More Chrysler models on the chopping block?

I won't believe the Viper is dead until I hear it officially.

The Viper has followed a natural evolution.

1st:
*snal*

2nd:
*snap*

3rd:
*snap*

4th:
*snap*
you're not getting what i'm saying. a generation refers to an all new redesigned car with the same name. if we would go with your idea, then the 1st generation Camaro should of went through more generations than we thought since it went through minor changes upto the second generation in 1970.
And I still love how they don't have doorhandles. lol
both generations have door handles. the first has handles right before the b-pillar right behind the window. the second has door handles just like the Corvette's that have been around since the C2 generation with the handle being on top of the door.

Interesting when is a model new and when is it a face lift?

Any how I really hope that the Viper survives too.

BTW: In the UK when Lotus chopped the Lotus 7 in the 60's they sold on the rights to the likes of Caterham and Westfield, would not an option be that Cerberus do the same - could get quite a list of buyers for the rights and the car would live on for the enthusiasts.

I won't believe the Viper is dead until I hear it officially.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080129/BUSINESS01/801290320/-1/PRINT

The UAW told its members in October that Chrysler plans to close the Conner Avenue Assembly Plant in Detroit some time over the next four years. The Detroit Axle plant is slated to close after the new Marysville axle facility comes online; the union has said UAW members will have the right to transfer to the new facility.

Conner ave plant is goin away.. that's where the viper is built.

It may be that it's outsourced to McLaren (the american one, not the european one), but that depends on if it can be produced and still be profitable.

Chrysler needs money to fix the Avenger and Sebring.. they are supposedly undergoing a complete redesign because the DCX version.. well sucks. If they can get some bread/butter cars profitable, then the viper might survive.. however who knows how long they can go without putting in traction control to satisfy the safety nazis.. which would neuter the car.. i'd rather it die with a 650hp v10 that's batshit insane with very little safety gear, than go out a hobbled car that won't kill you and acts more like a vette.

Maybe when bernhards anti-compete clause is up.. the me412 will be the vipers successor.

Chrysler said in a statement that Vice Chairman Jim Press had just completed an eight-day tour of about 3,000 Chrysler dealers during which the company had unveiled a new corporate initiative called "Project Genesis." The tour came ahead of the annual National Automobile Dealers Association meeting, taking place in San Francisco

3,000 divided by 8 = 375. How could he have been to this many dealers each day? Or did I just missed something?

Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge dealers? That's three in one already!

I wonder how many of the dropped models are cars that we will care about or miss?

I really hope that Cerberus cuts the:
Compass
Patriot
Commander
Caliber
Nitro
Avenger
Pt Cruiser

But I hope they keep the:
Viper
Charger
Magnum
Wrangler
Grand Cherokee

Anything else... I don't care about.

I really hope that Cerberus cuts the:
Compass
Patriot
Commander
Caliber
Nitro
Avenger
Pt Cruiser

But I hope they keep the:
Viper
Charger
Magnum
Wrangler
Grand Cherokee

Anything else... I don't care about.

sadly, i bet it'll be closer to the other way around.

There's no way in hell that they are going to cut the LX cars. I mean, those cars have so much potential. If they rework the suspension and remake the interior, it could easily be a 5 series sized car for 3 series money.

And there is no way in hell they would cut the Wrangler. That car is an American icon and remains a symbol of the Jeep brand. Every other model has taken styling cues from that design.

Not to mention that they can't keep them on the lots. Jeep is one of the few constantly profitable car companies.

Interesting when is a model new and when is it a face lift?

Any how I really hope that the Viper survives too.

BTW: In the UK when Lotus chopped the Lotus 7 in the 60's they sold on the rights to the likes of Caterham and Westfield, would not an option be that Cerberus do the same - could get quite a list of buyers for the rights and the car would live on for the enthusiasts.

I don't think many people would buy a Viper that wasn't from Dodge. But if the Viper gets killed and has no successor, then I could see there being demand for it again in several years. Then again, they do sell in relatively large numbers and don't hold their value at all.

Actually I don't know about anyone else but I like the Jeep Commander.

I mean I think this look pretty damn good.

http://img168.imageshack.**/img168/6158/800pxjeepcommanderfrontnn1.jpg

Congratulations, aside from the craptastic Compass and Patriot you chose one of the worst cars they have ever produced. I saw one of the top-end trim packs up close and it made me want to vomit. I can forgive the Wrangler for a few rough edges because it's supposed to be a rough and tumble off roader. This is trying to compete with the likes of the Land Rover LR3 and Toyota 4Runner and it utterly fails. If the Commander were to disappear forever I would be perfectly fine with it.

Congratulations, aside from the craptastic Compass and Patriot you chose one of the worst cars they have ever produced. I saw one of the top-end trim packs up close and it made me want to vomit. I can forgive the Wrangler for a few rough edges because it's supposed to be a rough and tumble off roader. This is trying to compete with the likes of the Land Rover LR3 and Toyota 4Runner and it utterly fails. If the Commander were to disappear forever I would be perfectly fine with it.

May I ask on what your basing that assertion?

Last edited:
My own eyes and all the reviews of the Commander, Patriot and Compass (Trail Rated models where applicable) that say they are utter shit. The interior is crap, they have useless plastic "chrome" handles on either side of the lift gate, but if you grab them it feels like you are going to tear them off. Chrysler tried to do a fancy interior and make a "civilized" SUV but they utterly failed.

My own eyes and all the reviews of the Commander, Patriot and Compass (Trail Rated models where applicable) that say they are utter shit. The interior is crap, they have useless plastic "chrome" handles on either side of the lift gate, but if you grab them it feels like you are going to tear them off. Chrysler tried to do a fancy interior and make a "civilized" SUV but they utterly failed.

I'd like some sources supporting your claims, and based on what you just said, I would like to see several.

Dan Neil savages it. All the other links on that page go to lukewarm reviews at best. Not to mention, sales of this half-assed styled-by-Lego thing are down 24% compared to last year (http://www.jeepcommander.net/) It's no Sebring-like turd, but the best thing it gets is "Oh. Eh."

Your going to have to do better than just 2 negative reviews.