Miata repair and parts location team, ASSSSSEMBLE! (Front Sway bar mount, DAMAGED!)

MattD1zzl3

2 Slow 2 Noisy
Car(s)
1996 & 2003 Mazda Miatas, 1995 Chevy Camaro Z28
Car:
2003 Miata MX-5

Issue:
Mysterious thunking noise when going over bumps

Diagnosis after inspection:
One of my front swaybar mounts has let go spectacularly (disconnecting the frame completely from the subframe on the righthand side, and is causing the sway bar to move around and contact the control arm lightly when going over bumps sometimes. Very scary, but doesnt appear to be hitting it solidly enough to damage the control arm beyond a little paint scraping, so for a week or so its still on the road. (if this is dangerous, let me know)

Why i'm bugging you about it:
Where can the mount ("L" shaped mount with 2 bolts attaching it to the subframe, located in the RH side wheel well, attached to the frame on one side and the U shaped swaybar bracket on the other) where can replacement units be located? I cant find one anywhere. Also this swaybar is huge and red, and as such is likely an aftermarket job, will this effect my ability to find replacement parts? The U bracket (which i am finding tons of online) that clamps it in is undamaged, which i assume is the part you change with an aftermarket bar, its the factory sheet metal part that attaches to the front subframe.

If you need pictures, ill get them up as soon as possible, my run of bad luck this month included my iphone taking a swim in a cat water bowl :cry:

Last edited:
Not sure about the car, but putting your phone in a bag of rice for 24hr with a heat source nearby should fix it (I did this to recover mine after running it through the wash).

1. I wouldn't drive a car around with a loose swaybar.

2. I would be curious to see how this failed. If it's stripped out the threads on the subframe you will have to get that repaired. As for the brackets, you can get some from Energy Suspension. There should be some specific to your car. If not, they make universals that will work. If you can get me a picture of the good one I can find you a replacement one.

The bolts are all quite tightly attached to the subframe still, its just the rest of the mount is disconnected by a through-and-through crack.

Its not the bushing (which is roughly U-shaped and loops over the swaybar, actually touching it), its the part that that part mounts to, which is an L-shaped bracket that mounts that U shaped bushing to the front subframe.

The diameter of the sway bar would not effect this part at all.

Last edited:
Its not the bushing (which is roughly U-shaped and loops over the swaybar, actually touching it), its the part that that part mounts to, which is an L-shaped bracket that mounts that U shaped bushing to the front subframe.

The diameter of the sway bar would not effect this part at all.

Yes it can/may. Some of the aftermarket roll bars use a thicker bushing too. But you should be able to get it ordered from a parts store. If not, sounds like you need to go to the junkyard or the Mazda dealer. Just take the old one for a comparison.