Minecraft

I fail to see how it's possible for Minecraft to cause a hard drive failure. Much more likely to be due to crappy hardware. :p

Regardless I thought we got carried away... NOT A SPOILER.

I fail to see how it's possible for Minecraft to cause a hard drive failure. Much more likely to be due to crappy hardware. :p

Well, chunk updates do cause a lot of HD access, so I guess it's possible that it would have either found a bad sector on an HD or hit the write limit on an SSD (especially if he's using pre-Lion on his mac and thus is without TRIM).

So, I'm back in the game after a long time away! Any updates or changes or new towns built? What's with all this "Creative" admin thing I'm reading about?

And the original place is now the 'old world'? Where's the New World? :cry:

Last edited:
So, I'm back in the game after a long time away! Any updates or changes or new towns built? What's with all this "Creative" admin thing I'm reading about?

And the original place is now the 'old world'? Where's the New World? :cry:
We moved to a new world for various reasons, but kept the original one around for people to wander around in if they wanted. There are now three linked worlds, the Creative world (which anyone can enter, but only people registered as "builders" can modify), the new Adventure world "New World", and the original world "Old World". There is a portal in the main FG hotel in the old world to the new world, if you somehow ended up in the old world, and there's an acropolis in the new/creative worlds with portals.

All three have maps at http://minecraft.packetcollision.com/

So, um, what's the wrap to the FG hotel again? And could I please have build permission? I can't open any doors without it!

So, um, what's the wrap to the FG hotel again? And could I please have build permission? I can't open any doors without it!

/warp begin

and added you to builders-list to the creative-server.
Where are you trying to open the doors?

/warp begin

Hmm, maybe opening doors counts as modifying the world? That doesn't seem right. If others can confirm such silly behavior on the old world, I'll poke at it.

In other news, should I make the old world run in creative mode so people can fly (still no editing)?

/warp begin

I was trying to open doors everywhere but it wouldn't let me. I think it's because you attack doors to open them, so it counts as a building mavouver. But, thanks, anyway :)

You can also right click (use) doors to open them. Does that make any difference?

That looks like a very nice and spacious house. I'm usually never at my house or I use it for storage purposes so all of my houses on servers are pretty small. I once built a pretty righteous one in Single Player, but it "burnt down".

Also, hopefully after essay season is over and for winter break I will be able to play on the server more. It's just been a bad time since all of my awesome instructors love to have plenty of assignments due the two weeks before Thanksgiving break. :|

Minecraft 1.0 is available now! No more betas, betas of betas, prereleases or anything!

Minecraft 1.0 is available now! No more betas, betas of betas, prereleases or anything!

Also don't update to 1.0 unless you don't want to play on the server!

But... We're using Sprout, which is completely separate from the main launcher.

But... We're using Sprout, which is completely separate from the main launcher.

i was just trying to wait if the sprout-server would like the 1.0 :p

The spout (no "r") launcher should automatically stay on beta 1.8 for you. As soon as Bukkit and spout are working on the final version (is the number really 1.0? That's confusing), I'll update the server, maybe shrinking the world a bit and regenerating the edges so we get some snow biomes.

Why is it confusing?

That whole shitstorm between notch and yogscast... wtf happened and why did notch post about it on twitter a day after minecon? I know he's not a PR guy, but they have one BIG community of paying children customers.

Popcorn at the ready.

Last edited:
Why is it confusing?

That whole shitstorm between notch and yogscast... wtf happened and why did notch post about it on twitter a day after minecon? I know he's not a PR guy, but they have one BIG community of paying children customers.

Popcorn at the ready.

It's confusing because version numbers usually go up, not down, and I thought they said the initial release would be 2.0.

And oh dear, I seem to have missed another bout of internet drama. How will I ever survive?

Thought dropping the "beta" and starting with a real 1.0 makes sense, but I can see your point.