Minecraft

Max world height in beta is 62 blocks above sea level.

or you could dig down to bedrock and start the building there. :D

or you could dig down to bedrock and start the building there. :D

I like the scrap and choose something shorter option better... well that or the "leave the half-completed skeleton of a skyscraper for that apocolypse feeling" option.

hahaha burning ship. I can just imagine the builders going for lunch break and then coming back to see the ship burning. "WTF?"

That's exactly what happened... I focused on building a plaza and when I came back I found this... I should have killed the process but it saves so often it was hopeless

THE SERVER IS UP

I hope no data was lost. I'd hate to have to rebuild my house again.

no data was lost, to my knowledge.

The server likes to eat memory and stop working for no reason. Usually fixed by rebooting, and it never seems to lose data...

yeah, our server has now 380Mb of ram ;) it has 256 wicht isn't enought for 5 players.
i talked with the server owner and his testing if he can give 786 from another rig.

So I got hopelessly lost. And died. Three times. Can I set up a server to use this map? and what kind of hardware is really needed to allow for just a few people to play on it?

yes, copy your world files to the sam dir as your minecraft serve, then run server, stop it and edit the server.config file to look your world instead of "world".

Not sure if you can import your map into the server (probably can just copy the files over) but I've been running a server for 3-4 people with mostly success on my desktop. 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo E7300, 4 GB RAM.

if you don't play with it at the same time, your server could run 80 people max ;)

server seems to be offline, or just broken, or run out of allocated memory.
eighter way i'm trying to contact the server's owner to restart the server etc

edit. ps. allocated more memoryto the files, all i now have to do is wake up the dude who runs the server :p

so online :p

Last edited:
Just bought the BETA yesterday, been playing it a few hours :) It's definitely addicting, died once already, took me a while to find my shelter again :p As of right now I'm basically just living in a mountain, while sort of building an ugly-ass stone house out front :p

Any good musthave mods?

the server hoster testing bigger ram on another rig...
more info if the server is moved comes here.
BE prepared

Just bought the BETA yesterday, been playing it a few hours :) It's definitely addicting, died once already, took me a while to find my shelter again :p As of right now I'm basically just living in a mountain, while sort of building an ugly-ass stone house out front :p

Any good musthave mods?

There are a couple:
- The Wildgrass mod looks good (though I haven't been able to get it to work without it freezing the game, but that was before the new version with its automatic patching system)
- SimpleMap+ : This mod converts the lighting system of the game into a more modern one, changes the way the grass grows to give it more variety, and adds a minimap to the hud.
- GLSL Shaders: makes depth of field and other effects work (I haven't tried it yet, but it's marked as compatible)
- And for texture mods, I like Bordercraft (makes the game look like borderlands sorta) or the Realistic texture overhaul (I mostly use this one).

Thanks for the suggestions, will look into them :)

Unfortunately, Minecraft performs pretty terribly under Mac OSX. It's doesn't feel great having a game that's basically made up of huge pixels run this poorly on your new laptop :p

It has already crashed on me twice.

Thanks for the suggestions, will look into them :)

Unfortunately, Minecraft performs pretty terribly under Mac OSX. It's doesn't feel great having a game that's basically made up of huge pixels run this poorly on your new laptop :p

It has already crashed on me twice.

The latest iteration seems really buggy on both the client and server, I'm really surprised there haven't been updates.

How exactly does the door to the hotel work?

How exactly does the door to the hotel work?

There's a pressure plate on the inside which will switch the doors state to open for as long as it's pressed. So if you're standing just inside the door the state will switch while you're standing on the plate. After you get off the plate the door will close. (at least that's how I assume it works)

Last edited:
There's a pressure plate on the inside which will switch the doors state to open for as long as it's pressed. So if you're standing just inside the door the state will switch while you're standing on the plate. After you get off the plate the door will close. (at least that's how I assume it works)

How do you get in when no one else is around then?