Migrating database from web host to another

darkshark0159

Car(s)
Mercedes-Benz C240 W203, British Rail Class 450
I've been doing some web design work, and I may have to migrate a database from one webhost to another. Has anyone else done this here? Any tips or words of warning? I'll probably Google on the subject as well, but any advice would be cool. Thanks!

I don't know any specifics yet, just that I will be transferring a database from a private server (I'm assuming Linux) to a Linux host like 1and1.

First of all, unless you have already signed up with 1and1, I would suggest looking elsewhere if possible. I got a free account with them several years ago, and it wasn't even worth what I paid for it.

As for the SQL, assuming you're using MySQL (which is very likely), if you have phpmyadmin (also quite likely), just go in there, click "Export" (top bar), select the databases you want to move, and make sure both "Structure" and "Data" are checked. Then, on the new host, go into phpmyadmin again and click import and attach the file.

If you don't have access to phpmyadmin, or your dataset is too big to easily download and upload to/from your PC, I can certainly fill you in on the command-line method too, but for most people phpmyadmin is easier.

Please stay far, far away from 1and1. I used to use them, and I have had the devil's own time trying to reclaim my domain name, as well as other misc billing issues.

First of all, unless you have already signed up with 1and1, I would suggest looking elsewhere if possible. I got a free account with them several years ago, and it wasn't even worth what I paid for it.

As for the SQL, assuming you're using MySQL (which is very likely), if you have phpmyadmin (also quite likely), just go in there, click "Export" (top bar), select the databases you want to move, and make sure both "Structure" and "Data" are checked. Then, on the new host, go into phpmyadmin again and click import and attach the file.

If you don't have access to phpmyadmin, or your dataset is too big to easily download and upload to/from your PC, I can certainly fill you in on the command-line method too, but for most people phpmyadmin is easier.

Okay, cool thanks. I don't know for sure, but I imagine they use MySQL (which is what I used on past sites). I've used phpmyadmin on my own site, so I am familiar with it. I have had my bad experience with 1and1 as well, so I'm definitely looking in to alternatives. <_<

Like I said, I know very little of the details at this point. Hopefully the current server owner won't be a complete clot and refuse to work with me to migrate the data. That would make things difficult.

Okay, cool thanks. I don't know for sure, but I imagine they use MySQL (which is what I used on past sites). I've used phpmyadmin on my own site, so I am familiar with it. I have had my bad experience with 1and1 as well, so I'm definitely looking in to alternatives. <_<
I just got a hell of a deal from http://lunarpages.com... Not to derail the thread or anything, oh no...

Congrats, darkshark, you're going to be one of the few who know what hosting provider I work for.

You have a PM. :p

I don't know what pricepoint you're looking at, but if $20/m seems reasonable, and you would like full control of your system, try a Linode Xen virtual machine. You get full root access.

If you don't want to deal with configuring apache, mysql, etc. or $20/m is too much, I highly recommend NearlyFreeSpeech.NET. You only pay for what you use, so if you have 100Mb of files and transfer 1Gb, you only pay $2.