Modded car reviews

Come on guys, we don't want Top Gear being some shitty tuner car program.

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
Bah! No modded cars on Top Gear thanks. I wouldn't mind seeing more drifting however...

Not even cars built by MINE'S, BRABUS, JUN, etc? Personalized modded cars are a different matter entirely as they are so unique and not available to the general public.

BlaRo said:
It'd be funny if Top Gear took the piss out of some badly modified cars, and maybe even bought and destroyed one in a spectacular manner. The modded car race with the Pug 107 wasn't enough piss-taking! However, Jeremy destroyed a badly modified blue-green/bright yellow Ford Sierra 4-door by throwing it off a quarry cliff in one of his videos (the clip's here on YouTube).
it's time to unpimp ze ride!! 8)

and personnaly i wouldn't mind seeing a review of the brabus SV12 or the CLS shark or one of those hideous and ridiculusly fast tuned cayennes.

Re: Modded car reviews

hansvonaxion said:
Anyone else here think it would be interesting to have a section on TG or FG reviewing modified cars? Something like the challenge they have on BM where the team come out to your local track and if you beat them around the track in your own car, you win (or something like that).

I think it would be really cool to see how older modded cars compare around the test track to newer stock cars.
They already did modded vs. stock....

Audi rally car (1982 quattro if i recall correctly)+Ford GT40

versus

Mitsu Evo 8 FQ320 + Noble M12

Well well well. I remember having this discussion some time ago on this forum.

I don't want to see any ricers on TG (and I doubt they'll show more than one every 10 years), but I would like to see cars from BRABUS, AMG, Rinspeed, STARTECH and companies like those.

evans said:
Well well well. I remember having this discussion some time ago on this forum.

I don't want to see any ricers on TG (and I doubt they'll show more than one every 10 years), but I would like to see cars from BRABUS, AMG, Rinspeed, STARTECH and companies like those.
HKS makes nice drift cars, they are ricers, but i couldn't care less.

Especially the Super Silvia they did was awesome.

hks%20silvia-1.jpg

the problem when other car shows or dvd's review cars like modded silvias is that at the end of the day they are still a silvia.

To give the viewer an understanding of why the car is better than a standard on they have to sit there and go "td06 top mount, custom front mount intercooler quad throttle bodies" it sounds like an engineering lesson from professor yawn

-- Ez

PieceOfTat said:
HKS makes nice drift cars, they are ricers, but i couldn't care less.

hks%20silvia-1.jpg

Dude, you have no clue what the term ricer really means. HKS makes cars that actually perform. Very fast cars indeed. A ricer is some kid (generally) with a big fart can muffler, giant wing, and enormous bodykit that impedes areodynamics rather than improves it. Ricers generally have stock engines are into looking fast rather than actually being fast.

Just because a car is Japanese with stickers does not make it a ricer car and called a shop tuned car by HKS shows you have no idea what you're talking about.

Didn't you get the memo? Most people here think "anything that isn't about performance is rice!".

I guess we have a lot of people driving about without paint on their bodywork, or radios in their cars.

:roll:

Ngggggggggg all this would do is turn Topgear into one of those best motoring DVD's that give out all sorts of half information (well Topgear contains a lot of half info...lol but doesn't claim to be 100% serious)

Please don't ruin Topgear by putting in modified cars. Please? :eek:

Anyway those cars (driftmachines) are built for a sport that judges style over performance. Its as much a motorsport as the local show and shine is......a true motorsport is about who is the fastest. The end. So maybe you could draw a line and call them rice cars?

I know for a fact that a lot of Japanese tuneing houses make real track cars, not just drifter cars. That I really don't mind....

BUT the point still stands, don't make Topgear a modified car show!

Another point of those drifters is that they have to be a feasible part of a business, so the companies naturally want space on the car to advertise, hence all the stickers, it needs to be flashy enough to be seen by the crowd as well.

That car and all those professional drift cars are a lot different than some spotty teenager with a big wing on the back of his economy car.

Yeah I guess I should have been clearer from the beginning.
Im a motoring enthusiast, not just a TG fan.

Its one thing to read about cars like Brabus, RUF etc, but I want to see how they perform against their base cars and other supercars.Speaking of supercars, why didnt they do a drag between the veyron and some other supercars so we could SEE just how much faster it was?

As far as user modified cars goes, anything thats particularly interesting was what I was referring to. Something with massive amounts of power or power to weight ratio, unusual engine swaps etc. I thought the part about the guy with the Sierra was alright. And even though its not really the same thing, the segment showing old Group A racers (the Audi) aginst modern street cars (Evo) was interesting.

TG doesnt have much available time, I guess a spin-off would be better, like Hot Version.

i would kill for a Hot Version format show only using European Brands. I say leave TG alone it's fine as it is but i really wish there was more shows about Euro Tuner shops. i mean some of the stuff i have read about shops like 9ff makes me drool.

TF

I'd love to see a 612bhp F40 go round the track.

nomix said:
Doesn't the F40 have 480BHP? So why 612BHP? Does it have the motor out of an SL65 :p

The only times they should show modded cars is when they run out of new cars to review or challenges. Modded cars is a whole can of worms that they should only touch on once in a while. I mean, they would probably lose some support from the manufactures if they showed how easily it was to mod some of their cars. I'm thinking of the Mini review in season 1 where Clarkson advised buying the cheapest Mini and installing the chip the more expensive one had.

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
nomix said:
Doesn't the F40 have 480BHP? So why 612BHP? Does it have the motor out of an SL65 :p
If someone took out 612bhp from an F40, that would make it a modded F40.

And I'd love to see how it would compare with the Enzo. ;)

ugh, please no! when i hear 'modded' all i can think is a cheap little front wheel drive hatchback with a big ass wing on the back, so lowered there is literally no suspension travel before its scraping away that carbon fiber stick off the crappy body kit.

i like top gear because it shows you how a car that you go an buy, performs. They need to review the base model because its consistent.. reviewing a modified car is very unfair, and really gives little indication of how the standard model performs/is.

TheCleaner said:
ugh, please no! when i hear 'modded' all i can think is a cheap little front wheel drive hatchback with a big ass wing on the back, so lowered there is literally no suspension travel before its scraping away that carbon fiber stick off the crappy body kit.

When I hear modded, I think of a MINE'S M-SPEC NuR tuned GTR R34 and R32 pumping out over 600hp in white looking almost stock. I think of a JUN tuned 450hp EVO or even their SR20DET powered MarkIV Supra. Come on, this is TOP GEAR. If they test any tuner cars, their going to test big name shop cars that are professionally tuned and carry the reputation of the builder's name not some 17-year old down the street in his hopped up Citroen with free insurance.

that's not a drift car..

uscs_feature8.jpg

that's a drift car.. 700hp.. 1300lbs.. give or take..

personally i'd love to see the boys partake in some american racing machines..

Get james a license for a 8 second car in NHRA..

Jezza has a bad back.. so.. he can take a trip to bonneville.. or the moab

drop richard in one of the cars above.. since he thinks driving a 4wd on dirt is fun.. plus hes a bit better at sideways than james.