Microsoft admits Vista failure

There you all go... although the anti-MS people will come up with another excuse.

"Oh, that don't count, we all know Bill Gates likes to fudge the books. Go Linux! It's a bitch to use but it's not Windows so you can keep your head high among your nerd friends."

Dell announced that it would be offering XP again on home PCs.

Do you know when? My fried wants to order a notebook, but they are still only offering XP on their site.

16.50?? I have to pay a whooping ?48.75. You don't happen to do deals on that do you? :rolleyes:

I think people might get suspicious here if i come back for another 10 copies :p

So it's only for people working where you work (ROC?). Too bad then, I guess I have to take the surfspot deal then.

but you can almost hear the defectors marching toward Linux.

What a fucking idiot. What a badly written biased argument.

Its still early days for Vista, I used it for a little while and it was fine, its just that my 30 days expired and I could never hack it. If this guy knew how much more stable and secure Windows Vista he wouldn't be calling it Windows ME Two. Me was useless, Vista may not have the amazing functionality changes we saw between Windows 3.1 and Windows 95, instead it has huge behind the scenes changes.

Microsoft bashers can be so irrational.

Last edited:
People said the same shit about XP when it first came out:

"Windows 98SE 4 lyf3!"

Now I hear:

"Windows XP 4 lyf3, Vista is t3h suxx0r!"
So true. Sooner or later everybody will make the switch and be happy. I got Vista Ultimate for free and I plan to install it on my laptop in the next couple of weeks.

BTW, my laptop has those buttons to enable and disable Bluetooth and WiFi. Does stuff like this get recognized by Vista or do I need some kind of driver? (Which I'm afraid I can't get from the manufacturer of my laptop.)

TIA!

The thing that gets me about it is that yet again Microsoft seem to have made a bad copy of Mac OS AGAIN! I'm not some Mac fan...I don't have one personally, but I do like the interface and they always introduce new an innovative features on their new releases. Microsoft just seem to then hurry out some bodged OS that tries to do the same things. Whilst I appreciate you can't compare stability as Windows hardware is infinately more variable than Apple, but even so.....Why should we have to put up with Beta testing stuff. There's no excuse why it shouln't work first time out!

I do have a Mac as well and I realize the similarities but I can't blame Microsoft. I mean sure, Apple was the first to introduce indexed searching or gadgets/widgets for example, but these are pretty standard things to have in an OS.

Just because Mercedes was the first to use ABS in a car, does that make it wrong that every other manufacturer soon followed them?

The thing that gets me about it is that yet again Microsoft seem to have made a bad copy of Mac OS AGAIN! I'm not some Mac fan...I don't have one personally, but I do like the interface and they always introduce new an innovative features on their new releases. Microsoft just seem to then hurry out some bodged OS that tries to do the same things. Whilst I appreciate you can't compare stability as Windows hardware is infinately more variable than Apple, but even so.....Why should we have to put up with Beta testing stuff. There's no excuse why it shouln't work first time out!

The thing that gets me about it is that yet again Microsoft seem to have made a bad copy of Mac OS AGAIN! I'm not some Mac fan...I don't have one personally, but I do like the interface and they always introduce new an innovative features on their new releases. Microsoft just seem to then hurry out some bodged OS that tries to do the same things.

I heard about that, and I also heard that Microsoft had many of the functions you see on OS X on their 'early alpha versions' well before OS X did. Read the Wikipedia article on Vista under criticisms.

I haven't upgraded to Vista because:

1. It's New
I don't ever upgrade to a new version of Windows the day it comes out. Or the week. Or the month. Or even the year. It's just dumb. I waited until SP2 to upgrade to XP because I felt it simply wasn't ready until then (blaster still affects everything NT5 that's pre-SP2).

2. Microsoft is in bed with Hollywood
I'm not going be one of the poor suckers who becomes one of Hollywood's drones. I'm disgusted at how much time and effort Microsoft has thrown in the trash for Hollywood's BS at the expense of system performance, stability, security and -- worst of all -- freedom.

3. General Lack of Need
I have no problems with XP. There's nothing that Vista has over XP that makes me want to upgrade.

If you'd actually tried Vista out you would know that despite everyone's worry that Vista would be riddled with anti-piracy and copyright DRM stuff, it actually doesn't prevent you from doing anything. I still use my MP3s and DivX/XviD files as I did under XP... absolutley nothing has changed.

2. Microsoft is in bed with Hollywood
I'm not going be one of the poor suckers who becomes one of Hollywood's drones. I'm disgusted at how much time and effort Microsoft has thrown in the trash for Hollywood's BS at the expense of system performance, stability, security and -- worst of all -- freedom.

Actually I'm having a problem playing copy-protected DVDs in Vista. I think it's due to my custom firmware I have loaded on my DVD burner which allows it to play any region-locked DVD. I have to use AnyDVD to get the damn things to even load!

Don't watch too many DVDs but I'm pretty sure the one time I tried it worked fine for me.

I have no problem with DVDs from any region nor do i have problems with any Audio/Video file i've ever tried. In fact i'd say vista is more Rip friendly than XP was.

Sure OSX may have been first with a fully animated interface and gadgets, but it still feels like playing with a Fisher-Price toy and has about the same functionality. I like my OS to be classy, grown up and most of all, user friendly so I use Vista.

There's a good reason why 96% of the worlds computer users use Windows and only 2% use mac.

Last edited: