MLB '10 Regular Season Thread

Yeah, I'm really not sold on Boston's offense this year. Scutaro's OBP seems way off pace and Big Papi is definitely showing how big of a difference 'roids make. The spotty pitching hasn't helped either.

In other related news, I'm last again in our fantasy league. Seems all is right in this world.

Yeah watching the Red Sox this year makes me feel like a kid again....only problem is the fact that when I was a kid the Red Sox sucked....

Something for Whappeh:

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/04/get-ready-for-a-city-series-trophy.html

Forget the "Crosstown Classic," the "City Series" or whatever else Cubs vs. White Sox games have been called in the past.

Early-rising Cubs and White Sox officials and marketing executives got together Monday morning to announce what will be called the BP Crosstown Cup. Henceforth, the team with the most wins in the annual interleague series will be formally awarded the rivalry's namesake trophy.

But there was no Cup at the announcement news conference -- not even a rendering -- and there was no Mayor Daley. The three-foot tall Cup supposedly is in production, but will be ready before the Cubs and Sox meet for the first time June 11-13 at Wrigley Field.

By the time the last of the six all-Chicago games are finished June 27 at U.S. Cellular Field, the Cup will be presented to the winner, with the last team to win holding the tiebreaker.
For those keeping score, the Cubs came out the early winners at the news conference held in front of The Bean, which is, after all, on the north side of Madison Street.

The Cubs were represented by new owner Tom Ricketts, president Crane Kenney, manager Lou Piniella and players Marlon Byrd and Randy Wells. The Sox had none of the ownership group, which was represented by marketing director Brooks Boyer. And while manager Ozzie Guillen was a no-show, players A. J. Pierzynski and Gordon Beckham did attend.

"I haven't seen it, I've heard it's awesome," Pierzynski said of the new trophy.
They need to stop milking this series. :(

heh, I think its out of hand. Its not THAT big of a deal.

Didn't watch the Jays/Red Sox game today, but it seemed pretty crazy.

and he cant get a hit... :p

Great pitching, no hitting. Cubs lose again.

Also, it looks like Castro is about to be called up.

Chicago Cubs prospect Starlin Castro?s ascension to the major leagues could be right around the corner, according to a major-league source.

The 20-year-old shortstop is being monitored on a daily basis by the Cubs organization to determine when the time will be to start his major-league career.

Castro has been hitting over .300 and playing solid defense all month at Double-A Tennessee.

There are more than a couple of issues involved in promoting Castro. One is moving current shortstop Ryan Theriot to second base, and the other is deciding to move one of their backup infielders, either Chad Tracy, Mike Fontenot or Jeff Baker.

Before the Cubs organization decides to promote Castro, it wants to make sure a gameplan is in place for playing him at least five or six times per week. Manager Lou Piniella and his staff will be a part of that process and will help general manager Jim Hendry and his staff make that determination.

The Castro-Theriot combination will give the Cubs more range and better defense up the middle. Theriot has done a solid job of manning the position since 2007, however, skills-wise he doesn?t have the arm or range of an exceptional defensive player like Castro.

A certain amount of adjustment will be a key for Castro being a successful major-league player. The organization feels that the young shortstop has the baseball IQ and intelligence to deal with a certain amount of failure that goes along with seeing big-league pitching on an everyday basis.

The Cubs are counting on any adjustment that Castro has to make on offense not affecting his solid defensive game.

Assistant general manager Randy Bush is with the Tennessee team, making some evaluations that could help Hendry decide when to sit down with Piniella and his staff to make this move. Castro could be playing at Clark and Addison at any point. It could be determined that Castro should go to Triple-A for a short period before going to the majors.

It?s undetermined at this time when he?ll be brought up.
I'm not sure what this means. Are Hendry and Lou panicking already? Are we trading Theriot for a bullpen arm?

Like most, I'm extremely excited about Castro, but the only way this makes sense is if we trade Theriot. I don't think a Theriot 4, Castro 6 MI is that much better than a Baker/Fontenot 4, Theriot 6 MI. Not yet anyway. There's no need to rush him for nothing.

Last edited:
Dear lord, why do the Jays suck so bad? /facepalm

*EDIT*

OMG Nick Markakis finally hit a home run for me! And it only took 21 games and 80 AB's.

Last edited:
Twins getting screwed by the umps...

Twins getting screwed by the umps...

Happened the entire Phillies/Giants series. CB Buckner and Dana DeMuth have to be the absolute worst umpires in baseball. If its not over the middle of the plate, its not a strike. THATS NOT HOW YOU PLAY BASEBALL.

Has anyone else heard about Bobby Bonilla's contract with the Mets? Instead of buying his contract out in 2000 they deferred his money, with interest, until 2010. The Mets now have to pay Bonilla 1.2 million dollars every year from now until 2035.

Thats embarrassing.

Original link from back in the day.

Cubs got rocked today. I hope Ricketts has a fire sale and does all he can to blow this team up if we keep playing like this into late summer.

Cano is making sure he's no longer overlooked on that Yanks roster... incredible.

Last edited:
Hey, so how about them Dodgers?

Goin to go see Zito pitch against the Rockies tonight in SF. It's go time baby!

I watched Baltimore and Boston slug it out today.. great game, too bad Millwood didn't get the win though because he worked his tail off in that game thru 8!

I am also quite pissed that my Royals could not manage to get a sweep of the Rays.... uuugh!

Hey everybody. Just thought I'd stop by to say hi.

The White Sox sure are bad.
I sure do hate the Yankees.
The Twins are my homeboys.