Mini or Civic Si?

Mini or Civic Si?

• Total voters
I voted the Civic Si.

I borrowed a friend's Civic Si while my RX8 was getting a new engine installed. And of course, I was comparing the Si to the RX8 as I see the Civic Si as a competitor (Performance and Price wise) I thought that the Civic Si was just as fun as my RX8 when throwing it around on back country roads. The power was just as good as my RX8 (Although I know the Si was slower, it felt the same because of the the high RPM redline) I would not hesitate to trade my RX8 in for a Civic Si based on fun factor.

I have driven a Mini Cooper S, but not for as long as the Civic Si. I borrowed another friend's Cooper S while my RX8's clutch was being replaced. I had it for only 2 days and drove it mainly in downtown San ANtonio. While the car was easy to maneuver around in the small streets down town, and a lot easier to find parking spaces, the power the car had was just not enough for Texas IMO. There are many 30mph roads that turn directly onto 60mph highways and I had a hard time trying to merge with traffic that was speeding up my ass at 70mph+ from 30mph. There were also 2 way stop roads that would intersect with roads that had 50mph speed limits. Going from a stop and turning onto a road where cars are going 60mph with a gap of maby 20 car lengths was very difficult with the Mini.

If I were living in a less populated area, I think my vote may go towards the Mini. I think both cars look great and both handling extremely well, as good as my RX8, and both cars were comfortable to sit in for long periods of time. But, the Civic Si is quicker than the Mini Cooper Sm and more power always wins in my book ;)

Also, the Civic is cheaper to buy and cheaper to insure (In my area of location that is, may be different for you)

Euro or US Civic? MINI One, Cooper or Cooper S?

Important details, if its the Cooper or Cooper S I'd say MINI though, if its the Euro Civic va Mini One then I'd say Euro Civic.

I'm assuming it's not a Cooper S, otherwise we'd surely be comparing it to a CT-R? Civic for me, I think Minis are hugely over-rated as far as handling is concerned.

I drove a MINI Cooper S (first gen) once and enjoyed every minute of it. I've even sat in the back and didn't think it was as bad as some make it out to be.

i say both...

MiniK1.jpg

but seriously i would get the Mini

Civic. Much more practical.

Regular Mini Cooper versus the Civic Si, I would choose the Civic. If the mini would be the Cooper S-version, then I'd go for the mini, no doubt about it.

Mini. So much cooler and special, and I'm very impractical! Just make sure you get a manual Mini and just make it work harder! Trust me, extra power means nothing over handling.

If I had the choice, I would get a Clubman S. I think it looks pretty cool, and it gives you a bit more practicality. Given the choice I would not get the standard Mini over the Clubman, but I would have either over the Civic.

Mini. So much cooler and special, and I'm very impractical! Just make sure you get a manual Mini and just make it work harder! Trust me, extra power means nothing over handling.

As well as the Mini handles, you, apparently, haven't driven a Civic Si. Those things friggin move.

What exactly makes an Si? it's just no Euro Civic has that model designation so I'm not familiar with it.

A baby Type-R?

edit: About the same power, small difference in weight - in that case I'd have to change my mind, if its not a Cooper S you're considering then go for the Civic. The new Type-R didnt get the best reception but is still a very good car and a lot of fun but I've only had a short drive, I presume since its still a Civic it'll be just fine for everyday use though.

What exactly makes an Si? it's just no Euro Civic has that model designation so I'm not familiar with it.

A baby Type-R?

edit: About the same power, small difference in weight - in that case I'd have to change my mind, if its not a Cooper S you're considering then go for the Civic. The new Type-R didnt get the best reception but is still a very good car and a lot of fun but I've only had a short drive, I presume since its still a Civic it'll be just fine for everyday use though.

There are some minor differences between the Euro R and US Si.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=38955321

For some reason Honda has only used the "Type R" designation for one car sold in the US, and that was the DC2 ITR. So all of our "hot Honda's" have the SI badge on them. Which originally, and I guess still, stands for "sport injected," a reference to the fact that it has fuel injection (I should damn well hope!) I kind of wish we got "Type R" models here though, it just sounds cooler. So here is the Si:

2006_Civic_Si_01.jpg

Compared to the European Type R.

2007-honda-civic-type-r.jpg

Honda's are starting to get away from the fun-to-drive feel that they effectively patented in the 80's and 90's, and getting more and more Toyota like each year. If it was my money, I would skip them both and get a Mazdaspeed 3, which is by far the best hatchback money can buy:
mazdaspeed3%20-%20night.jpg

(Don't say anything about the Cobalt SS or Caliber SRT4 because they are both utter shit in everything subjective)

Last edited:
Of course a Mini Cooper S would be much closer in performance, but as I wrote before, it is much more expensive than the regular Mini, which has practically the same price tag as the Civic Si.

I wish I could test drive both of them... :mrgreen:

I would pick the Civic over the Mini any day, mainly because I can't really live with a car without a useful backseat or an ugly giant speedometer.

Have owned an Acura RSX type S (sorta a fancy Si) and driven my Stepfather's Mini many times. I would have to say it is a toss up.

Both are perfect for what they are. The Si is rev Happy, with lots of cargo space. The Mini zips like few others can.

The one thing though, the Honda has one of the best transmissions I have ever had the pleasure of using. The Minis trans was just ok.

Civic Si, but I'm partial. Especially in Rallye Red.

I didn't compare it against the Mini Cooper when I was shopping around, but I will say that at the two track days I went to, I was passing Minis like it was my job.

The only thing I'll say about the Si is you really have to get it to 6K rpms before it wakes up. Below 3K, it's a normal car; 3-6K and it's a fun car; above 6K and it becomes an animal. A reflash will bring Vtec down to ~5K and redline up to 8500 and give you a few more ponies, but If you like to tinker then I would instead opt for the full tuning solution from Hondata so you can modify it exactly the way you want. And that page that was linked above w/ 220HP - that car had an intake and a header.

http://img19.imageshack.**/img19/2431/20090530pocde16279.jpg

http://img268.imageshack.**/img268/5807/20090530pocde16523.jpg

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5ca1CnjEkE[/YOUTUBE]
^stock Civic SI

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVHbq-pziLc[/YOUTUBE]
^Stock Cooper

I personally like the Civic more.

Handling wise: A civic si coupe was able to keep up with thedguy's miata. barely though.