MMA anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also Brock and JDS are fighting for the interim title, since JDS isn't happy about being inactive.

If Brock plays this like the Carwin or Cain fights, he is gonna KTFO by JDS.

No interim title will be on the line from the reports I've read. I think if Dos Santos drills his takedown defense he'll have nothing to worry about from Brock, while Brock needs to spend the next 6 months getting punched in the face.

Wish I had put some money on Melvin, had a feeling he was gonna win by KO, but didn't make any bets, I am now kicking myself.

So i have been listening to a lot of Joe Rogan's podcast of late and as you would expect MMA comes up a fair bit. Now i have watched the occasional episode of UFC that is shown for free on Spike along with watching the first few UFC fights that were released on VHS way way back in the day but i have no real understanding of what is currently happening in the sport. And so i have come here to ask you what you would suggest to someone with only the barest understanding of the sport is there anything i should read or sites i should follow? what are the best fights of the past few years or so (or any real game changers). Also a good source of UFC (or other MMA fights) via torrent would be great but not required.

Great fights you should look up, though not necessarily UFC bouts.

Wanderlei Silva Vs Quinton "Rampage" Jackson 2 - Pride 28 (A brutal classic from 2004, one of MMA's greatest ever battles and rivalries)
Gray Maynard Vs Frankie Edgar 2 from UFC 125 (This fights show what heart is all about)
Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs Lyoto Machida from UFC 104, this is an awesome battle that is pretty much all stand up fighting. the decision is one of the most talked about in all of MMA, also check out the rematch from UFC 113.

My picks for 126.

I want Vitor to win, but I don't know if he's going to pull it off.
I think Jones is going to tear through Bader, he might not do it as easily he did to Vera but he's still going to do it.
Griffin.

UFC 126:

I want Anderson to win so we could have a chance to see a fight against GSP. But most of all, I'm hoping to see a hell of a fight.... not the circus act Anderson has been put lately....

If Bader takes Jones down then we will see how Jones works with his back down on the mat. If Jones keeps the fight on standing, then I believe it would be Bader's first loss.

Damn, just damn. Jones manhandled Bader in there, he didn't really have an answer for any of Jones' attacks. After the match was the biggest surprise when Rogan said Evans blew his knee out and they want to offer Jones the shot at Shogun. Am I the only one who hadn't heard that Rashad is injured, or did they keep a lid on it? Either way it's going to be one hell of a match.

Agreed. I was surprised as well regarding Evans' injury. Expecting a hell of a fight.

Silva X Belfort: What a front kick, man. As we say here in Brazil, "cobrou um tiro de meta".

So we wait a year and a half for Vitor to finally take on Silva, and that's the end result? Jesus... I must say I don't feel the least bit sorry for him though, he's still going home to a hot wife.

Right now, I can't say who's going to win between Jones and Rua for sure. I don't know if Jones is ready for this just yet, I would have given him at least one more fight against someone like Griffin (despite Griffin going on record saying Jones would kick his ass). Rua is coming off his third knee surgery and close to year long layoff, so who knows which Rua will be showing up. But did anyone else notice Rua looked shocked and white as a ghost when Bones was announced as Evan's replacement?

I swear if Jones wins and Rogan says another "Welcome to the __________ era" I'm going to rip his tits off. NOTHING good has ever come from him making one of those statements.

I' think Fedor will win, after his loss to Werdum he is super motivated and I don't Overeem has ever faced someone of Fedor's calibre.

Last edited:
I take back what I said, but I don't believe that Silva will win the whole thing.

YES! YES! YES! Twice in a year I get to feast on the tears of Fedor fans. OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM. I bet M1 are shitting themselves right now and are trying to figure out some way to get him back in the tournament. I could see one of the others getting injured Tanya Harding style followed by the news that Fedor is going to take their place. At this point I expect Overeem to win the whole thing and then head to the UFC. Oh this has been a glorious night.

Also, I feel really bad for Arlovski, if he doesn't decide to hang it up now he's going to become the next Ken Shamrock.

Also, Strikeforce events are really boring, there is just too much bs going on.

And then Fedor says he's gonna retire and M-1 says not yet.... It would be too sad to retire in that way, but I don't know how motivated is Fedor to keep the ball rolling....

Overeem is gonna win the GP now for sure.

While there is no denying that Fedor was at the very least a damn good fighter before, I think the Silva fight proved that he's been protected over the last 5 years or so. I'd say the last credible victory he had was Cro Cop back in 2005, since then it's been a steady diet of cans (Rogers), guys way past their prime (Arlovski), or ones who weren't all that good in the first place (Sylvia). People are already making excuses that Silva didn't really beat him such as "Well he only had about 50lbs on him" "He didn't put Fedor away so it doesn't really count" "The fight was a tie at the end of the second round, Fedor WOULD have made him tap in the third" and it goes on and on. I scored the first round for Silva but it was only by a hair, the second was easily an 10-8 round for Silva. I don't think Silva is a world beater by any stretch of the imagination, but he did stuff to Fedor that no one else had to date and that should count for something.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if by some means or another Fedor gets inserted back into the tournament. I can easily see a failed drug test, injury, or just M1 strongarming Strikeforce to make it happen, this despite him losing two in a row now and having a selection of alternates ready to go. That seems to be the way things work in Strikeforce, you just fail upwards. I do love how they continue to book things figuring the outcome is a forgone conclusion and then have the whole thing blow up in their face. See Sheilds/Henderson, Lashley/Griggs, and now Fedor vs Werdume/Silva.

If Fedor decides to give it one more shot, I also wouldn't be surprised if M1 tries to renegotiate his contract for a third time, and if that happens I hope Coker tells them to get fucked. Fedor was their only bargaining chip and now it's totally gone, there is no reason for M1's logo to be seen on anything Strikeforce related from here on out.

Also, Strikeforce has got to do something about their announcing team, not only is it terrible but they let THIS go on the air.

332e8879.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.