Model designation deletion of the BMW Ms

CamoN

Car(s)
Smart Roadster Coup? '04
I have been looking into used BMW Ms (mainly M5 E39 and M3 E46) and it seems that atleast 50% of the cars have had the model designation deleted from the trunk lid.

I searched the web and found out it is a no cost option which can be chosen when ordering the car. The thing I don't understand is, why do people do this? Is it because they don't want their Ms stolen, so they disguise them like so? If that's the case, I don't think car thiefs are so stupid that they won't spot an M car when they see one, no matter if it has the badge or not. :cry:

Maybe it helps them be more 'stealthy'. The M5 is supposed to be the ultimate "wolf in sheep's clothing" isn't it?

Yeah, there was even a spotting in autocar a while back of an M3 badget as a 318...

Some people are funny

i wouldn't want a car with pretentious badges on my driveway, only invites burgelars and carthieves
and if you parc such a car in the city, you got a scratch

i'd take it off as well

I wouldn't.. and people here have respect for that and I'm confident I wouldn't get keyed.

it used to be an option for 911s...to have a 912 badge instead of the 911 badge...lets whe working man know your one of them...sort of

I know a few people with turbo'd M3 that rebadge them 318 quite funny to me.

I think many people take them off to make it sleepers.... I have a friend with a Mitsu. Galant VR-4 with over 400hp under the bonnet... from the outside... it looks like a stock VR-4 with a exhuast modification or to some people just a galant. And as Bone said... it is also to prevent people from scratching your car... it happens alot here

Fuck, I seriously hate people who scratch the car and shit. I was sitting in my dads car by myself reading the cars manual while he went ahead and do some business in some building or whatnot and across from me some old guy and his fat fuck of a wife were parked. So they come back and the fat fuck of a wife can't get in cause the parking lot is kind of tight and there's a car next to it. So they start yelling at each other and the guy tells her to get in so she slams the door into the other car and keeps doing so trying to manuver herself into it. By the time they leave, it look like somebody had tooken a hammer and chisel to the side of the door. ... I just pretended not to see any of this.

But it did piss me off so much. :x

Fuck, I seriously hate people who scratch the car and shit.
SAME! Its common in Australia. People cant accept other peoples sucess here. My neighbour got the new Peugeot (the one with the wide mouth on the front) in black and some guy 'keyed' it. Sad stuff really. Another F**KER did like a tag on the side of our Merc E-Class in a permanant marker.
These ppl piss me off :x .

I think that many like the rear clean and spotless, without any badges. My car is badge-free.

I took off the "A4" and "1.8T Quattro" emblems from my trunklid. Cleaner look.

Dr. Woo said:
I took off the "A4" and "1.8T Quattro" emblems from my trunklid. Cleaner look.

I would be so proud if I had an 1.8T Q :cry:

On some cars it does look better, for instance I saw this Mondeo stationwagon the other day and it had everything painted in Metallic without the badges, that was probably the most beautiful Mondeo I've ever seen.

I think I would'nt have a problem with a car with no badges..clean is nice too.

The whole sleeper idea plays a huge part i think. Gives most people a suprise at the traffic lights :)

But most of the times, fat tires, huge bumpers, a low ride plus multiple exaust pipes give them away anyhow.

But I believe the kind of person whos gonna scratch a car will just as likely scratch a new 3 series as a m5.

I love sleepers. Not that I have a fast car, but if I did I'd make sure it didn't have obvious tagging on it. I'm undecided about total de-badging, but I definitely like it when you take off the super-performance tag and just leave the regular badge, i.e. taking the M off of a BMW or the STi and just leaving the WRX.

If I had a load of cash, I'd build a JDM STi wagon and badge it a WRX. Its just so much more satisfying when they don't see it coming.

There's a guy somewhere who has a seriously modded WRX and has it rebadged Prodrive instead of Subaru, its kind of funny.

tommy said:
I like cars with no bagdes. I`ve removed the bagdes on my 944. Not because I wanna fool someone, but because it looks cleaner (besides that font Porsche used in the 80s is horrible).

I agree on your car. It looks great on that. But an A4 just looks fat.
(12 posts? Ur going all geeky my friend! :lol: )