Monitor stays dark

Psirus

Hey guys, I have a problem, and I don?t really know whats causing it. I was working normally on my desktop when the monitor went into standby, as if it didn?t receive a signal. Even after a cold reset of the desktop, it still doesn?t receive a signal, not even during the "bios"-phase of booting. I?ve tried both my Nvidia card, and taking it out and using the onboard Intel, but no luck. The monitor itself is working, I tested it with my laptop. Sometimes the picture does work again, but after a minute or two it shuts off again. This happens both on Win7 and on Linux.
So it is not the OS, not the monitor and not the graphic card, right? Motherboard then?
Any help is really appreciated.

Three parts have not been tested individually - the cable, the integrated GFX chip, and the dedicated GFX card. Use the cable elsewhere, or use a different monitor on this computer.

Does the occasional working always start from bootup, or does it occasionally start working while the computer is turned on already?
If it's the latter then your internals are likely to be fine.

Okay, small update. The cable is not the problem, I used it to try the monitor with the laptop, and also borrowed a DVI cable yesterday. Didn?t help.
If it does work occasionally (didn?t happen again), it was from boot.
I?m starting to think the problem is the mainboard, I wanted to login via SSH, but there was no network connection, and the status LEDs of the LAN-connector don?t light up at all.

The ethernet port LEDs often are illuminated even when the PC is off, provided the other side has power as well. If that is off and stays off you likely have a problem with the mainboard or power supply :nod:

Okay, I?ve just replaced the motherboard (first time I?ve done that in my life), and now it?s working fine. So I guess problem solved. Thanks for the help.