Minor Modifications

laxmax613

Car(s)
Merkavim Mars
Imagine you were working in project management for the auto maker of your choice. You are asked what should be done to a current product or platform of your choice to make it the best it could be using the available corporate parts bin. What would you put together? Why would this combination of parts make a better car than the rest of their lineups?

Here's an example:

For should be building a mid spec mustang with the 4.0 I6 that lives in the AUDM Falcon. That would be an exciting car.

I wish it was easier to custom spec a car from the complete list of options.

Bring back the Mustang LX V8 idea. Same powertrain as a Mustang GT, but stripped down to 'fleet vehicle' or 'work truck' like standards.

Bring back the Mustang LX V8 idea. Same powertrain as a Mustang GT, but stripped down to 'fleet vehicle' or 'work truck' like standards.

How is the base GT not that?

How is the base GT not that?

The base GT still has ICE, air conditioning, heavy leather wraps in many places, autodimming mirror, heavy power seats, power windows and other creature comforts all standard.

The point of an LX V8 (or at least the one I'd be referencing here) was to buy it and put it directly to use on a track, with a minimum of stuff that had to be stripped out. Or, with a couple of uprates, use it in police interceptor service as the Mustang SSP.

f4a09a07c42889d9c1f9808640d6b66e.jpg

The base GT still has ICE, air conditioning, heavy leather wraps in many places, autodimming mirror, heavy power seats, power windows and other creature comforts all standard.

The point of an LX V8 (or at least the one I'd be referencing here) was to buy it and put it directly to use on a track, with a minimum of stuff that had to be stripped out. Or, with a couple of uprates, use it in police interceptor service as the Mustang SSP.

f4a09a07c42889d9c1f9808640d6b66e.jpg

Manual seats! You don't get power unless you get the Ecoboost/GT Premiums. If you want a complete stripper Mustang for the track, you need to get the GT350R. No radio, no AC, no back seat, etc.

But I see what you're saying now.

Manual seats! You don't get power unless you get the Ecoboost/GT Premiums. If you want a complete stripper Mustang for the track, you need to get the GT350R. No radio, no AC, no back seat, etc.

But I see what you're saying now.

You may want to check your own company's website. On the site, the lowest spec 2016 V8 is the GT Fastback (is there a Notchback coming?). Go there and look at the base interior features.

A base GT350R is $61,295, which is far too expensive for the purposes the buyer of the LX would have in mind. They're going to build up a monster motor (or maybe they already have one) and put it in the lightest, cheapest version of the Mustang they can get that will accept it. That was the thing about the Mustang LX back when it was offered - sometimes it had a terrible low output smog motor in it. Sometimes someone had dropped a 1200hp drag engine in it. You could never discount one at the Stop Light Grand Prix - or at the track.

Last edited:
You may want to check your own company's website. On the site, the lowest spec 2016 V8 is the GT Fastback (is there a Notchback coming?). Go there and look at the base interior features.

A base GT350R is $61,295, which is far too expensive for the purposes the buyer of the LX would have in mind. They're going to build up a monster motor (or maybe they already have one) and put it in the lightest version of the Mustang they can get that will accept it. That was the thing about the Mustang LX back when it was offered - sometimes it had a terrible low output smog motor in it. Sometimes someone had dropped a 1200hp drag engine in it. You could never discount one at the Stop Light Grand Prix - or at the track.

Ah. I misread the order guide thats floating around out there. I'm actually a bit surprised they do that.

Yeah, the bottom line on an 'LX' is 'why should the customer have to pay for a bunch of things they're just going to remove anyway?' As it is, these guys are grudgingly buying GTs, stripping the interiors and selling them on Craigslist (didn't anyone wonder where all these new or near new GT interior kits on CL that don't smell like detonated airbag are coming from?)

Last edited:
Take a Chevy SS, but offer it in wagon form (available in Australia), here in Canada (complete with the LS3 and the 6 speed manual transmission).

And call it something else, like Impala.

Take a Chevy SS, but offer it in wagon form (available in Australia), here in Canada (complete with the LS3 and the 6 speed manual transmission).

Just bring over the whole HSV lineup to the US.

Which nobody would buy, I think.

I'd buy a Maloo R8... in a few years... off the used market.... which there wouldn't be since no one bought one new :(

strip 10K of the 235i!

that would help :D

I know, this is a product that practically no one will buy..but just humor me.

Transit Connect Wagon ST - 2.0T, 6-speed MT, sport tuned suspension (I'm ok if they can't make the IRS from the Focus ST work with the 3rd row/cargo area packaging...but if so..hell yes), sport front seats with optional Recaros out of the Focus ST, throater dual exhaust...

The 5 seat SWB can come with the 1.6 Ecoboost already...imagine that little guy with the mods above...mmmm.

I know, this is a product that practically no one will buy..but just humor me.

Transit Connect Wagon ST - 2.0T, 6-speed MT, sport tuned suspension (I'm ok if they can't make the IRS from the Focus ST work with the 3rd row/cargo area packaging...but if so..hell yes), sport front seats with optional Recaros out of the Focus ST, throater dual exhaust...

The 5 seat SWB can come with the 1.6 Ecoboost already...imagine that little guy with the mods above...mmmm.

Two people would buy it. One of them would be you, the other one would be someone who ordered one by mistake.

Four.

Two people would buy it. One of them would be you, the other one would be someone who ordered one by mistake.

See, four people would buy it! Surely they can make that sort of take rate pencil! :p