Microsoft admits Vista failure

also MS sold a mere 244 copies of vista in the whole of china.

i suspect, those 244 have been through the copy process numerous times.

Vista isn't meant for low-end systems, have you read their requirements? Don't complain if it won't run on 10-year-old hardware.
The desktop is 3D-accelerated and can render things much faster than the old 2D GDI system used in the previous versions of Windows (of course you'll need a proper video card/chipset).

It's strange, because WinXP did decently well on old-ass systems. I had it running on a P2 based Celeron with 64mb ram, and while it wasn't fast, it ran decently well for normal non-gaming tasks.

Granted, Windows Vista comes with some nice (looking) stuff. But I'm not convinced that if offers me anything meaningful that XP / Ubuntu Linux doesn't.

Modern Linuxes will run very well on old hardware though. 8)

I've been using Vista for about two months now and I've had little to no problems.

It seems the only people having problems with Vista are those who don't use it :blink:

Yeah, this seems to me just like another case of the anti-Microsoft bandwagon effect.

Yes, Vista won't be running on your PIII machine from 1999, so what? There's enough options with the GUI and graphics that most newish machines should be able to handle it. Heck, my machine is 3 years old and Vista runs so well on it... it seems at least 20 percent faster that XP ever was on my comp.

Yeah, this seems to me just like another case of the anti-Microsoft bandwagon effect.

And Vista-users on the other hand are trying hard to make their selection seem wise and reasonable :p

But seriously, I like XP a lot more than Vista. Does that make me an MS-hater? Since I like their older product more than the new one? Come on :rolleyes:

I've used XP for several years at home and work in pretty perfect harmony, but the three new Vista equipped laptops we've received at work have been rather problematic. And since I only set them up, I haven't seen the full picture...but the comments from the users of those laptops haven't been all that complimentary either :-D They all would rather have XP on their machines, because Vista _is_ slow (and remember, brand new laptops with plenty of cpu-power&ram) and it keeps asking confirmation for all kinds of tasks, some programs they need don't work properly... I'll admit I'm no Vista pro, I could and should probably get to know it more, but I seriously don't want to :D

It just sucks since we can't get any new laptops with XP anymore (we order from IBM/Lenovo), it just would be so much simpler and easier. If people want to get Vista, go ahead. I don't have a problem with that. What I DO have a problem with, is the fact that I can't choose XP over Vista if I want to. (well, I can at home, but not at work)

People said the same shit about XP when it first came out:

"Windows 98SE 4 lyf3!"

Now I hear:

"Windows XP 4 lyf3, Vista is t3h suxx0r!"

And Vista-users on the other hand are trying hard to make their selection seem wise and reasonable :p

But seriously, I like XP a lot more than Vista. Does that make me an MS-hater? Since I like their older product more than the new one? Come on :rolleyes:

I've used XP for several years at home and work in pretty perfect harmony, but the three new Vista equipped laptops we've received at work have been rather problematic. And since I only set them up, I haven't seen the full picture...but the comments from the users of those laptops haven't been all that complimentary either :-D They all would rather have XP on their machines, because Vista _is_ slow (and remember, brand new laptops with plenty of cpu-power&ram) and it keeps asking confirmation for all kinds of tasks, some programs they need don't work properly... I'll admit I'm no Vista pro, I could and should probably get to know it more, but I seriously don't want to :D

It just sucks since we can't get any new laptops with XP anymore (we order from IBM/Lenovo), it just would be so much simpler and easier. If people want to get Vista, go ahead. I don't have a problem with that. What I DO have a problem with, is the fact that I can't choose XP over Vista if I want to. (well, I can at home, but not at work)

And i heard EVERY SINGLE ONE of those complaints 5 years ago when XP first came out, and look where we stand now. People don't like it when things change. Humans like things to remain the same, so every change will be met with resistance, and will initially be thought of as one for the worst. But after people have had time to adapt (sometimes with a little help, that is where I come in and make my money) the change will be liked and the old situation will be frowned upon.

^:yes:

Agreed, there's alway a bit of a shock when you change to a new OS... it takes a while to get used to everything. I must say that Vista has actually been an easy upgrade for me... XP gave me a lot of shit on my old PII when I initially installed... most drivers didn't work etc.

The thing is, I don't have a _need_ to change to Vista. Change itself is not enough a reason, change for better would be a different thing. I'm perfectly content with using XP and I have yet to see or hear a good reason to change to Vista. Everything I do on my computer I can do with XP.

And no, I'm not yelling "XP 4 lif3!1", I know that some day I'll have to upgrade. But when that day comes, it'll be for a reason that I do not yet have. Maybe I'll upgrade to Vista, or maybe I'll wait for the Windows that's coming after that. After all, I pretty much skipped 2000 and ME :p

^ I agree. For now there's no reason for me to change and have to get used to a whole new OS. And driver support is poor at the moment. When I build my next system that has a DX10 capable video card, and maybe after a service pack or 2, then I would upgrade.

But Vista has lots to offer. The interface looks and works a lot better than before. You might even get a performance increase like I did... and there's other things like the indexed searching and new versions of all programs from ActiveSync to WMP. Look here for a list of Vista's new features.

What do you guys think of Office 2007 then? I thought the layout looked weird, but after a semester of writing papers on it, I actually find the new GUI very, very efficient to use... and it looks great in black skin to go with Aero:

http://img187.imageshack.**/img187/2928/untitledws2.jpg

Last edited:
I am liking office 2007 a lot. The interface takes some getting used to (i remember searching for 5 minutes for the "print" button before settling for CTRL-P) but after a while it is so nice to be able to see what kind of functions are available without needing to go through a billion menus first like in earlier versions.

(And i just picked up Office 2007 Enterprise Edition for ?16.50)

PS.
That feature list on wikipedia is far from complete.

But Vista has lots to offer. The interface looks and works a lot better than before. You might even get a performance increase like I did... and there's other things like the indexed searching and new versions of all programs from ActiveSync to WMP.

Well, I like the classic look (the XP classic, not the XP "candy"), it's more logical and it's efficient. And I doubt I'd get a performance increase on my computer (xp2500+ & 2GB & R9800 Pro). And for the others, 1) I very rarely use search 2) I don't sync anything and 3) I use classic media player or VLC. As for Office 2007...well, looks ok, but like the search, I very rarely use Office.

Sorry, but it's still a no :p

I jumped feet-first into XP before it was even released, but I'm wary of Vista. I hate glitzy interfaces and I'm not completely sold on the Vista GUI yet. I have Office 2007 and while it's an OK app, I've had huge issues making files compatible with the Office 2003 format that our schools use.

You can tell Word to save your files in .doc like previous versions of Office instead of .docx so it works with them all.

Really? Works fine for me. I had to do it because the Mac version of Office is old school and can't read the new formats.

It should definately work all the time, so you might wanna look into a solution.

well for an operating system that "failed" microsoft made a shitload of cash off it

http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,23636,21629965-31037,00.html

MICROSOFT Corporation reported overnight that its profits soared to a record high in the first three months of the year due to sales of its new Vista operating system and Office software.

Profit in the quarter ending March 31 was $US4.43 billion ($5.4 billion), or 50 cents per share, as compared to 29 cents per share, or $US2.98 billion, in the same period in 2006.