• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Monaro to be killed off.....

Leppy

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,16052704-421,00.html
Monaro to roar into the sunset
By Paul Gover
July 26, 2005

Monster ... the death-knell has sounded for the Holden Monaro THE mighty Monaro, the most charismatic car in Holden showrooms, is doomed.

It is the victim of a tumultuous shake-up of Holden's whole Commodore family to make way for new-age models including all-wheel drives.
Holden's production plant in Adelaide is being restructured, building up to the arrival of the all-new VE model midway through next year.

Monaro sales have been slowing, which points to a coming plateau in demand in Australia and also for the export model of the car, the Pontiac GTO, which was developed at Fishermans Bend for sales in the US.

As yet there is no successor to the Monaro in the VE line-up, although Holden is working on several plans, including a heavyweight sports car similar to the Chevrolet Corvette.

Holden is painting the decision to end production of the Monaro later this year as a win for the company, even though it will be a big loss for fans.

"This is still the best-selling sports car in the country," spokesman Jason Laird said. "We wanted to go out with a bang while it was still on top.

"It was a question of us choosing the timing. Champions retire on top."

The Monaro was a 1960s marque, born again in the late 1990s. There was a deafening roar from customers when Holden displayed a Monaro Coupe at the Sydney Motor Show in 1990, and the car was fast-tracked into showrooms.

Only 11,000 have been sold since then in Australia, with overseas sales to Britain and the US taking the total beyond 40,000.

The numbers do not make long-term sense when Holden is struggling with back orders on more popular models, including its all-wheel-drive Adventra and V8-powered Commodore SS.

Holden plans to farewell the Monaro with a limited edition car called the CV8-Z due on sale next month. But it may not be the end for Monaro.

"Everyone at Holden is certainly committed to delivering a new-generation Monaro in the future, but there is still a lot of work to make that happen," said Denny Mooney, chairman of GM Holden.

Well isn't this a sad day. Well I guess this new "heavyweight sportscar" better not be too similar to the corvette or else noone will buy it.

Yes it is quite sad, I absolutly love the new look, but I'd take an SS over a Munro (like I did!). $10k less and you have 4 doors, which is kinda usefull when you are about to start a family! And if you spend $5k of that saving on mods, you'd easily get a better car with more power and better handling and stopping.

Lets face it though, our market is too small to sustain too many models, the more imports, the more the local stuff suffers. If our population was doubled (not that I want that, it's too crowded as it is in the cities - I'm a country boy!) there maybe a much better case for Ford and Holden to "play" more.

(ooops, accidently deleted this bit with my update) It could still be built in the USA or elsewhere and imported BACK here. HSV i'm sure would like to keep something like a coupe in their catalog.

Here is some more info and some pics http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=42268

^^^ I think thats the way they are going with it too... I'll still be built in the states and imported here....

An Australian iconic car.... built in the states to be imported here... That statement always seems wrong to me.

Fuck. This is tragic.

I tell ya what, if and Aussie icon was being built in the US and imported here, I wouldn't waste my money... I think you'd have to look at other options like the SS or (God forbid) the FPV range.

I saw that as well, that really sucks.

That said, a proper sportscar like the corvette would sell well, even if it was identical to the corvette, because there isn't anything like it on the market here. I mean you can't buy corvettes, only import them, and with recent law changes that is even more expensive to import near new cars.

Bring on the replacement I say, even if it is sad to see the monaro go

Going out on top?! You're having a laugh. No wonder their not making enough money if they have a company attitude like that! It's not about 'winning' and going out on top. It's about making money, hence why you need to wring the life out of a car for as long as you can. Running a business isn't a sport! I'd be amazed if they'd clawed back their production costs after only 50k cars. They haven't even facelifted the thing yet. If you can still sell a product, you should carry on. It's not as if current owners would be dissapointed to see the sales were decreasing as it got older.

'Oh...what a shame. The Monaro isn't the best selling car this year. How sad. I remember the days when it was selling 15k units a year. Them were the days. God it should have gone when it was still winning' :bangin:

So Holden's idea of a 'Last Hurrah' is a new paintjob, wheels and bodykit...pretty wussy...

Phoenix said:
I saw that as well, that really sucks.

