Moss injured in lift accident

WillDAQ

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81925

Moss injured in lift accident

By Jonathan Noble

Sir Stirling MossStirling Moss is recovering in hospital from serious injuries he suffered in a lift accident at his home over the weekend.

The racing legend fell down three floors of a lift shaft following a malfunction with the lift doors - when they opened on the third floor while the lift was still a floor further up.

Moss broke both ankles and four bones in his feet, plus suffered further damage to his vertebrae, in the fall. Luckily he did not suffer any internal injuries.

Following the accident, Moss was admitted to the London Hospital and then later moved to the Princess Grace Hospital, following the intervention of Professor Sid Watkins. Doctors hope he can be moved out of intensive care later on Monday, and his life is not in danger.

Despite the severity of his injuries, his wife Lady Moss reports him to be in high spirits.

I don't think there's much more I can add to that... what a way to get injured!

Frank Williams is gonna have a lot of explaining to do.

Heads are gonna roll at WilliamsF1, probably.

My goodness I hope he gets well soon. Getting hurt at that age takes a long time to recover...

Heres a vid about his house, including the lift (starts at 2:30).
[YOUTUBE]a9C2T0ObRzU[/YOUTUBE]

Get well soon Sir Stirling Moss. It will take more than a few broken bones to keep the great man down!

He's a tough cookie! But that was one hell of a nasty accident. :\

Wow. Hope he's OK. Always weird how men like that spend thier lives doing crazy speeds in GP cars, and then end up getting hurt in their own home worse than they did in the cars...

I wonder why he didnt notice, when he stepped off, that he was not at a floor.. ? Ive been on a few lifts in my time, maybe not as much as him but I notice when there is no floor before I step...

I hope he is ok though, so glad he didnt get spinal compression and organ damage, he would have bled out there quickly.

Heres a vid about his house, including the lift (starts at 2:30).
[YOUTUBE]a9C2T0ObRzU[/YOUTUBE]

Good to know '70s interior styling is still alive and well. :p

Given that it was made by an F1 team the fact that the elevator lasted more than a season is surprising. Seriously though I hope he gets better as soon as possible.

I wonder why he didnt notice, when he stepped off, that he was not at a floor.. ? Ive been on a few lifts in my time, maybe not as much as him but I notice when there is no floor before I step...
This is what I thought when reading the article. Surely Moss didn't just walk into an open pit, did he?

love the 70's ghetto controls in his house

and love how its all rickety sounding....like he built it himself from spare hair dryers and hi-fi's

well if you have a lift in your house your probably using it all the time so when the doors open your probably just going to step out mostly just by reflex and without thinking too much, sort of like walking down stairs, you just dont think about it while your doing it. at least thats something I could totally imagine happening to me.

however it happened, hope he gets well soon! from the the way they described the accident and considering his age, it sounds like it could have been much worse.

He's eighty years old!

Dude must be made of something yet to be discovered by man.

Last edited:
This is what I thought when reading the article. Surely Moss didn't just walk into an open pit, did he?

I hope he is ok though, so glad he didnt get spinal compression and organ damage, he would have bled out there quickly.

It can't be that uncommon. By law, all of our lifts have a sticker warning people to make sure there is indeed a lift there when the doors open.

Am I the only one who thought this was about another moss?

the_it_crowd_moss.jpg

No! I did too.:lol:

Just reading a tweet which says Williams just made the carbon fiber parts of the elevator, they had nothing to do with the controls, machinery, electrics, etc.