More Camaro issues. This time the transmission.

nouseferaname90

Sporadic reports have begun popping up in the Camaro5 forums about issues with V8-powered SS models equipped with the manual transmission. It seems that doing a hard launch or using the launch control system occasionally results in a broken output shaft, a serious failure that will most likely leave the car immobile and in need of repair. We spoke with General Motors spokesman Adam Dennison about the problem and, as this is being written, a factory hold has been put on deliveries of manual transmission V8 Camaros while Chevrolet engineering teams investigate the problem.

Based on the reports, the transmission issues may not be related to the launch control system as the failures seem to happen whether or not launch control is engaged. The Camaro SS uses the Tremec 6060 six-speed gearbox ? the same transmission fitted to the Dodge Viper, Mustang GT500, Corvette Z06 and other performance cars ? so this is likely a manufacturing issue with a batch of gearboxes.

Dennison told Autoblog that an engineering meeting is being held this evening to identify the cause and establish a timing for the fix ? and a recall seems likely. In the meantime, if you have a manual model Camaro SS, you might want to go easy on the launches for now ? and if you have one ordered, you'll have to wait a bit longer

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30226

Yet another Gaymaro fail.

While it may use the same design transmission as other cars, the TR6060, the parts may not be the same spec. For example, in its prior incarnation as the T56 transmission, there were different input shafts for Corvette, Viper and Mustang - no two alike. Likewise output shafts were different.

At a guess, GM cheaped out on the spec again. That's happened before, back when the Camaro had the T5 - Ford went to the stronger so-called "World Class" T5 in their Mustang V8s and GM stayed with the "Non-World-Class" T5 in their V8 F-bodies. Guess whose transmissions grenaded under stock power? All because GM specced the lower-level parts/transmission.

GM has a history of doing that.

Last edited:
@Spectre - How do you know this stuff? I heard a rumor that it was GM's fault for cheaply speccing out their Tremec 6 speed boxes, but I've also heard that this box has been having problems on the Z06 as well as the Challenger.

As I said, I'm just guessing with regards to their latest failure. However, GM has a history of cheaping out on their transmissions. A long and inglorious history, so it stands to reason this is more of the same.

Meet the New GM.... same as the old GM.

Spectre, even if you're unsatisfied with your life, it's probably not GM's fault...

I Try to stay out of these threads, but it is getting pretty pathetic, isnt it?

Oh look, a broken tranny on a GM car. now, let's all gather around it and make fun of the GM quality issues.

Oh look, a broken tranny on a GM car. now, let's all gather around it and make fun of the GM quality issues.
simpsons_nelson_haha2uwr.jpg

If the problem persists then I'll consider it "business as usual" for GM. But the fact that they halted production to figure out the issue could mean ... my God ... they're going to try to fix it.

Wow a Camaro with a Transmission that fails?

They picked up right where they left off in 2002!!! Making a Camaro with a transmission that will destroy itself at least 3 times during the life of the car. (which is 8 years or less)

And Matt, truth hurts don't it?

They picked up right where they left off in 2002!!! Making a Camaro with a transmission that will destroy itself at least 3 times during the life of the car. (which is 8 years or less)

I sincerely hope you're not insinuating the F-bodies with a T-56 were prone to transmission failure...

Here's the thing, the 6060 has had these failures in other cars, the difference here is the sheer volume of cars combined with the fact that there is a launch control feature means that you're just gonna see that same failure more often. I'll say this, rather than voiding everyone's warranties and saying "tough luck, now pay us thousands of dollars", GM is looking to fix the issue and put out a recall. Isn't that the proper way to go about this?

Has GM ever shipped a manual transmission Camaro with 5 speeds or more that wasn't likely to have the gearbox explode under stock power?

I sincerely hope you're not insinuating the F-bodies with a T-56 were prone to transmission failure...

Actually they are. They are prone to breaking the transmission mount and the casing at the transmission mount. Among other problems.

Here's the thing, the 6060 has had these failures in other cars, the difference here is the sheer volume of cars combined with the fact that there is a launch control feature means that you're just gonna see that same failure more often. I'll say this, rather than voiding everyone's warranties and saying "tough luck, now pay us thousands of dollars", GM is looking to fix the issue and put out a recall. Isn't that the proper way to go about this?

This is an improvement over GM of old, I will admit - but wouldn't it be better if they'd, I dunno, actually spent the time to test the vehicles? Oh, wait....

Last edited:
Has GM ever shipped a manual transmission Camaro with 5 speeds or more that wasn't likely to have the gearbox explode under stock power?

Sorry but the T-56 in the F-bodies were capable of holding well over 600hp and not break under extremely hard use.

Sorry but the T-56 in the F-bodies were capable of holding well over 600hp and not break under extremely hard use.

See my quote above. The Mustang T-56s were able to do so... but GM screwed up on the Camaro T-56. There's the problem with the GM CAGS system which forces a 1-4 shift under part throttle and which (not surprisingly) breaks. The special reverse lockout they had installed is also a common failure.

See my quote above. The Mustang T-56s were able to do so... but GM screwed up on the Camaro T-56. There's the problem with the GM CAGS system which forces a 1-4 shift under part throttle and which (not surprisingly) breaks. The special reverse lockout they had installed is also a common failure.

No, I'm talking the F-body's T-56. The failures you're talking about weren't all that common and were mostly on the first versions to have said features. As for the power capacity, they were rated at 450lb/ft (more than Ford's, only the Dodge version was rated for more from the factory) but they can and will hold much more than that.