Minor Scratches in Windshield

leadfoot13

Car(s)
2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T
Does anyone know of the best method to get rid of shallow scratches in a windshield (I can't feel them when I run my finger over them). I am guessing there was some contaminant in the towel I was using to get all of the bugs off the windshield and it left scratches all over the windshield. They are very light, I can only see them when I am driving into the sun or at night. I have heard of using toothpaste, Brasso, and cerium oxide. I just wanted some first hand experience from you guys.

Seconded. I got the same problem and its EXTREMELY annoying in sun light.

This will sound odd... but try Rain-X. It's essentially a very light wax that you put on and buff out. It might just b e enough if you do multiple applications. You could try a regular wax... but as I haven't done that, I can't speak to the safety on glass.

Steve

just get a glass/platic polish

im sure theres one from turtlewax called nano something..... basically just like any form of polishing, its full of little particles and you just polish the spider-webbing out, like you would on your car.

probably need one of those buffer things as i imagine getting a good finish on glass will be harder than doing it on your paint work.

probably need one of those buffer things as i imagine getting a good finish on glass will be harder than doing it on your paint work.

Yeah, a buffer or polisher will be the smart way to do it. You won't get as good results by hand as you will by machine on glass.

I tried both rain-x and polishing compound by hand without much result, which I was kinda surprised at. I will have to wait until next week to try using an random orbital buffer.

toothpaste is a bit wierd, but then it occured to me its just like polishing compound....its just a paste with loads of tiny abrasives in it to get the crap off your teeth.

I heard of wet sanding windshields to get rid of those but its sounds scary to me :)

I heard of wet sanding windshields to get rid of those but its sounds scary to me
I just wet sanded my headlights and it worked surprisingly well. I am going to stay away from sandpaper and glass. I drove last night and it helped some in the spots I worked on, but it would take way to much elbow grease to do the entire windshield by hand.

yeah you need a 3000 odd grit polish and a buffing wheel. A random orbiter is best but not necessary. I have done it a few times with used cars at work. Some mobile glass repair guys do windshield polishing too bit forcreally fine scratches you can do it yourself. Toothpaste works great on headlights just don't use the gel kind needs to be regular paste.

I used 3m Finesse It II and my Makita Buffer with a cutting pad and it removed them just fine. Mine were from years and years of crappy windshield wipers.