Monaro to be killed off.....

^^

well, what badge should have been put on it instead??

I'm surprised that Australia would stop making one of its iconic sports cars, but considering how many more Commodore SSs I've seen on the road compared to Monaros (in Saudi Arabia at least), I guess it makes sense. GM had already killed off the Camaro too, one of America's iconic sports cars, so this isn't the first time they've done something like this. The Monaro was actually a decent car though, so it's sad to see it go. :cry:

Leppy said:
Phoenix said:
I saw that as well, that really sucks.

That said, a proper sportscar like the corvette would sell well, even if it was identical to the corvette, because there isn't anything like it on the market here. I mean you can't buy corvettes, only import them, and with recent law changes that is even more expensive to import near new cars.

Bring on the replacement I say, even if it is sad to see the monaro go

They tried before and it fell flat on its arse.

they did? Which car?

chaos386 said:
I'm surprised that Australia would stop making one of its iconic sports cars, but considering how many more Commodore SSs I've seen on the road compared to Monaros (in Saudi Arabia at least), I guess it makes sense.

That's because the SS is far more family orientated. A four door sedan with great performance. Whereas the Monaro is more of a young couple or car enthusiast type coup?... You don't see many little kids sitting in the back seats of the Monaro.

watto said:
chaos386 said:
I'm surprised that Australia would stop making one of its iconic sports cars, but considering how many more Commodore SSs I've seen on the road compared to Monaros (in Saudi Arabia at least), I guess it makes sense.

That's because the SS is far more family orientated. A four door sedan with great performance. Whereas the Monaro is more of a young couple or car enthusiast type coup?... You don't see many little kids sitting in the back seats of the Monaro.
The SS is also far more popular among young people there. Large four-door saloons don't have the old person stigma they do in other places, so you'll even see young people in Caprice SS's.

Caprice SS??? Middle East I'm guessing, what model is that based on?

Any Aussie four-door sedan with a phat V8, whether it be Holden or Ford, have never had an old person stigma, well, neither have the standard Commodore's. Personally, I see the Statesman and Caprice being the old person limousines.

The Calais is quite a popular car too, Commodore body with Statesman luxury.

watto said:
^^

well, what badge should have been put on it instead??

Keep it Holden, or even Vauxhall would've worked. But now it just falls into the Pontiac ring or crap cars like the Grand AM, Sunfire, Aztek, etc. ...those are crap cars that shouldnt have been associtaed with the Monaro IMO...

Phoenix said:
Leppy said:
Phoenix said:
I saw that as well, that really sucks.

That said, a proper sportscar like the corvette would sell well, even if it was identical to the corvette, because there isn't anything like it on the market here. I mean you can't buy corvettes, only import them, and with recent law changes that is even more expensive to import near new cars.

Bring on the replacement I say, even if it is sad to see the monaro go

They tried before and it fell flat on its arse.

they did? Which car?

Corvette. Brought over in small numbers... and good thing too...

I actually like the corvette, i'd love to have one, faults and all, but I thought they were only brought in as imports and converted to RHD? Happy to be proved wrong mind you :lol:

Phoenix said:
I actually like the corvette, i'd love to have one, faults and all, but I thought they were only brought in as imports and converted to RHD? Happy to be proved wrong mind you :lol:

I think you might be right... but they had trouble getting rid of those...

GM Media Release

Australia?s undisputed 21st Century sports car hero and international ambassador, the Holden Monaro, will be farewelled later this year.

Holden will next month release a striking special edition, Monaro CV8-Z, as the final chapter in a remarkable success story in Australian automotive history and cement Monaro?s reputation as a performance car collectable classic.

The modern Monaro, a reincarnation of the 1960s and 1970s performance leader, has captured the Australian public?s imagination and beaten all comers as the nation?s best selling sports car for the past three years.

The coupe has also become an international car, selling in the United States, United Kingdom, Middle East and New Zealand under various brands and appearing in movies and television series.

Holden will this month sell its 40,000th coupe representing the brands of Holden, Holden Special Vehicles, Pontiac, Vauxhall, Vauxhall VXR or Chevrolet around the globe.

GM Holden Chairman and Managing Director, Denny Mooney, today said the Monaro had been an iconic car for Australia?s icon car company. He said Monaro could only be farewelled with a special edition pack to ensure the nameplate left the marketplace on a suitable high.

?The new generation Monaro has been an absolute winner in Australia - a hands-down winner in the sports car market. It has been the flagship of our performance car range and the standard for others to match,? he said.

?Monaro has really strengthened Holden?s position in the global automotive business. It reinforced this company?s design, engineering and manufacturing reputation which was reflected in our record company exports of more than 52,000 last year.

Our coupe has worn four GM brands on four continents and sold almost six times as many cars as were first planned. Of the 40,000 coupes we have built, about three-quarters were sent overseas.

?But most of all, Monaro ignited something deep within the Australian car culture and made people think about locally built performance cars as capable of competing with anything in the world from the value perspective. It?s important that we deliver a special edition VZ Monaro which keeps the coupe amongst the most collectable modern Australian cars into future years.?

Mr Mooney said GM Holden continued to investigate options for a next generation coupe with other divisions of General Motors.

?Everyone at Holden is certainly committed to delivering a new generation Monaro in the future but there is still a lot of work to make that happen. We?re looking at a number of options to ensure Holden continues to set the standard when it comes to performance coupes in the future.

?Monaro means too much to Holden to not have another Monaro at some time in the future.?

CV8-Z specifications

CV8-Z declares its presence with an all-new Holden color called Fusion, extending the palette of hero colors for which the company has become renowned. Fusion is an orange-based metallic delivering sharp gold highlights through to darker bronzed drop-out.

