Michael Schumacher in critical condition after head trauma

Just watched the latest press conference:

- Doctors took another scan late yesterday afternoon.
- Scan showed Schumi was in a stable condition with no worsening of the initial lesions and some transitional improvement.
- Decision was taken by doctors and the family to operate again overnight.
- Operation lasted 2 hours and enabled the surgical and neurological team to remove a second haematoma from the left side of the brain.
- Subsequent scans indicate a slight improvement in Shumi's condition. The situation is better controlled than before however he is not yet out of danger and the coming hours are highly crucial.

Trust Clarkson to put his foot in it again...............

According to the German news tabloid Bild (not a very reliable source, but it could still be true), Schumis helmet was ?split open? when they found him. Whether it had just a big crack or had actually cracked completely is unknown.

EDIT:
I just heard the news channel N24 report of an eyewitness who saw Schumi's accident. According to him/her, Schumi caught a stone in the snow with his ski during his downhill, was thrown forwards and hit another stone with his helmet. The eyewitness also said that it happened so fast he had no time to pull his arms up for protection.

Damn. But here's hoping that we will eventually make a good recovery.

- - - Updated - - -

Trust Clarkson to put his foot in it again...............

Wait...what?

I read something on his Twitter, but I didn't see anything wrong with it. Just typical Jeremy speak....

It's these two tweets:

Jeremy Clarkson ?@JeremyClarkson 30 Dec
The worrying thing about brain injuries is that you can recover only to find you're a midget with a marked Birmingham accent when drunk.

Jeremy Clarkson ?@JeremyClarkson 30 Dec
In other words, it's possible after even a big brain bang to go back to exactly how you were before.

I saw it on Twitter, and didn't think much of it. It's Jeremy being Jeremy.
He didn't mean it in an offensive way, or to make it sound like the accidents (both Richard's and Michael's) are not at all serious, but you can't control how other people interpret it.

Some people use humour as a defence or coping mechanism, and there will always be other people who take offence to it.

Latest statement from his manager reports there has been no change in his condition and he remains stable. No press conferences till there is a change in his condition.

Local news said he was off the route to help a kid that has fallen...sounds so weird. Anyone got this on non-Brazilian news?

Ive heard the same about him helping someone just before he fell,and also have some admittedly trivial news about this: Schueys wife gave him some lucky locket thing he supposedly always wore when racing... Can't hurt i suppose...

Local news said he was off the route to help a kid that has fallen...sounds so weird. Anyone got this on non-Brazilian news?
I heard the same thing in today's news. Schumi went off the official downhill tracks to help a kid that had fallen. He then continued his downhill from where he was, which was no partiularly difficult or dangerous area as such. Nonetheless, it seems it was an area with some pointy stones, covered to be invisible by fresh snow. Schumi then caught a stone with a ski and was thrown against another stone with his head.

Regarding updates, the docs said that they can only wait and see how Schumi's condition develops within the next days and weeks, so there might not be many updates for the time being. As far as I know, they will wait until the swelling of his brain has disappeared and then carefully take him out of the artificial coma to find out how bad the damage is.

Last edited:
some interesting photos/diagrams/details have come out about the area. The BBC has been heavily pointing to Schuey being "off piste", it seems the area that the accident happened was between two pistes, for anyone that skis/snowboards probably wouldn't count it as "off piste" as the media has been portraying it (as though he was massively away from the piste). Given the area that it happened and how exposed the rocks were wouldn't be surprising if there was some legal implications from the accident.

1635397_pic_970x641.jpg

1635407_pic_970x641.jpg

AccidentRoute_499372a.jpg

source of photos:
http://www.24heures.ch/sports/actu/schumacher-toujours-coma/story/14762964
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/europe/article3962801.ece