MLB '10 Regular Season Thread

What I don't get is, I keep hearing the Phillies are giving up Lee so they don't have to sacrifice any prospects, yet along with Lee the Phillies are reported to be giving up their top pitching prospect.

If you're giving up your top pitching prospect regardless of circumstances, then why give up Lee as well? I understand he may leave at the end of the year but at least you'll have him for the year instead of losing both him and your top prospect.

^I'm not sure hoe I feel about this signing. Cameron is going to play in right or center field, JD Drew can't play anything other than right so that leaves center and a displaced Jacoby Ellsbury moves to left, which I don't feel is healthy for his long term development.

Edit: fears seem to be unwarranted, Cameron is going to play left. However this brings up new concerns, I don't know how much left he has played so I'm worried about his learning curve with the Monster.

Last edited:
And the White Sox have signed JJ Putz! Way to go Southsiders!

I really don't understand trading Lee. Lee, Halliday, and Hamels would be the best top 3 in any rotation in the Majors. I say give it a go for a year and try to make 2 titles in 3 years. Or at the minimum, give up Hamels.

What I don't get is, I keep hearing the Phillies are giving up Lee so they don't have to sacrifice any prospects, yet along with Lee the Phillies are reported to be giving up their top pitching prospect.

If you're giving up your top pitching prospect regardless of circumstances, then why give up Lee as well? I understand he may leave at the end of the year but at least you'll have him for the year instead of losing both him and your top prospect.

One name, Halladay

The reports ESPN has pretty much he is willing to give the Philly a hometown discount, something Lee is not willing to do, and his recent past numbers have him pitching better then Lee. Lee is reported to be seeking Free Agent like money, in the are of CC.

But he has trailed off near the end in the season, and, he has never had to pitch in pressure situation of making to the playoffs or in the playoffs. Same could be said of Lee prior to this year but I think money is the big issue.

YES!! Names of the prospects the Jays are getting are out!!

SAUCE

The Blue Jays will get three top Phillies prospects ? pitcher Kyle Drabek, outfielder Michael Taylor and catcher Travis D?Arnaud. The Phillies will get two Seattle prospects, pitcher Phillippe Aumont and outfielder Tyson Gillies. And other names may surface when the deal is completed.

Hot damn....Drabek and Taylor. GOOD JOB ANTHOPOLOUS! WAY BETTER THAN THAT BUM RICCIARDI.

I hear ya. Sometimes I question Hendry's sanity.
Looks like he's going after Byrd hard now. Watching other GMs improve their clubs while we stand pat waiting for Tampa to take Bradley is actually depressing me. The fact that we need to cut payroll to make some awful move is just ridiculous.

I take back shit-talking the Sox:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/12/15/pierre.whitesox.ap/index.html

Dodgers deal Pierre to White Sox

That could have some promise.
If Juan Pierre wasn't still haunting my dreams to this very day, I'd be tempted to say this was a good signing. The visions of five-hoppers to the middle IF, bunts called for strikes, and wild throws to the cutoff man are unforgettable. He had a few great months filling in for Manny last year, but he is what he is. He's going to steal a lot of bases, hit a lot of line drives into gloves and occasionally show off his cannon by bouncing the ball into home. At least he doesn't strike out a lot because he's too busy getting out by other, more damaging means instead...

That said, you guys know what you're getting and although it's not ideal, it fills Ozzie's leadoff hole for a relatively cheap price. I think I'm still a bit bitter. :p

The team is completely different on offense now though. Versatile, much better defensively, more "athletic". You think it'll work?

I'm really in shock over the magnitude of the Halladay-Lee deal. It's exactly why I love baseball, you don't get trades like this in other sports. The closest I can recall is the Champ Bailey-Clinton Portis deal.

I'm really in shock over the magnitude of the Halladay-Lee deal. It's exactly why I love baseball, you don't get trades like this in other sports. The closest I can recall is the Champ Bailey-Clinton Portis deal.
I read your reply at first and thought "ok" and was moving on but then my head clicked and thought I should reply...

This type of trade is kind of cool and so blockbuster in the sense you see two Cy Young pitchers traded but at the same time it also highlights one of the biggest problem with baseball is that half the teams are automatically DQ from going to the playoffs because of low income.

I mean you dont see big name QBs being traded in the NFL because you are worried you cant sign him, team have ways to build around him and you only see things like that in cases in which teams implode because of a coaching change, bad overall season or the team needs to get young fast because everyone around him is old.

But in baseball, some teams can have a Cy Young pitcher and still not even be in the playoff talks because you either a) signed him and cant afford anyone else now b) you can only keep him for his rookie contract and pray in that time you build some hitters otherwise he walks to the Yanks of Soxs. You get a few flashes of Parity in MLB, last two years we saw some flashes and in the past you see teams that can win a world series, trade everyone away and come back to it but its rare. And then the team fan base is just gutted because you cant root for a guy. The second you buy his jersey you see him on ESPN wearing a Yankees hat.

Just saying, the Blue Jays stuck to their guns and did not get anything in return (tho some might debate the quality of the Kyle Drabek) I think they where a better team with Hallyday then without him. Its just sad they can use that as a building block.
Maybe I am just also scared as the Giants have built up an epic pitching farm, with 2 lights out arms, a 3rd one just coming in and guys around them who have some great upside. Even as the giants are a middle of the road spending team, can we keep Timmy, Cain, and Bumgarner? Dont think so. Hell I am scared to think we might not be able to keep Timmy and see him in a Yankees uni!
[/RANT]

Go Go Salary cap?

Go Go Salary cap?

I think there has to be one. The bad news is that the only way that will happen is if everyone but the Yankees and maybe the Red Sox ownership gets on the same page. And even then, we'll see a situation similar to what happened in the NHL to get their current labor deal (meaning at least 1 cancelled season).

The chances of all of that happening??? Slim and none.

well I think the bigger problem is also the MLBPA, as guys hold on to the hope they can land that epic contract from the Yanks or the Sox. Or they hope for the trickle down effect, that if CC get this much money then I am worth this much and blah blah. But they are doing is hurting the sport as a whole. Also Caps have not hurt the NFL in terms of paying its player.
But first what is needed is profit sharing and more of it. It will give a shot int he arm to the smaller teams, and could buy time for a cap.

Also Caps have not hurt the NFL in terms of paying its player.
I'm not sure about that, but it hasn't introduced parity into the game either. The NBA is another example; dynasties are still going to be present and people will still bitch. :p

first what is needed is profit sharing and more of it. It will give a shot int he arm to the smaller teams, and could buy time for a cap.
What use is a cap when some teams can't/aren't willing to spend and fill the seats every day?

I agree that revenue sharing is the answer and the current plan is a step in the right direction, but a cap won't even be considered for a while. The fact is, players won't agree to the inevitable pay cuts. A salary cap and another strike would kill the sport.

Today has been a good day.

ALeqM5g2SUN7csMVdZcVl3Be02UxCGPDFQ

boston_a_lackey1_600.jpg