That said, a proper sportscar like the corvette would sell well, even if it was identical to the corvette, because there isn't anything like it on the market here. I mean you can't buy corvettes, only import them, and with recent law changes that is even more expensive to import near new cars.

Bring on the replacement I say, even if it is sad to see the monaro go

They tried before and it fell flat on its arse.

ArosaMike said:
They haven't even facelifted the thing yet.

Ummmmm, they have actually. They had a series one and two of the VY model, then the VZ model which has much more aggresive outside styling and some changes on the interior.

Leppy said:
^^^ I think thats the way they are going with it too... I'll still be built in the states and imported here....

An Australian iconic car.... built in the states to be imported here... That statement always seems wrong to me.
My words exactly, that is soo depressing :thumbsdown: :( Oh yeh and WTF kind of bullshit reason is "we wanna go out while its on top" huh!? ArosaMike summed it up well...its just stupid.

This decision seems so unordinary somehow...it just DOESNT MAKE FKN SENSE!

If the price of fuel wasn't so damed expensive, there'd be a hell of a lot more of them around.

Also there is the fact that most Operating Leases at government places CANNOT get V8's or Turbo's anymore. There was a bunch of Directors and Associate Directors at my work (a university) that were not allowed to get a V8 when their lease ran out after July 1 last year, they have gone from V8 SS's, Calais's, Statesmans and Caprice's to the best they can get....an SV6!! I got my Operating Lease VYII SS about 2 months before the rules changed, and now it's changed into a Novated Lease for another 2.5 years as I have left the company. I know that at lease two of them would have got the new Monaro and I am sure there would be many, many more that would have also purchased and this would not be helping Holdens case with declining numbers due to government changes.

Hey I just thought...it is quite literally GAME OVER for Monaro :cry:

And yeh jneil, the price of fuel has affected its sales here in Aus...after all its Aussie and it likes a good drink here and there...well everywhere really :roll:

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
Hey I just thought...it is quite literally GAME OVER for Monaro :cry:

And yeh jneil, the price of fuel has affected its sales here in Aus...after all its Aussie and it likes a good drink here and there...well everywhere really :roll:

They are a little thirsty, but not as much as you'd think if you drive them and not sit in traffic, my SS has an average of 14.2l/100km (20mpg) for the 30600km that I've done so far. Logged every drop and every km i've done since I got it when new. I also did about 400km per week just getting to/from work, the biggest killer though is sitting, idling in peak hour, then i'll see it creap up around 17l/100km or more. It gets a boot full too, not just putting around like a grandma.

It appears that the more mods you do, then better the econnomy gets too. Mine is better now than before my mods by at least 15%! And if I put in higher diff gears, from 3.46 to 3.9, it should increase further...why?....because it will not be labouring as much in all gears and will be in the meaty part of the torque/power curve and require less fuel/air to make the same amount of power. It's been proven many times but I am not in a position to change the diff ratio at this time (currently without a job!). Also 6th gear becomes useable at speeds less than 100km/h.

2050726.004.Mini3L.jpg

2050726.004.Mini5L.jpg

2050726.004.Mini2L.jpg

Wow I can't believe its going...I mean look at it :love: :drool:
Some interesting articles I found:
http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050726.004
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=56279

I just had a pants accident :oops:

That is an amazing looker in that colour, interior looks great too!

They should use a 4.2 liter supercharged v8 or something. not a gas guzzler american engines. I mean its those engines those yanks measure with INCHES.

zyran said:
They should use a 4.2 liter supercharged v8 or something. not a gas guzzler american engines. I mean its those engines those yanks measure with INCHES.

There is NO substitute for cubic inches, I love my three hundred and forty six (the LS1 is 346ci NOT 350ci!) of them and would love a few more like a 383 (6.3 litre) or 427 (7 litre)! It's just the raw grunt of a big cube NA engine that appeals.

Many people here have supercharged 5.7's and single or twin turbo's and find that they are way more efficent than stock and with over 400rwkw and a shit load of torque, it will certainly bring a massive smile to your face....not bad at all for pushrods!

I must say that a 4.2 litre V8 (253ci) DOHC with Supercharger or a turbo or two using heaps less juice and producing similar power would be very nice indeed!

Hmmmm... so the rumours of a new GTO on a newer platform are true... at least for the US.