Missed out on a 1-series M? Here's your chance. 2016 BMW M2

JimCorrigan

Car(s)
HMCS Velvet Glove; The Last Samurai
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2016-bmw-m2-photos-and-info-news

1472238205231531412.jpg

Car and Driver said:
BMW has tried to keep us guessing about a possible M2, but we can't say we?re all that surprised by its debut: The fantastic success of the 1-series M Coupe made such a model an absolute no-brainer. With rear-wheel drive, 365 horsepower, and a standard manual transmission, the M2 represents the essence of what BMW stands for?at least in the eyes of enthusiasts.

Whereas the 1-series M Coupe was created as a low-budget skunkworks project, the M2 was included as part of the program right from the beginning of 2-series coupe development. The changes from the 10Best-winning M235i are extensive.

The turbocharged N55 inline-six engine has been extensively tweaked to produce 365 horsepower at 6500 rpm. Maximum baseline torque is 343 lb-ft, available from 1400 to 5560 rpm, while an overboost function serves up 369 lb-ft from 1450 to 4750 rpm. Fitted with a single turbocharger, the engine redlines at 7000 rpm. By comparison, the M235i cranks out a maximum of 320 horsepower and 330 lb-ft of torque. Besides the six-speed manual, there is an available seven-speed dual-clutch automatic?as opposed to the M235i, which offers an optional eight-speed torque-converter automatic. The cooling system is heavily modified to help the M2 deal with a track environment, and the dual-clutch gearbox gets its own oil cooler. The sprint from 0 to 60 mph is said to take 4.2 seconds with the automatic and 4.4 seconds with the manual; we achieved 0-to-60 times of 4.3 and 4.9 seconds from the automatic and manual M235i. Top speed is governed at 155 mph.

But the M2 is as much about cornering dynamics as it is about straight-line performance, and BMW has cut no corners with the M2. Under the taut sheetmetal of the 2-series, the company?s engineers have essentially packed the chassis of the M3. Compared to the M235i, the front track increases from 59.9 to 62.2 inches and the rear track from 61.3 to 63.0. With its larger fenders, the car itself is now 73 inches wide, up from 69.8 inches. Combined with a slightly lower height (55.5 instead of 55.8 inches), the M2 looks muscular and powerful.

The M2 is fitted with 245/35ZR-19 front and 265/35ZR-19 rear tires; an electronic rear differential (Active M Differential) will help you keep the car in an easily controllable drift. And the transmissions are programmed to play along: The manual includes a rev-matching function for downshifts, while the DCT transmission has what BMW actually calls a "smoky burnout function."

The aggressive styling of the M2 sharply differentiates it from the M235i; it features a unique front end, large air intakes, a rear spoiler, and four exhaust pipes that are as loud as they are impressive to look at.

Despite the extra content and power, the M2 is actually lighter than the M235i; at 3450 pounds, it sheds a claimed 55 pounds. Pricing hasn't been announced yet; we should know that number closer to when the M2 hits the market in spring 2016. In the meantime, we?ll just sit here, barely able to contain the anticipation of driving this ultimate expression of BMW?s iconic M division.

Last edited:
Niiiiiiice.

The way the fenders simply flare out, no fuss, reminds me of the original E30 M3. Which seems appropriate.

Only sad thing is the forced induction. But progress...

I'm not a fan of the front bumper, but other than that, it looks pretty good. And let's hope they'll improve the leather quality, too.

Mmm, this makes the M4 totally forgotten. Even properly kitted M235i is more fun than way too serious M4. It only needed a bit more power, clever diff (even though M235i optional LSD is already quite okay) and meaty wheel arches. And here they are!

happy-gof.gif

Not enough power... what's wrong with 420hp the M3/M4 come with?

Too big, too heavy, too much of a power-GT-cruiser-thingie? :dunno:
Keep it light and simple. RWD, manual transmission, done :)

What's the point? Unless you expect to drag race with it you are never going to use all that power and if you want to take it to some B/mountain roads with some twisties that power is going to be more than enough (and in some cases too much).

What prizzie said - on a tight and twisty road, even that can be too much. Especially if you consider that with a tune you can easily get it up to 500 ... 500, in an M3!

- - - Updated - - -

Mmm, this makes the M4 totally forgotten. Even properly kitted M235i is more fun than way too serious M4. It only needed a bit more power, clever diff (even though M235i optional LSD is already quite okay) and meaty wheel arches. And here they are!

Yup, I was always thinking about the M235i and the 1M as the better M3 because it's just too big and bloated. This emphasizes it even more.

Love the new M2. :)

Last edited:
Specs wise it look like its between the Cayman GTS and GT4. Personally, I'd take the Porsche based solely on looks.

Is it me or the car in the pictures has a DCT?