missing a part

natron23

I have this same little bike but mine isn't running and is missing some parts. I need to know what the little cylinder shaped black thing just behind the kickstarter?

7900_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
What is that then, a 70-73 Yamaha MX250? I'm not sure exactly, I've got a '74 DT250, and all I've got there is the airbox. What's it connected to?

I have this same little bike but mine isn't running and is missing some parts. I need to know what the little cylinder shaped black thing just behind the kickstarter?

sensor for brakelight?

k thanks,
it's a 73 dt 250
my guess was that it's something electrical

also, the guy i bought the bike from took the carb apart and when I got it it wasn't all there. seems like it would be more expensive to overhal/rebuild the carb than to buy a new mikuni. Would there be any issues if put in a new round slide carb with close valve and jet sizes?

I think bone might be right. I did a quick pic search cos the one at top is so small and all the bike I checked didn't seem to have one, though.

I don't think there'll be a problem with swapping the carb, people do it all the time. You might get better info from a bike specific forum, you could probably find a DT specific forum.

k thanks,
it's a 73 dt 250
my guess was that it's something electrical

also, the guy i bought the bike from took the carb apart and when I got it it wasn't all there. seems like it would be more expensive to overhal/rebuild the carb than to buy a new mikuni. Would there be any issues if put in a new round slide carb with close valve and jet sizes?

if you have to buy a new carb, don't buy mukini
dell'orto FTW! A LOT easier to jet than mukini
and if you can, get a flat-slide carb, they give better, more direct power

My carb is a little leaky, are the rebuild kits really that expensive?

^depends of what you need, a simple gasket doesn't cost that much, but if you are missing parts, it might get expensive

float, needle, jets, ... can cost quite a bit

but a new carb is expensive as well, don't know what would be the cheapest

i found the problem, frozen valve slide. loosened it up and ordered a rebuild kit off ebay for $18 to replace jets, gaskets and the missing throttle valve spring. where do i connect the small lines pictured?
dc68_1.JPG

i found the problem, frozen valve slide. loosened it up and ordered a rebuild kit off ebay for $18 to replace jets, gaskets and the missing throttle valve spring. where do i connect the small lines pictured?
dc68_1.JPG

With the exception of the line to the gas tank, the other line on mine seems to just be for bowl overflow.

Last edited:
^yep, one for if your float gets stuck, it just starts pissing petrol, untill you gastank is empty

the other one is for if you're on your side, so your gastank can drain as well

never actually understood the use, i prefer the petrol to stay IN the gastank - even when i'm on my side