Mini or Civic Si?

Mini or Civic Si?

• Total voters

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
DÖNER
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
BMW has (finally!) started selling the MINI here, and therefore I discussed this with my friends: since both are similar in price, which would you choose?

Please don?t give me the "neither, I would buy a _____ instead". You must choose between those two!
The Civic Si available here might be a little different than the others around the world, so here is a picture of it:
civic_02.jpg

The Si has better performance, but I believe the Mini has a better handling, so I really can?t choose. Has any of you owned or drove one of those two? Please tell me what you think. :)

Last edited:
Civic Si for me. If it was the Mini Cooper Type S, it would be different. The Civic Si is plenty good handling imo

And with the Civic, a simple Hondata reflash can apparently get it to around 250 hp

Last edited:
Although the Mini is a fine vehicle I could never respect the fact that it's three times the size of the original and no more practical or spacious on the inside. Also, I think it's a bit overpriced.

So I'd go for the Civic. The fact that it has a boot and two more doors than the Mini is a nice bonus, too.

Uhhh MINI

I owned a 2004 MINI Cooper S and it was a truly awesome car. I never had any problems with it and the person I sold it to has never had any problems either. The second Gen MINI is great even in regular form. That new engine is fine for it without the Turbo but the old engine really needed the Supercharger.

If I was going to get another one I might not even bother with the S but just get a regular MINI Cooper or maybe a Clubman if they offer it with a monotone rear end.

If you the Cooper S isn't too much more then the regular MINI in your country then I would go for the S but if it is more then a couple of thousand then the regular MINI is fine.

Tough choice. I like Civic Si's and think they're probably the best new car you can buy, since they hold their value so well. But the Mini Cooper holds it's value even better, to the point where used models are almost as expensive as new models. I think I would choose the Mini Cooper in this case, since it's such a unique car with a long history. If you're young and don't need a practical car, it would be the best time to buy such a car. You can buy the Civic Si when you have a wife and kiddies to haul around.

It depends on what you need from the car. The Mini is a brilliant machine to drive, and reeks of charm & character, however the Civic has a ton more space, and a boot, which the Mini pretty much lacks.

If you need some practicality, the Civic is the better choice. For all other reasons, the Mini. Easily.

MINI, not even a contest.

Even though I have stated that I hate the interior elsewhere, I'd go for the Mini.

I recently test drove some Cooper/Cooper S cars during my own car search, and I really thought they were great. I would have bought one had the MINIs in my price range not been in such poor condition. I've never driven a Civic or Civic Si, but I don't think I'd like to. They are not appealing in any way IMO. :yucky: Yeah, it may be a bit more practical, but it is not even close to being as cool or as nice as the MINI.

If you the Cooper S isn't too much more then the regular MINI in your country then I would go for the S but if it is more then a couple of thousand then the regular MINI is fine.

In local currency, it goes like this

Civic Si: R$99.500
MINI Cooper: R$93.900
Mini Cooper S R$120.900

So, yes, the S version is 30% more expensive. :|

Tough choice. I like Civic Si's and think they're probably the best new car you can buy, since they hold their value so well. But the Mini Cooper holds it's value even better, to the point where used models are almost as expensive as new models. I think I would choose the Mini Cooper in this case, since it's such a unique car with a long history. If you're young and don't need a practical car, it would be the best time to buy such a car. You can buy the Civic Si when you have a wife and kiddies to haul around.

Well, at the moment I do have a wife and kiddie to haul around, so I would need to choose the Si :lol:
My doubt is was more in the way of "does the MINI makes up for the 75bhp disavantage and lack of space in driving pleasure or not?"
The hard facts are:
Civic Si: 0-62 in 7.5s
MINI: 0-62 in 9.1s

But what about driving pleasure? Handling? That?s what I want to know!:)

Well, at the moment I do have a wife and kiddie to haul around, so I would need to choose the Si :lol:

:D Does the wifey have a more practical car? If not, the normal Mini may not cut it. But in terms of handling and fun factor, the Mini beats the Si every time, even if it's acceleration is not quite as good. But if you need the extra space of the Si, I don't think you'll be disappointed with it as a sporty fun car.

The test drive should determine what car you get. The standard Mini should be fine, but that backseat will become useless as your child grows. And honestly, if you don't use the backseat often- ditch it and save some weight while gaining space. The Honda is obviously nice too. Simple breakdown: Honda-sensible, practical, excellent chassis, but not very torquey. MINI- fun, cool (assuming there aren't estate agents where you live), sporty and different.

Definitely the Si, my friend has a coupe and it has the best gearbox and a wonderful high revving engine. Its a very fun driver's car.

The test drive should determine what car you get. The standard Mini should be fine, but that backseat will become useless as your child grows. And honestly, if you don't use the backseat often- ditch it and save some weight while gaining space. The Honda is obviously nice too. Simple breakdown: Honda-sensible, practical, excellent chassis, but not very torquey. MINI- fun, cool (assuming there aren't estate agents where you live), sporty and different.

That comparison in purely theoretical, I don?t have the money for either and I wouldn?t have the MINI as the only family car. For that multipurpose task, I believe the SI would be much more appropriate, no doubt about it.

To solve the lack of power issue, just send the ecu to hondata or some other third party. that engine does have some potential