Mini Roadtrip 2016 - Il Lavoro Italiano, Aug 7-11

I'll ask DaBoom about supermarkets near our basecamp. Last I spoke to him he said the town we're in is barren, but the first one due east should have everything we need.

I'll ask DaBoom about supermarkets near our basecamp. Last I spoke to him he said the town we're in is barren, but the first one due east should have everything we need.

:nod: I think I spotted a small supermarket 1-2km east.

It doesn't need to be a massive place. The shop where I bought food when we were staying at the top of the Col du Crois Fer three years ago was barely bigger than the Ringmeet party tent but I managed to get enough different foodstuffs to satisfy a dozen or so hungry roadtrippers.

As long as we have a BBQ of some kind (anyone care to post recommendations? The one Dan saw in Halfords gets terrible reviews!), basic BBQ tools, a decent sharp knife (I can bring one) and a chopping board plus a plastic crate for carrying the "kitchen" (again I can get something) then we're sorted. I will grab a few bits after work today and advise later what I have procured.

Yeah, Italian idea of a supermarket differs quite a lot from mine. :p There isn't all that much available at the Corvara "super" market, but at least it has has plenty of fresh meat and cheeeeeese. Canazei is the closest spot with some bigger shops for added shopping options, if needed.

It doesn't need to be a massive place. The shop where I bought food when we were staying at the top of the Col du Crois Fer three years ago was barely bigger than the Ringmeet party tent but I managed to get enough different foodstuffs to satisfy a dozen or so hungry roadtrippers.

As long as we have a BBQ of some kind (anyone care to post recommendations? The one Dan saw in Halfords gets terrible reviews!), basic BBQ tools, a decent sharp knife (I can bring one) and a chopping board plus a plastic crate for carrying the "kitchen" (again I can get something) then we're sorted. I will grab a few bits after work today and advise later what I have procured.

I have a Son of Hibachi at home. However, I am quite fighting for space in my car.....

Speaking of BBQ, I have procured 5 jars of some proper Ajvar. 3 normal, 2 spicy. We probably won't even go through a single one during the trip and if there's any left after ringmeet's big BBQ, people are free to them.

And I'll TRY not to break any on the way.

Reactions: MWF
Agreed. We all bring a plastic crockery/cutlery set, Dan gets the folding BBQ and we chip in towards his food to cover the cost?

Mini Roadtrip 2016 - The Return of the Magical Cat

And D-Fence we just buy fresh ingredients daily towards the end of each day's drive. Worked fine in the past.

Here's a link to the folding BBQ for info and in case anyone else wants to purchase one: http://www.halfords.com/camping-leisure/camping/camping-cooking-equipment/halfords-folding-bbq

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. We all bring a plastic crockery/cutlery set, Dan gets the folding BBQ and we chip in towards his food to cover the cost?

Mini Roadtrip 2016 - The Return of the Magical Cat

And D-Fence we just buy fresh ingredients daily towards the end of each day's drive. Worked fine in the past.

Here's a link to the folding BBQ for info and in case anyone else wants to purchase one: http://www.halfords.com/camping-leisure/camping/camping-cooking-equipment/halfords-folding-bbq

I can't recommend this BBQ by the way, as I don't actually have one. I see also now that Matt has pointed out that it gets terrible reviews.

Speaking of BBQ, I have procured 5 jars of some proper Ajvar. 3 normal, 2 spicy. We probably won't even go through a single one during the trip and if there's any left after ringmeet's big BBQ, people are free to them.

And I'll TRY not to break any on the way.

Aw yiss! Then it's BBQ all the way! :dance:

Has anyone actually contacted either of the proposed campsites yet? We are three weeks away and don't want to get suck with nowhere to stay!

I'd add 2 cars if possible?
Sorry for late participation plans, but I just can't do this faster due to work.
Is it still possible?

Don't see any reason why not. Welcome.

Okie, so if I understand all this correctly, we are staying at COLFOSCO camping site. Options are tenting, wodden huts, bungalows, and even some hotels nearby as I can find on the web, but hotels are quite expensive now since it is a high season.
Monday and Tuesday we have big loops, then Wednesday and Thursday driving towards the ringmeet place.

Was there any idea not to return to the same camp everyday but just do the route and sleeep over in different place everyday? It might be easier to navigate arround.

Oh, the cars this year Will be underpowered and undesdisplaced. Both under 1.2 liter :-D, just becasue.

Last edited:
Since nobody else seems to be stepping up I plan to book the campsites tomorrow evening.

Either confirm your your attendance here or PM me please. If you don't by 7pm UK time tomorrow and you end up sleeping in your car at the side of the road then you only have yourself to blame.

I was going to call them today, but I only got home after 10pm. I will be attending.