Moab FG Offroad Jamboree May 4-8, 2020

Count me as in as one could be this early in advance.

I doubt I'll get around to making any improvements to my K5 by that time (the Fairlane is a money and attention whore after all) but even a mostly stock K5 is a pretty capable vehicle.

There'll almost certainly be open seats in my vehicle.

I like this. I've wanted to attend ever since first Moab meets. Maybe this time..

What kind of trails are you guys interested in doing? I can put together some trails ranging from "trail armor and experience is mandatory" to "scenic, fun, and easy". If people want to camp overnight, we could also do a 2-day trail; but that will involve carrying fuel, water, etc. I'm not opposed to the idea, but it's pretty nice ending the day with a hot shower and a cold beer.

Anyone else know the trails who wants to take point?

I’m going to be behind the wheel of my own rig offroad for the first time this weekend, so probably fairly newbie-friendly trails for me. Maybe we can split days up and do a mix while the mall crawlers stay at the trailhead? I plan to have skids, rock sliders, and maybe a front bumper by 2020. Hopefully more skill, too.

I'm up for whatever, but I'd like to do at least some of the more scenic trails. Challenging trails are fun but I'd rather get a grander overall experience than spend three hours at an obstacle.

Three hours at one obstacle is a bit nuts, I'm not planning on any thing like that.

I think it would be helpful to get a list of all the vehicles that are coming and how they are equipped, that will help in determining what trails are manageable and which are going to be too hard. If we do this right, an advanced group can try to go down a couple weeks early and pre-run anything that is questionable.

Yeah three hours was a bit of an exaggeration, haha. But as I'm sure you know, trail runs go at the pace of the slowest member, and I've been on a couple where we spent a lot of time at a couple of obstacles where a few of the vehicles had difficulty and things came to a dead stop so they could be guided or pulled through. That's just how it goes! As long as we know the general capabilities of the attendees it shouldn't be a problem, you know the area well and I'm sure you can pick out suitable stuff.

I will take a look at the trail book, but the first one that comes to mind is Chicken Corner. It's an out-and-back trail that leaves from town, the first half is graded dirt road and climbs towards Hurrah Pass. There are some great photo opportunities including the ability to drive out on some of the fins. (Really prime spots for drone photography if anyone brings one.) There are a few steep sections, but nothing particularly challenging. Once over the pass, the road starts to hug the cliff wall and overlooks the Colorado River. There are some moderately technical bits, but nothing a stock SUV can't handle.

pPsooGc.jpg

Yes, that's the same trail. It's very impressive, but not technically difficult. I've driven it in a stock XJ with open diffs and taken no damage.

I'll almost certainly be bringing my K5. That's on 31" Duratracs, and open diffs front and rear.

It's fairly capable, considering that it's a basically stock rig, but it's no dedicated crawler.

I'm OK with trails that have obstacles, so long as they have bypasses; but I'd probably be more interested in the scenic stuff myself anyways.

I'd probably be up for a pre-run too, if we're going to go that route, but I'm not a Moab expert. I mostly play around in the Dixie, Fishlake, and the Manti side of the Manti-La Sal national forests.

I sure hope I can make this. I've never used 4lo and the rear locker in anger.

I would be happy to help you learn, it's pretty fun! We can pair you with a seasoned driver who can coach and be your spotter.

I am equipped with a 2m ham and a CB, so anyone with either, please bring them. If you want a CB but don't want to permanently install one, Midland makes a very nice model that can plug into a 12v and use a magnetic antenna or as a mobile handheld.

https://midlandusa.com/product/75-822cb-radio/

I would be happy to help you learn, it's pretty fun! We can pair you with a seasoned driver who can coach and be your spotter.

That would be helpful. I have driven a Jeep around a local trail system and I used to off-road the crap out of a golf cart (of all the weird things). I'm still pretty green though.

Chicken Corner is easily doable on a GS. I'm also considering Seven Mile Rim, the big challenge there will be a couple rocky climbs and a long section of soft sand.

I’m in 100%!

Chicken Corner is easily doable on a GS. I'm also considering Seven Mile Rim, the big challenge there will be a couple rocky climbs and a long section of soft sand.

Chicken corners has some long sandy parts with whoops I wouldn’t want to do on a big bike.