Mini Roadtrip 2016 - Il Lavoro Italiano, Aug 7-11

Would mean a second campsite rather than being based in just one place for four nights, wouldn't it?

Well, dividing the drive from Dolomites to the ringmeet campsite to two days is sensible anyway. Might as well plot that with Stelvio in mind.

edit: I know a nice campsite in Prutz, north of Stelvio as well.. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Works for me.

Err, no? :p Why do you think I suggested something north of the pass.

Day 1 and Day 2, for example. Two long, but doable days with plenty of fun on the first day. We drove almost the exact route of day 2 after this years Alpine meet, forgetting that detour from Imst, which got us stuck in a traffic jam for a good while.

In its own place, where Google maps refuses to go. :D

Edit: I did actually forget about the Davos part. One could shorten the trip like this, or just do the Davos stab added to the first suggestion. :) The Stelvio natural park pass is worth a visit though, IMO. One of more mad passes I've done. Also, something where you haven't been before.

Last edited:
It is indeed. I've driven it twice, but couldn't be arsed to google it since I didn't remember the name straight away. :D

There's room for a car, what's the problem? :p An e39 touring fit just fiiiine..
IMG_0130.JPG

Also, right at the bottom of Passo Gardena, one of my all time favorite roads, so evening runs on empty passes..! :burnrubber:

It's just gotten a dreamy new surface from the east to just after the pass :nod: only a few places are still old on that side.

Going to be doing this trip with my buddy Dan in his pimped out work van - he recently registered as Flat Pack Dan and the Caddy just got a really cool wrap to tie in with his brand image. He should be creating a thread in Post Your Car very soon. I drove it today and it's a fun thing to hook around.

Took a look at our route down to Italy and with a tweak we will stay on the Saturday evening in Scherwiller where those from the 2013 Roadtrip who remained by then will remember the really nice restaurant with the incredible steampunk Captain Nemo toilets before driving through Switzerland and Austria on the Sunday to the campsite.

I know we probably need a vignette for Austria but do we need anything for Switzerland? Also lip we could probably get to you in time to buddy up and head on in convoy - PM me your rough home location please and I will check the route and see if it works.

Reactions: lip
That pass left the biggest impression on us when we did our Alps trip, you can see a part in my sig actually. A bit narrow at times, great by bike, but a bunch of cars? :D

Second that... Ran into a pack of four cars up there Friday, that's already beyond what the pass can take in terms of group size.

MWF:

1. I live close to St. Gallen right at the border of Lake Constance, but I will be in Lugano on holidays the week before the roadtrip. I will drive off from there heading towards the Lago di Garda and then upwards to the Dolomites.

2. You need a Vignette for the Swiss Autobahns. (SFR 40, fine for not having one: SFR 200)

3. Any decision for the main camping site? (Personally I would prefer a Hotel, ;) )

4. Will it be the first time for that van to meet any steep mountain roads? :lol: - Looking forward to the PYC thread. And the roadtrip. :)

If the Swiss and Austrian parts are only on the two days towards the ring, you won't need a Swiss vignette, and can skirt the short section of Austrian toll roads... Or get 10day ones for about 8?. Nauders - Prutz - F?ssen has very little toll roads, so I'd just go around them. Livigno - Nauders only has the toll tunnel... Consider Forcola and Bernina if you have the time.

Last edited:
And just for clarification, tunnel tolls always cost, whether you have a vignette or not.

MWF:

1. I live close to St. Gallen right at the border of Lake Constance, but I will be in Lugano on holidays the week before the roadtrip. I will drive off from there heading towards the Lago di Garda and then upwards to the Dolomites.

2. You need a Vignette for the Swiss Autobahns. (SFR 40, fine for not having one: SFR 200)

3. Any decision for the main camping site? (Personally I would prefer a Hotel, ;) )

4. Will it be the first time for that van to meet any steep mountain roads? :lol: - Looking forward to the PYC thread. And the roadtrip. :)

If the Swiss and Austrian parts are only on the two days towards the ring, you won't need a Swiss vignette, and can skirt the short section of Austrian toll roads... Or get 10day ones for about 8?. Nauders - Prutz - F?ssen has very little toll roads, so I'd just go around them. Livigno - Nauders only has the toll tunnel... Consider Forcola and Bernina if you have the time.

Wasn't planning to do any autobahns. Saturday is cannonball from Calais to Scherwiller, pitch camp, eat, bed not too late. Sunday up and on the road at a sensible hour so we can make the drive from there more a little more scenic without using motorway.