Middle East and North Africa Unrest

Could the same strategy, that worked in Libya, have worked in Iraq? (without the "Arab spring" serving as a catalyst in the region).

On one hand I'm not surprised that Gaddafi was found and killed in Libya. On the other, what the fuck was he thinking? I know he was delusional, but he had to realize there was no way to retake the country.

Could the same strategy, that worked in Libya, have worked in Iraq? (without the "Arab spring" serving as a catalyst in the region).
Maybe back in '90, but not this last time around.

Iraq was and is too fragmented. It was just thrown together after World War I. Only a ruthless dictator like Saddam was able to keep it in one piece. No I'm not pro Saddam, I think Iraq should be broken up, but there would be unfavorable fallout in that event to say the least.

I wonder when the first western newspaper will call any muslim party entering the elections "islamist". That would make at least the US Republicans and German CDU (conservatives) "Crusader" partys.

I wonder when the first western newspaper will call any muslim party entering the elections "islamist". That would make at least the US Republicans and German CDU (conservatives) "Crusader" partys.
Well, they tried their best with Erdogan... :(

Well, they tried their best with Erdogan... :(
You know why the Christian Democrats score so high in many parts of Berlin? Because the conservative, middle-aged population of turkish descent is all for family values, law and order and business-orientated policy. They could not care less if it's "christian" or "muslim" family values.

reason for concern:

Libya: Apparent Execution of 53 Gaddafi Supporters
Bodies Found at Sirte Hotel Used by Anti-Gaddafi Fighters
October 24, 2011

(Sirte) ? Fifty-three people, apparent Gaddafi supporters, seem to have been executed at a hotel in Sirte last week, Human Rights Watch said today. The hotel is in an area of the city that was under the control of anti-Gaddafi fighters from Misrata before the killings took place.

Not suprising. Is there ever been a civil war where neither side didn't do war crimes?

You can count them along with the 25,000 killed by both sides during the war.

reason for concern:

(Sirte) ? Fifty-three people, apparent Gaddafi supporters, seem to have been executed at a hotel in Sirte last week, Human Rights Watch said today. The hotel is in an area of the city that was under the control of anti-Gaddafi fighters from Misrata before the killings took place.

Those guys from the Misrata Brigade are a bit of a concern.
They have been telling the media that it was they who did all the real fighting in Tripoli and Sirte, etc, true or not who knows?

And, Gadaffi's body was taken to Misrata and they wouldn't release it to the interim government until today.

Also, they are not engaged with the NTC at a political level and apparently have ignored them for some time.

That doesn't look so good for unity.

Last edited:
While the guy clearly broke rules, he wasn't a War Criminal as far as I can tell. It is a shame that he wasn't able to reach out for assistance with his PTSD problems. I know more than a few that have such problems and the military/VA just kind of shuffle them off and throw pills at them. But that is what the US military does, just get them out of there and cover it up or ignore it until they can't any longer.

If you ask me, it isn't so much financial support but rather protection money...

Last edited:
So now bombing Syria. May work until the next radical group that's worse than Al Qaeda ISIS comes along.

Failed strategy. History repeating itself etc etc