Microsoft admits Vista failure

That's because there was a whole mixup at Microsoft about their upcoming OSs. Around 2000 or 2001 they announced both Vista (called Longhorn then) and Vienna (called Blackcomb then). Vista was supposed to come out in a year or two and Vienna was supposed to come out around this time.

But Vista kept getting pushed back and so did its successor. Vista was supposed to be a minor upgrade to XP with Vienna being the big upgrade, but a lot of the tech they were gonna put in Vienna ended up in Vista anyway.

So Vienna is actually just going to be a minor upgrade for vista ?

Nobody knows yet I don't think... it probably won't be as big an upgrade as Vista was. I'm just guessing though... some features were announced for Vista but were abanoded, those are going to be in Vienna. Aside from that little has been revealed by MS.

but a lot of the tech they were gonna put in Vienna ended up in Vista anyway.

I have to laugh about WinFS (and its predecessor object-oriented file system before that). I think it was supposed to first appear in Windows 2000? Still MIA.

My brother-in-law just bought a brand new HP laptop with the hopes of finally being able to get his vids off of his camcorder, only to find out that JVC has no plans of making a Vista driver for his model, yet the camcorder is only about a year old and he paid about $400 for it. How lame is that?

My suggestions was to say "screw Vista" and just install XP, but HP doeesn't provide XP drivers for most of the hardware on the laptop, such as the audio, video, touch pad, etc. So in other words, he's stuck with Vista and pissed.

Last edited:
Don't blame Vista for the lazyness of hardware manufacturers

Regardless of who is to blame, if it wasn't for Vista, he wouldn't have this problem. Also, after playing with it for awhile, I'm not impressed.

Last edited:
I have to laugh about WinFS (and its predecessor object-oriented file system before that). I think it was supposed to first appear in Windows 2000? Still MIA.

try around 1993 with a canned version of windows

Eh, Vista is nice with all the fancy new 3D interface, but it's just makes no sense to go spend $300 or so bucks (How much is ultimate in aussieland?) on a operating system that gives me no real advantages. Most of my stuff won't work properly with Vista anyway, so I can't see the point.

Well.. as I see it, it's a boob job for your already quite good looking girlfriend. Apart from she's all sore from the operation and it's going to take 1-2 years for the pain to go away and for her to make love to you again :lol:

;)

Regardless of who is to blame, if it wasn't for Vista, he wouldn't have this problem. Also, after playing with it for awhile, I'm not impressed.
This is not a Microsoft issue.
No, it is a Microsoft issue. Since they leaped into bed with Hollywood, they have made their specifications so impossibly complex and laden with DRM. Never have we seen such latency in driver and software support for a new Microsoft operating system; and it's no coincidence.

Check out Peter Gutman's Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection and you'll understand why (warning: contains very dry, uber-geek information :p)

but HP doeesn't provide XP drivers for most of the hardware on the laptop, such as the audio, video, touch pad, etc. So in other words, he's stuck with Vista and pissed.
There are probably XP drivers available direct from each major individual component's manufacturer (eg.: Intel VGA, 3COM Ethernet, etc.; or whatever the components' manufacturers happen to be).

Good luck :)

Last edited:
First of all, you've probably never even used Vista. Second, do you really think JVC is having a tough time writing drivers for Vista because of DRM? Wow, just wow. Did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, JVC wants you to buy a new camcorder that's Vista compatible?

HP is the worst offender for driver support, read this article:

"It varies where the cutoff for support is," Crandall said. "If you have a product that's three years old or newer, that's probably going to be supported."

Other older products may not have full driver support, but rather just enough to get their basic functions to work under Vista.

Check this sh*t out, this is how I install "drivers" for my dad's printer:

Installing the printer driver

1. Verify that the printer is turned on.
2. Connect the Universal Serial Bus (USB) cable to the printer and to the computer.
3. A Your devices are ready to use window might display on the screen. If the window displays and does not close automatically, close the window.
4. Print a test page to verify that the printer is working correctly.

WTF? HP doesn't even have proper drivers/software for it, you have to use the basic drivers that are already in Vista!

Eh, Vista is nice with all the fancy new 3D interface, but it's just makes no sense to go spend $300 or so bucks (How much is ultimate in aussieland?) on a operating system that gives me no real advantages. Most of my stuff won't work properly with Vista anyway, so I can't see the point.

Well.. as I see it, it's a boob job for your already quite good looking girlfriend. Apart from she's all sore from the operation and it's going to take 1-2 years for the pain to go away and for her to make love to you again :lol:

;)

Ultimate is $779 to $799 depending on where you look.

This is not a Microsoft issue.

So what? It's an issue related to Vista. That's my point. If he had XP, there would be no issue.

That's so stupid. If he didn't buy a JVC camera, there would be no issue either.

Well, whatever. Vista is ghey at this point, IMO. ............and JVC is too for that matter, so you are partially correct ;)

No, it is a Microsoft issue. Since they leaped into bed with Hollywood, they have made their specifications so impossibly complex and laden with DRM.

Quit saying that....jesus christ. Yeah DRM sucks, but has little to no effect on why his brothers(or whoever) camera doesn't have drivers. He doesn't have drivers because JVC hasn't written any. You think JVC is just gonna run out and spend thousands and thousands to make drivers for a camera they've already sold you? HA!

You know anything about computers at all? Of course it's more complex....about 10 years more complex and XP. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Everyone bitched about how XP wasn't really an upgrade, but then they actually make an upgrade and everyone bitchs about that too.

Vista is great, because it's actually an upgraded OS, not some comicbook layover like ME, or XP was. I agree DRM sucks, but something was going to happen, you think MS was just gonna continue to give software away? Do you actually blame them?

BTW: I hate MS more than anyone here....and would gladly run DOS if I could. lol

Well... I'm going to order my new computer tonight from Dell. I'm sick of screwing around with my old pos. Unfortunately Dell doesn't offer XP for the system I'm going to get. Kinda sucks, but oh well. Going to need to upgrade to Vista sooner or later, might as well be sooner.