Exterior features include factory fitted Holden By Design sunroof, black bonnet scoop accents, machined 18-inch five-spoke alloy wheels with one spoke embossed with the CV8-Z logo, modified rear lamps and unique gun metal chrome CV8-Z badging on the rear.

Buyers choosing Fusion or Holden?s signature black Phantom color will receive a Fusion colored instrument cluster and Fusion highlighted leather trim.

Three other combinations will be offered ? Quicksilver, the chromatic teal blue mica Turismo and the bold Devil Yellow with anthracite leather and colour-matched cluster.

Holden Marketing Manager Large Cars, Alan Blazevic, said CV8-Z would be a wakeup call to Monaro fans who had not yet bought the new generation coupe, as well as a temptation for existing Monaro owners considering an upgrade.

He said CV8-Z would sell for $60,490, the same recommended retail price as VZ Monaro. Sales would commence in early August with planned production of 1200 units.

?There is no question that the more aggressive, more powerful VZ Monaro has struck a new chord with coupe buyers as sales are running in line with last year,? Mr Blazevic said.

?The CV8-Z treatment takes a great coupe and makes it even better. It?s a fitting way to celebrate Monaro?s success and we expect it to be an extremely popular end to the current generation.

?Managing the life cycle ensures strong ongoing demand for used Monaros, keeping resale values high and protecting its deserved reputation as a classic.?

Introduced in October 2001, the new generation Monaro was coded V2 at launch. Holden delivered model upgrades as the V2 Series II (2002) and Series III (2003) before the more aggressive VZ Monaro was launched last year. The current series has the distinction of being the most powerful production Holden ever released at 260 kilowatts of peak power and 500 Newton metres of peak torque.

Mr Blazevic said the decision to complete the latest Monaro chapter applied only to the Australian and New Zealand markets. HSV and the various export markets would make announcements in due course regarding their programs.

watto said:

Any Aussie four-door sedan with a phat V8, whether it be Holden or Ford, have never had an old person stigma, well, neither have the standard Commodore's. Personally, I see the Statesman and Caprice being the old person limousines.

The Caprice SS is based off your Holden Caprice and gets sports suspension, a rear lip spoiler, and the badge from the old Impala SS (The RWD one, not the wussy FWD one!). Here's a pic:

capricess1vd.jpg

In the Middle East, not even cars llike the Caprice are considered to be old persons' cars. I've seen just as many Caprice SS's at my uni as Mustangs.

Hmmmmm, that looks more like the HSV Grange, I'm not certain that you can get an aggressive body kit for the Caprice, even if you do get the V8 version!

zyran said:
They should use a 4.2 liter supercharged v8 or something. not a gas guzzler american engines. I mean its those engines those yanks measure with INCHES.

GM don't have such an engine, creating one would put up costs.

Anyway the LS2 engine produces 24MPG in this car which is amazing given the 400 horses and 400 foot/lbs out put. They use it in a lot of cars and is cheap to produce, they've been making small-block chevy engines for over 50 years so all the bugs have been well ironed out.

Reducing the displacement yet adding forced induction would cancel each other out so their would be no benefit in MPG or performance.

Matthew

chaos386 said:
watto said:

The Caprice SS is based off your Holden Caprice and gets sports suspension, a rear lip spoiler, and the badge from the old Impala SS (The RWD one, not the wussy FWD one!). Here's a pic:

capricess1vd.jpg

In the Middle East, not even cars llike the Caprice are considered to be old persons' cars. I've seen just as many Caprice SS's at my uni as Mustangs.
I gotta say, i'v always liked what Chevvy have done with their Holdens in the Middle East, looks great :thumbsup: Shame Pontiac and America don't have that same connection!

Why is the SS Commodore more popular that the Monaro? It's $A50K instead of $A60K, same performance as the Monaro and has 4 doors instead of 2. People who buy a Monaro are paying $10K for the badge, that's it.

Frankly, even blind freddy could have seen the Monaro's move to the US coming. 270 million people vs 20 million people, Pontiac sell more in a handful of months that what Holden have shifted over the last 4 years. It will be interesting to see how "American" the next one will be, Holden PR are full of crap for insisting that it will remain an Australian car.

As a holden man it does pain me to say that their PR department is somewhat full of shit...

They really did need to make the 427 as well... it was a wonderous car and people were willing to pay more than the 200K asking price...

People were putting deposits on it at the various motor shows!!!

The 427 was one sweet car.

BTW< what did the 427 stand for? bhp or kW... or just some random number?

It will be interesting to see how "American" the next one will be, Holden PR are full of crap for insisting that it will remain an Australian car.
How Aussie?? Not very I think :thumbsdown: It so dissapointing that we are just going to give up an Aussie icon cos it doesnt have strong sales. When your talking about a badge like "Monaro" and "Torana", the sales and profit shouldnt matter, its about its presence in OUR freakin' nation!! Its like if we were to be handed the famous Corvette badge thanks to our connection with GM :?
BTW< what did the 427 stand for? bhp or kW... or just some random number?
Here ya go 8)
Racing heritage features under the bonnet with a V8 engine that shares its 427 cubic inch (7.0 litre) capacity with the legendary big block Chev.

hrt427.jpg

hrt4272.jpg

hrt4273.jpg

hrt4274.jpg

hrt4275.jpg

Racing heritage features under the bonnet with a V8 engine that shares its 427 cubic inch (7.0 litre) capacity with the legendary big block Chev. Based on a Corvette C5R race engine, it's been hand built by HRT technicians, incorporating their own unique piston and CNC cylinder head design. This very special powerplant feeds through eight individual throttle bodies with carbon fibre trumpets.