more wireless issues

LeVeL

Forum Addict
Last night my connection slowed to an absolute crawl. This morning the problem persists - 0.46Mbps download, 11.64Mbps upload, ping 14ms. The wireless works great on my phone still. Tried flushing dns, renewing ip, nothing. Firewall is uninstalled. ipconfig shows an ip for wireless. It says it's connected to WiFi with no problems but pages no longer load at all because the connection times out (with both chrome and Firefox). wpn824n 802.11n

Any ideas? :(

edit: fine when on the wire. Roommate is also having wifi probems.

Last edited:
Get some utility to check your channels, might be congestion on the channels (net stumbler is popular on windows but doesn't work with all cards), at minimum switch channels to non-defaults 99% of people never bother to so everyone's on the same channel. If it's a puter only problem I would say look into drivers and maybe check antenna connections, if it's the router try upgrading firmware might have some weird bugs. Reboot is always an option as well.

Get some utility to check your channels, might be congestion on the channels (net stumbler is popular on windows but doesn't work with all cards), at minimum switch channels to non-defaults 99% of people never bother to so everyone's on the same channel. If it's a puter only problem I would say look into drivers and maybe check antenna connections, if it's the router try upgrading firmware might have some weird bugs. Reboot is always an option as well.

Yup. All these. One of the first things I try when people have wireless issues is channel change. It's not perfect but a lot of the time it'll make the difference between getting devices with notoriously shit wi-fi (namely smart TV's) connected or not.

Did that. No one else was using the same channel but a lot were one over so I changed it and now wifi connects... but it's stupid-slow. What now, sirs?

Have you tried doing a power cycle and firmware update on the router? If both of those wont alleviate it, perhaps you could see how the computer reacts when connected to a different wi-fi network? That would help isolate whether you're dealing with a computer issue or the router.

Router firmware is up to date.

Tried connecting to some random unsecured network and failed:

dns.jpg

Researching that now...

edit: posting this edit from my laptop. Its MUCH faster than the wifi on my desktop, leading me to believe that it is indeed a problem with my desktop and not with the router or network.

Last edited:
Can one update firmware on wnics these days? might be that as well. Can you test by tethering to your phone via wi-fi and seeing if the issue is still there?

Router settings reset to default and all is well again :) Thanks gents! +reps all around!

Fun fact, in the process of trying to fix it, we moved the router to the living room, which resulted in these speeds for me:

3332236636.png

After moving it back to my roommate's room, which is a lot closer to my computer:

3332246177.png