Microsoft admits Vista failure

To me right now Vista is a good looking, overpriced OS that I have no real need for, Ill make the switch over at the bitter end if I really have to.

Office 2007 is great though, looks good and the new layout is really easy to use after a few uses.

Vista won't be a failure anyways, soon as it comes preinstalled on everything after XP support goes the way of the McLaren F1.

^ Then I'll buy my first ever MAC - 'GET IT RIGHT' Microsoft, you've got two service packs like with XP - or have you?.

I have grown to like XP but Vista pricing in the UK, and the issues that friends are having make me wonder. ... Fatmouse thanks for pointing that out.

Wait, people are still paying for software? Like I always do but I thought I was the only one left.

^ Then I'll buy my first ever MAC - 'GET IT RIGHT' Microsoft, you've got two service packs like with XP - or have you?.

the difference is that apple charge you for the fix.

Last edited:
Office 2007 is great though, looks good and the new layout is really easy to use after a few uses.

yeah i have the 60 day trial and i love it, apart from the fact that you can't add buttons from the control toolbox in Excel, because it isn't there :mad:

screwed up my ICT coursework big time!

I installed Vista as a secondary system yesterday, as I get the Buisness version for free from my uni..........I must admit, it doesn?t look and perform as bad as I thought, I actually quite like it.........after turning of some annoying things like the UAC :)

Can anyone explain the appeal of Ubuntu for me? It's not that fast, it's not easy to use, interface can be hard on the eyes, and I managed to crash it while trying out screensavers.

Sure. I use it for a couple of reasons:
1. I often have to ssh and use remote X tunneling, and both of those are conveniently there. (though there are ways to get it on Windows, but not for free)
2. The interface is pretty minimalist and intuitive, and on my computer runs faster than Windows XP . I especially like the multiple virtual desktop switcher.
3. Easy to use is subjective. I feel that while it is different from Windows and MacOS, it is as easy to pick up either of them.
4. Easier to do software development on it, in my opinion.
5. More of an advanced feature, but if you don't like the way something is, you can probably change it. Things like the desktop/window manager used (Gnome vs KDE vs others).
6. Most non-3d Windows software (and some but not all 3d stuff) runs well under WINE. DX7 games run fine, but more modern stuff is a more hit or miss affair. Unless the game is written in openGL instead of DirectX (<3).

The above points are common to all Linux dstributions- the one most Ubuntu specific is ease of use.

To be fair, a couple of the downsides:
1. Nobody writes games for Linux. :cry: (except for a few like UT and Doom)
2. Some software can be somewhat hard to install.

Can anyone explain the appeal of Ubuntu for me? It's not that fast, it's not easy to use, interface can be hard on the eyes, and I managed to crash it while trying out screensavers.

The problem is with the video drivers. It will lock up if you do not have 3D capable drivers when trying to use a 3D screensaver so you will have to install the restricted drivers. Start up synaptic and search for restricted.

Be careful, just because you can watch video files and listen to audio files doesn't mean information about your collection isn't being catalogued and sent back to Microsoft for whatever use they decide to put it to. That may be a/the reason Vista has to phone home every now and then. And if it doesn't within a certain amount of time it will deactivate itself until you allow it to do so.

Another thing is that the video has to be above 800X600 in terms of number of pixels before the degraded video will kick in and I think it is currently switched off and won't be turned on until Microsoft thinks that the vast majority of users have pure HDMI with HDCP connections on their video stream.

The problem is with the video drivers. It will lock up if you do not have 3D capable drivers when trying to use a 3D screensaver so you will have to install the restricted drivers. Start up synaptic and search for restricted.

Sounds like fairly crappy code IMHO. By the way, I never got the hang of how to change/install drivers either. One would think that it'd be fairly easy to find, but I couldn't figure it out.