be a little different than the stock three part lip).

qNUI89A.jpg

Last edited:
The numbers starting with 25... actually are parts numbers relating to the speedometer connector on the gearbox. I guess they are different between automatic and manual, and since automatic obviously is the standard, you have to delete the automatic-related parts and add the manual-related parts from the stock build.

Interesting. I didn't think of that.

So the other alternative is you can order it like a Caterham and assemble at home?

:D I don't really think there's an alternative. At least I don't know of one!

The numbers starting with 25... actually are parts numbers relating to the speedometer connector on the gearbox. I guess they are different between automatic and manual, and since automatic obviously is the standard, you have to delete the automatic-related parts and add the manual-related parts from the stock build.

IIRC, they are also different depending on the rear axle ratio, but I don't know if that were different options for that year.

Dude! I am so stoked for you.

I've been fantasizing about a junky C4 as a fun daily, but this thing is minty. Great example in the right spec. Love it, you bought well.

Hope I can see it in person at a future Ringmeet :)

You are all missing the most important thing: I can't wait for Radwood Germany.

Radholz!!!

EDIT:
1591804008250.jpeg

Thank you! I say go for a junkyard C4, you don't own enough cars yet! Also Radholz... wow. :D

:D I don't really think there's an alternative. At least I don't know of one!
Well yeah, that's my point. Aren't they all assembled at Bowling Green?

Such a cool car. :)

Corvettes were produced at three plants over the entire history of the Corvette. Flint Michigan for the 1953 model year only. Those 300 were hand built. Then production moved to St Louis Missouri, and then to Bowling Green Kentucky in 1981.

So here are my option codes and what they mean, going by this source and this source:

AC1 - electric passenger seat
AC3 - electric drivers seat
AR9 - standard leather seats
AS8 - manual seat restraint (yeah, that's a thing in old cars...)
BGR - Bowling Green assembly
B4P - performance cooling system (glad to have that)
C68 - electronic climate control
DL8 - twin remote heated outside mirrors
D74 - illuminated driver vanity mirror
FE7 - heavy duty suspension
FX3 - electronically adjustable suspension/dampers

GT7 - rear axle ratio 3.33 (right in the middle, some are slower, some are quicker)
G87 - ring gear 8.50 inch
J55 - high performance brake package (iirc this means 13 instead of 12 inch at the front)
KC4 - engine oil cooler (mine is slightly bent, but not leaky, and I think there are C4's without this - might corelate with B4P)
K68 - 105 amp generator
L98 - L98 5657cc Tuned Port Injection V8 engine
ML9 - manual 6-speed, ZF transmission
MN6 - manual 6-speed
(why is it twice on there)
NA5 - federal emission system requirements
NK4 - leather sports steering wheel
QA1 - styled aluminum wheels, 17 x 9.5"
UQ4 - Delco Bose four speaker system
UU8 - Delco Bose AM/FM stereo radio with cassette
U52 - instrument cluster
V01 - bigger water cooler
V73 - vehicle statement certification, US or Canada
XAU - front tyre P275/40 ZR17
YAU - rear tyre P275/40 ZR17
Z51 - performance handling package
1AY - stock order
1SB - marketed option package 2
1OU - ???
90I - ???
902 - interior grey coloured leather
909 - ???

I've marked the option codes which were important to me when looking and purchasing a C4 bold. It's cool to have the adjustable dampers as well, but they were never a requirement for me. So essentially I managed to get a car like I would have specced it back in the day. Now isn't that rare on the used market!

Interesting to know: my car could have come with UJ6 - electronic tyre pressure monitoring system. Do I need that? No. It would only break.

gDaQAqe.jpg

Also, I definitely need to source the front lip (greetings) that my car seems to be missing. I thought it was only for aerodynamical stability - turns out, it aids with cooling aswell (and with the Z51 handling package, might even be a little different than the stock three part lip).

qNUI89A.jpg

With the help of someone from the german Corvette forum I found the last three remaining codes:

10U (not 1OU) = Primary Colour Exterior, Arctic White
901 = Interior Trim, Med Smoke Gray
909 = Seat Belt Color Med Smoke Gray

IIRC, they are also different depending on the rear axle ratio, but I don't know if that were different options for that year.
This is normally done (at least in Euro cars) with different speedometers.

This is awesome.

I recognize those Nankang tires. I got the exact same ones on my Volvo 850 when I imported it from Germany in 2005 or so, so it's by no means a modern tire. Then again it's by no means a modern car. :p

So when do you install this? It'll pass inspection, don't worry.

d316602f0baa44491d681ec29bde0c7d.jpg

This is awesome.

I recognize those Nankang tires. I got the exact same ones on my Volvo 850 when I imported it from Germany in 2005 or so, so it's by no means a modern tire. Then again it's by no means a modern car. :p

Now this is interesting. Didn't knew the tyre design is that old. But who cares, I ordered them yesterday. :) Will get them mounted next week.
Sometimes, a modern and too grippy tyre can actually overwhelm an old suspension setup, especially the dampers, so ... yeah. I think I'd rather lose control at 70 kph instead of 170 kph. :D

Bring on Ringmeet 2021, so those of us in lands far away can see this in person! Awesome purchase!

It'll even be at Ringmeet this year, but of course for all overseas members I have to bring it next year, too. :D