Mini challenges Porsche to race at Road Atlanta

And the Fiero, and possibly the Saturn. I'm just thinking that severe rust problems were something that defined the '80s, along with bad hair and crappy film stock.

Yeah, Saturns only started using metal bodywork a few years ago, so (visible) rust and Saturns never mixed.

No, even if they choose a super tight autocross course, as long as the Porsche can fit (as Spectre mentions) it can win. Just make sure the driver knows how to autocross the Porsche.
I've watched it happen, time after time after time. One of the local autocrossers campaigns a 996 GT3 nationally. Another campaigned a Mini Cooper S nationally for a couple of years. It's not that exciting - the Mini doesn't stand a chance.

:bow:

This pleases me.

http://www.facebook.com/MINIUSA

That's the only place I can find the video at the moment, under the "Mini vs Porsche" tab. They're trying to take advantage of the price difference by saving "That's $38,000 per second", but let's be honest, 2 seconds is a lot in the racing world, especially on a tight track during a short race.

Also, for that $76k, you get a car that's $76k better. Not even close. All the comments are priceless.

Yeah, and I have a feeling the Porsche could have done a good bit better than that.

...and Mini didn't use the John Cooper Works why...?

They might not have won, but it sure as hell would have given them a better chance.

...and Mini didn't use the John Cooper Works why...?

They might not have won, but it sure as hell would have given them a better chance.

No, it wouldn't. Compressor surge and turbo lag (no matter how minute) is a bitch on short, tight courses. A number of first-revision Neon SRT-4 drivers discovered that much to their dismay, normally aspirated Neon ACRs were actually faster around tight courses - like this ringer that Mini tried to run.

BMW's little proxy attack on Porsche seems to have been an utter failure.

Last edited:
Take a look at the comments on that Facebook page, they pleased the people they were aiming to please.

Now what about MINI vs Hyundai? I wouldn't be surprised if MINI got their ass handed to them with Hyundai as well.

Now what about MINI vs Hyundai? I wouldn't be surprised if MINI got their ass handed to them with Hyundai as well.
Now that is a lot more interesting. Which Genesis are we hoping Hyundai would choose, and for what style of course?

The Hyundai is heavy, and isn't powerful. The lightest ones are around 3200 pounds (sorry, I'm a stupid American). The Minis are closer to 2500 pounds (ignoring the convertibles). The Minis are much, much better at transitions. The 2.0L Genesis isn't powerful, and the 3.8L versions are generally heavier than the relatively stripped, 2.0L only R-spec. IMO, this competition would be highly course dependent. On the course used with the Porsche, the Genesis would have a difficult time keeping up with the Mini. I won't pick a sure winner, like I would with the 911, but if you made me bet on it, my money would be on the Mini. On the other hand, if they ran the full course at Road Atlanta, I'd bet on the Genesis.

Now, if you throw Mini's money argument back in... Which is cheaper to buy (new, since the Genesis Coupe is new and there aren't many used yet)? Which is cheaper to maintain? Which has more accessible dealerships for warranty repairs?

The Mini's a bit more fun on the street, and looking at a Mini, just sitting there, makes me smile in a way looking at a Genesis doesn't.

Now that is a lot more interesting. Which Genesis are we hoping Hyundai would choose, and for what style of course?

The Hyundai is heavy, and isn't powerful. The lightest ones are around 3200 pounds (sorry, I'm a stupid American). The Minis are closer to 2500 pounds (ignoring the convertibles). The Minis are much, much better at transitions. The 2.0L Genesis isn't powerful, and the 3.8L versions are generally heavier than the relatively stripped, 2.0L only R-spec. IMO, this competition would be highly course dependent. On the course used with the Porsche, the Genesis would have a difficult time keeping up with the Mini. I won't pick a sure winner, like I would with the 911, but if you made me bet on it, my money would be on the Mini. On the other hand, if they ran the full course at Road Atlanta, I'd bet on the Genesis.

Now, if you throw Mini's money argument back in... Which is cheaper to buy (new, since the Genesis Coupe is new and there aren't many used yet)? Which is cheaper to maintain? Which has more accessible dealerships for warranty repairs?

The Mini's a bit more fun on the street, and looking at a Mini, just sitting there, makes me smile in a way looking at a Genesis doesn't.

Which one is RWD? There solved that problem :p

Personally, I think they should bring out the Hyundai PM580 and grind Mini into dust with it.

rhys_millen_racing_pm580_hyundai_genesis_pikes_peak_racecar_1_cd_gallery.jpg

Hey, Mini, where is your God now? You know BMW will never let you make something that awesome. Go back into your little boutique econobox niche and stop annoying the real car companies.

Last edited: