More Audi "Ur-Quattro" Details

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
Sounds pretty sweet, hopefully the quattro system will be tuned so it handles less like an S5 and more like the R8. :) Weight savings should be interesting, but it seems like the price will be quite high, but I guess if you get ceramic brakes standard, that would definitely be a factor.

More Audi "Ur-Quattro" revival rumors surface, debut expected in 2010

Source: Autoblog

Rumors of Audi's plan to resurrect the Ur-Quattro continue to persist, with Auto Motor und Sport reporting that the highly modified A5 is due to arrive sometime next year.

According to the German pub and coinciding with earlier reports, Audi plans to bring the curb weight down to around 3,000 pounds by using scads of aluminum along with polycarbonate windows in place of their glass counterparts. Further weight reductions will come from a lightweight set of 19- or 20-inch wheels and carbon ceramic brakes, while an active rear spoiler, magnetic-ride suspension system and a raced-out interior are rumored to be part of the package.

Naturally, Audi's all-wheel drive system will be the centerpiece of the reborn Ur-Quattro, but there's still plenty of questions surrounding the coupe's powertrain. Audi has supposedly decided to nix the idea of fitting its 4.2-liter V8 and will instead use either a new, twin-turbocharged V6 (odd, considering the automaker put all its efforts into creating a 3.0-liter supercharged V6 for the new S4 and A6) or possibly the 2.5-liter five cylinder currently fitted to the TT-RS in a historical nod to the new Ur's ancestry. If AMuS is to be believed, expect output somewhere between 300 and 425 hp ? and there's also talk of a hybrid variant that would allow for a 20-mile electric-only commute (something about a snowball comes to mind...). Regardless, if the Ur-Quattro does come to fruition, expect it to debut sometime next year to coincide with the original's 30th anniversary, with pricing set considerably north of the current S5.

audi-a5-quattrosport-580op.jpg

66458590_225c13ee73.jpg

66458591_9d911db667.jpg

I'm going to say that looks fucken ugly.

And please Audi, make it good so you don't ruin the Quattro name.

I agree, the S5 definitely looks better.

It's just photoshops, kids. And if they are making a modern day Quattro, it still needs to be I5.

The bottom one has half the evo X concept photoshopped in. o_O

One of the worst chops I've ever seen, and it does not seem to support the provenance of this Autoblog article, but still could be true though.

Edit: Aiolos, car news are always like that, they can be true, or can be total BS made up by people ;)

Last edited:
Actually, I checked more, and it seems that the actual article came from a German site, so :dunno:

wait... isn't the S5 the new Ur-Quattro i mean it has Quattro AWD and 2 Doors just like the original... the Ur-Quattro was really just a variant of the Audi Coupe/Audi 80 which was already in production. If they wanted to make a new High Performance Coupe why not call it the Sport Quattro

^Your face is boring!

No way that car can have under 350HP would be no reason to go for it over the S5. If they do build one it would have to be at least 400 or so in order to justify a price premium. Not sure if it is very likely since there have been very persistent rumors of the RS5, which can be expected to compete with the possible Ur.

Rumors, rumors...

Over-under on the price? I'm gonna say 75,000, and i'm gonna take the over. :thumbsdown: