Michelin won't allow teams to race at Indy

I think it's completely FIA's fault. The only solution suitable for them would have been a speed limit for the Michelin cars in turn 13. Being in favor of a certain team called Ferrari? Nah, not at all.

Although that would have been better than what happened, because then atleast two Michelin cars would have gotten some points. And most importantly, the fans would have seen the race. Jordan and Minardi against each other, the Michelin teams againt each other and the Ferraris against each other. Just like last year. :lol:

the fans were really pisssed I read that before the race they had 120,000 fans and during the race only 3,000.
man it sucked and being a sports fan you know how it pisses a person when the team you support doesn't come up to expectations

It would really take the piss if the FIA actually do fine the teams. If the guy who said that the track had been resurfaced and other racing cars had had tire problems as well was indeed correct, the there is no way that michelin could have known this from the limited testing done in the US. This means, in fact that it was the fault of the FIA, NOT michelin or the teams, for booking the racers on a potentially unsafe race track.

i read somewhere that from 150,000people 120,00remained watching. i dont know the exact numbers and who's telling the truth, but just from watching my bet is that at least 1/3 if not more of the people left, and i guess not many remained infront of the tv to watch the whole "race". very bad day for f1, for the sport, for the audience for everyone related to f1... :thumbsdown:

I watched the whole race, I was so surprised when the teams went in. This won't be good for F1 at all.

Yeah, im the fan that they are targeting that they shunned from the sport as a result of the infighting and petty childishness of the situation. I am an American consumer that would be willing to travel to an F1 event anywhere in the eastern 2/3rds of the country to see a battle of driver and machine. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) F1 won't be getting any of my (soon to be increasing) income, until someone can prove to the American public, which I thought they were trying to attract with the US Grand Prix, that F1 isn't full of itself (which I think it may have already done with the Michelin incident and the whole dealing with the IMS). Unfortunately I see this as the end of F1 events on US TV and possibly here in the US, which is sad, since that only leaves us with NASCAR and IRL, which both include a whole lot of "speedway" tracks.

hokiethang said:
that only leaves us with NASCAR and IRL, which both include a whole lot of "speedway" tracks.

don't forget CART and ALMS!!!

I hope they move the race back to Long Beach and clean up thier act.

Michelin are babies. They brought the wrong feeders so they want to take away the milk from bridgestone :lol: :lol: Mitch can't drink so bridge shouldn't either..My foot!!! Michelin acted childlish by dropping out of the race.

So glad ferrari won. here is what I think of Michelin :

but raheel, michelin dropped out for safety reasons.... who knows what would have happened if they let the race run as usual

yes they dropped out for safety reasons. they could also have raced at a slower pace. If the chicane was allowed, they would drive slower, but so would Bridgestones. michelin made a mistake and they wanted bridgestone to suffer too.

FIA said said:
"Formula One is a sporting contest. It must operate by clear rules. These cannot be negotiated each time a competitor brings the wrong equipment to a race. The Michelin teams' lack of speed through turn 13 would have been a direct result of inferior equipment, as often happens in Formula One."

That quote above clarifies FIA's decision.

^you won't want 14cars driving at 1 pace with different braking points compared to the other 6 cars, in normal F1, all the cars have very similar braking points and stuff, if the Michelin runners brake 50m earlier and the bridgestone runners are not expecting it, it would cause even more trouble, but this has past and I have nothing against Michelin runners not racing, its just that I read in another thread that they are getting penalized for it which is ridiculous

Well Michelin was given an offer in which they would put speed limits on turn 13. they rejected that. maybe thats why they are penalised.

I don't think they were being childish and wanted everything for themselves, yes the chicane would have slowed down the bridgestone runners as well, but it would have been safer than running at different speeds. Plus they also said they were willing to race for no points so that even if the first bridgestone runner finished 14th they would still walk away with 10 points. To be fair to ferrari though, even if they had agreed to it, it would have been the underlaying decision of the FIA, and given how much of a twat Max Mosley is, it was never gonna happen.

People have a go at ferrari for being self rightous and always voting for things in their favour rather than for the good of the sport, but to he honest max mosley is the real problem.

To be honest with you, i think some of the other teams bring it on themselves. Sure i got a little disheartened watching Ferrari winning all the time, but the reason is because they were the best all round outright, and whilst everyone else was busy moaning and making excuses, ferrari got on with the job in hand.

Also, Paul Stoddart is really beginning to piss me off with his 'Its always Ferrari's and the FIA's fault' attitude!

Skett, Michelin had 3 visits to the track to inspect the track surface prior to the gp weekend, so saying that had no idea what it was like is, frankly, wrong!

LessThanSte said:
To be honest with you, i think some of the other teams bring it on themselves. Sure i got a little disheartened watching Ferrari winning all the time, but the reason is because they were the best all round outright, and whilst everyone else was busy moaning and making excuses, ferrari got on with the job in hand.

Also, Paul Stoddart is really beginning to piss me off with his 'Its always Ferrari's and the FIA's fault' attitude!

Skett, Michelin had 3 visits to the track to inspect the track surface prior to the gp weekend, so saying that had no idea what it was like is, frankly, wrong!

There are somethings you can only get when running at race pace.

raheel_qamar said:
yes they dropped out for safety reasons. they could also have raced at a slower pace. If the chicane was allowed, they would drive slower, but so would Bridgestones. michelin made a mistake and they wanted bridgestone to suffer too.

FIA said said:
"Formula One is a sporting contest. It must operate by clear rules. These cannot be negotiated each time a competitor brings the wrong equipment to a race. The Michelin teams' lack of speed through turn 13 would have been a direct result of inferior equipment, as often happens in Formula One."

That quote above clarifies FIA's decision.

That isn't called racing. Everyone who is racing will push till it breaks... Can you honestly see 14 cars going at a slower pace in turn 13? BS!! They would have kept going, till there was an accident. And if someone died? As I said earlier, if I was a team manager, I would have done the exact same thing. The only thing that disgusts me, is that because of some twats F1 is losing all credibility. F1 started as gentlemen racing. In the early days, they even drove the cars from England to Italy to race there. It was about the race and the show, not about winning at all costs.

Bihus said what I wanted to say as well... I think all the team managers did the right thing by pulling their cars out of the race, F1 is nothing without its fans and the show, its not just about winning

andyhui01 said:
Bihus said what I wanted to say as well... I think all the team managers did the right thing by pulling their cars out of the race, F1 is nothing without its fans and the show, its not just about winning

There are regulations that state that if the tyre supplier says the tyre is dangerous and that the teams CANT race then the team owners have no choice!

I am 100% sure that Michelin went to Indy months before the race to test the new surface. Because they knew that it will have a different affect on the tyre. Its common practice. Obviously Bridgestone didnt have to do it because they have Firestone which is the American version of Bridgestone.

If i were the head of the FIA i wouldve done the same thing. No question about it. FIA did the right thing. They said 'rules are rules' and we wont blackmailed.

I don't think it was Ferarri who rejected the offer (not that they wouldn't do anything like that). But I think it was Bridgestone who said to ferarri to reject the chicane. Bridgestone and Ferrari are best buddies, it makes the tyres for the ferrari (and only for the ferarri).