Michael Schumacher in critical condition after head trauma

tuned into the press conference a few minutes late, but I did hear them say at the moment there wasn't a need for a second surgery, so seems those reports over night were just rumours. there isn't much more they're saying other than taking it hour by hour at the moment.

They didn't give much away. He was agitated and distressed when he arrived but fell quickly into a coma. There are several lesions on his brain and they operated to remove the pressure in his head. They are continuing with other treatments to minimise the long-term damage and he is being kept in an artificial coma.

I guess that just as in Richard Hammond's case it is a matter of waiting and unless the worst happens any significant news will arrive in weeks and months rather than hours or days. Just got to hope for the best.

Really hope he pulls through this. If someone has the physical and mental strength to recover from this (if he passes this maximum-risk period), it's Schuey.

And 2013 has been a truly dreadful year for motorsport people. :(

I really hope he makes it. But at the moment good news sound different... :( Apparently his life is hanging by a thread...

I wish he has the inner strength to fight for his life, he has always been a rabid fighter and I hope it doesn't stop now.

Michael Schumacher in critical condition after head trauma

Just for everyone's learning:

Head trauma can slowly show it's ugly face over a period of time. He may have been fine after he hit his head but over the course of the day gone from a "head bump" to "critical and fighting for his life". The head is an ugly thing to mess with. Point is I doubt this was a lapse in reporting but I think the media may have been a bit confused as the info of his condition changed so fast over that period.

Source: I'v had 7 concussions

From what I could make out from the press conference with the help of a friend, who actually is a M.D.: There is damage from the initial impact despite the helmet. This damage cannot be reversed, but only rehabilitated within the healing capacities of a human brain. The likelihood of lasting effects is high. It could range from banal personality changes (Richard Hammond suddenly liked celery after his accident and the subsequent brain injury) to serious problems, like shizophrenia, loss of sight, paralysis etc. You can't say for sure until he can be brought out of the coma, which won't be before mid to end January.
Thenext weeks will be spent fightinh the swelling and hematoma to prevent secondary damages due to pressure on the brain. In any case, the rehabilitation process will take many months.

Here's hoping that the champ can fight through this.

Get well, Schumi. :(

Head trauma can slowly show it's ugly face over a period of time. He may have been fine after he hit his head but over the course of the day gone from a "head bump" to "critical and fighting for his life". The head is an ugly thing to mess with. Point is I doubt this was a lapse in reporting but I think the media may have been a bit confused as the info of his condition changed so fast over that period.

Source: I'v had 7 concussions

Yeah we at the Formula 1 circles know this too well since Maria De Villota died a year after her head injury while it seemed she was well on her way to a full recovery.

You can't say for sure until he can be brought out of the coma, which won't be before mid to end January.

where's been the news that they're expecting him to be in the coma until then?

where's been the news that they're expecting him to be in the coma until then?

Three Neurologists, asked about the situation have said that on German news channel Phoenix. They said it'll take at least 10 days until the brain swelling even starts to recede. Remember how it was with Wendlinger - he was in artificial coma for weeks and his injuries were very similar to Schumacher's.

He is a fit bloke, let us hope all will be well - fingers crossed.

I heard that the Doc said that had he not been wearing his helmet he would not have made the hospital alive.

Source: I've had 7 concussions

This is true. I know a paramedic that's been to numerous motorbike accidents, where the patient was conscious and alert, until the point they took off his helmet, and then they went downhill fast, as it was helping hold everything in tightly, and slow down the brain swelling.

Hopefully his helmet wasn't removed until he got to hospital.

This is true. I know a paramedic that's been to numerous motorbike accidents, where the patient was conscious and alert, until the point they took off his helmet, and then they went downhill fast, as it was helping hold everything in tightly, and slow down the brain swelling.

A helmet on the head is note known to prevent or slow down the onset of cerebral edema or hematoma. The timing from your friend's experiences may correlate, but it was not causative.

One thing to consider is PCS or Post Concussion Syndrome. PCS is a guarantee after any TBI. Now, the key note here is after a TBI or concussion you will obviously have side effects for example sensitivity to light, massive mood swings and even trouble putting thoughts together to name a few. One of the main points to remember is those effects should be gone after 6 months but the rule seems to be what ever effects are still present after 6 months are permanent.

An example is how I spent the night in the hospital last night because I couldn't even remember my name. What they did with me was put me in a dark room with NO stimulations such as noise for about an hour and I was able to go home. We figured out that being in the bar during the fight the night before (too much noise from to many sources for me to process) combined with playing hockey (forcing my brain to work to hard after the prior night) overstimulated my damaged brain so it began a "shut down sequence".

My concussions happened over a period of time some 6 years ago now and those are the side effects I still have and will have forever. I actually have to wear sunglasses from the moment the sun comes up till it's completely gone at night. So, if any of you ever meet me and I'm wearing shades, that's why, lol.

I hope that info helps you guys understand a little of what he will have to deal with. What I wrote is only the tip of the iceberg, I got lucky to be able to have a pretty normal life though but I doubt he will if he even pulls through. If you guys have any questions about TBI, PCS or just daily life living with this I'll be more than glad to answer. I know I'm not a doctor but I'm the next best thing, a living breathing person dealing with the after effects of his injuries.

A helmet on the head is note known to prevent or slow down the onset of cerebral edema or hematoma.
According to the German news tabloid Bild (not a very reliable source, but it could still be true), Schumis helmet was ?split open? when they found him. Whether it had just a big crack or had actually cracked completely is unknown.

EDIT:
I just heard the news channel N24 report of an eyewitness who saw Schumi's accident. According to him/her, Schumi caught a stone in the snow with his ski during his downhill, was thrown forwards and hit another stone with his helmet. The eyewitness also said that it happened so fast he had no time to pull his arms up for protection.

Last edited: