Most Disappointing Cars of the Decade.

Kowalski

What was the most disappointing car of the decade in your opinion?

It doesn't have to be a bad car, just the car that was much below your expectations when it was finally unveiled.

Kia Soul. It looks great, it has a fairly good interior, it's practical, it's got a good equipment level and the price is right. But that engine, it's just...awful. It turns what should be a good, competitive hatchback into something I couldn't imagine living with. It's the most disappointing just because it's so close to being good.

The Audi S6

10.jpg

Audi had all the ingredients to make the S6 something truly remarkable. They had the expertise and access to the V10 engine of the Lamborghini Gallardo, the S6 should have been brilliant; a serious rival for the BMW M5.

But unfortunately the car that resulted is quite pointless. It's not a rival for the M5 and certainly isn't a rival for the 550i, then what hell is it?

The ingredients were all there... and Audi just wasted them.

I hate to say it, but the new Camaro is up there for me. As is the new Dodge Challenger. Both had been dead for a while, an extremely long while for the Dodge, and both had tons of hype leading up to their release. And when they finally hit the dealers, neither was all that great, to be honest. Both were being boasted as having big V8's and IRS, but they both weigh as much as a small apartment building, neither have particularly good handling or steering. The good old Ford Mustang with its good old solid axle was just as good in terms of handling and had much better steering. It really wasn't the sort of epic come back that most people were expecting. And now both parent companies are in the toilet.

I hate to say it, but the new Camaro is up there for me. As is the new Dodge Challenger. Both had been dead for a while, an extremely long while for the Dodge, and both had tons of hype leading up to their release. And when they finally hit the dealers, neither was all that great, to be honest. Both were being boasted as having big V8's and IRS, but they both weigh as much as a small apartment building, neither have particularly good handling or steering. The good old Ford Mustang with its good old solid axle was just as good in terms of handling and had much better steering. It really wasn't the sort of epic come back that most people were expecting. And now both parent companies are in the toilet.

my first thought too. :(

VW New Beetle. A definite case of style over substance. Why would you buy a New Beetle when it's based on arguably the worst Golf platform of all time (Mk IV), coupled with the fact that the New Beetle shares absolutely nothing in common with the original other than its shape? At least the Fiat 500 is slightly more authentic, but still not as true to tradition as the MINI - the king of the retro cars.

Sorry, katwalk.

Edit: given the original Beetle's origins, does this count as a Godwin? :p

Last edited:

Don't forget the awful interiors, and you can add the Charger to that mix.

I'm not going to pretend VW didn't half ass the car. They made it aimed at the american market so it only had to be better than american failmobiles.

I agree 100%. I do like the new Camaro and Challenger, but they were definite letdowns.

Also the R35 GTR. I am tremendously disapointed with nissan in every aspect of this car. Atleast they had the guts to NOT call it the skyline, because it they did, that would have been the final straw.

I'm not going to pretend VW didn't half ass the car. They made it aimed at the american market so it only had to be better than american failmobiles.

of course, your particular New Beetle is the exception to the rule. I read about it in another thread, so I can understand why you :wub: your particular example. :D

(thanks for not negrepping me too! :p)

of course, your particular New Beetle is the exception to the rule. I read about it in another thread, so I can understand why you :wub: your particular example. :D

(thanks for not negrepping me too! :p)

:lol:

You have to REALLY piss me off to get a -rep for anything, and thanks :)

Don't forget the awful interiors, and you can add the Charger to that mix.

I'm usually very forgiving when it comes to interiors. Only luxury cars will get that sort of criticism from me. The Camaro and Challenger may not have the best interiors, but they're not that expensive either. You tend to get what you pay for and when you're talking about these sorts of cars, most of your money is going towards the engine and the things attached to the engine.

My biggest gripe about the Charger was the 2 extra doors. They should have named it something else. The Dodge Diplomat, maybe. Or the Dodge Dynasty. Name it something that you can improve upon, rather then disgrace. Chargers are cheap and you get a full size RWD sedan that's based on an old Mercedes Benz chassis. That's not such a bad thing, in my opinion anyway.

I'm probably going to step on a few toes, but I say the BMW Mini. Not that it isn't a good car, it is. Its just not a proper mini. Too big, too fancy, too german.

I'd have to say the new Holden Commodore Sportwagon.
2008-Holden-VE-Commodore-Sportwagon-01.jpg

There was loads of hype about the new style of Commodore wagon, and it lived up to most of it. It looked good, it drove well. But the only reason for buying the Commodore wagon over the sedan before, the enormous boot, was removed. Now, you can't get 7 seats, and you can fit less in the boot than the sedan, which is cheaper. Pointless.

FPV GT. Massively disappointing. I still want one though.

Its just not a proper mini. Too big, too fancy

Bear in mind that over the last 40 years, cars have grown in size relative to their particular class. The Honda Civic, VW Golf and Toyota Corolla are obvious examples. Had they stayed exactly the same size over the years, the Civic would be the size of a Jazz/Fit, the Golf would be the size of a Polo and the Corolla would be the size of a Yaris.

Also bear in mind that the previous Mini missed out on 40 years of evolution. The Minis being produced in 1999 weren't that much different to those made in 1959, save for some modern luxuries. Whether or not these are 'fancy' is in the eye of the beholder.

The actual car itself is true to the original - wheels at each corner, modest power with sublime handling, FF layout. Unlike the Beetle and Fiat 500 where the layout of each was completely changed.

I'm usually very forgiving when it comes to interiors. Only luxury cars will get that sort of criticism from me. The Camaro and Challenger may not have the best interiors, but they're not that expensive either. You tend to get what you pay for and when you're talking about these sorts of cars, most of your money is going towards the engine and the things attached to the engine.

My biggest gripe about the Charger was the 2 extra doors. They should have named it something else. The Dodge Diplomat, maybe. Or the Dodge Dynasty. Name it something that you can improve upon, rather then disgrace. Chargers are cheap and you get a full size RWD sedan that's based on an old Mercedes Benz chassis. That's not such a bad thing, in my opinion anyway.

The Diplomat and Dynasty badges have about the same amount of good will as if it was named the Dodge Colon Cancer. Frankly, I would have plundered the old Plymouth name bank and brought out the Fury badge.

Hmm I can't really say I was actually disappointed with most of the bad cars I've driven...mostly because I expected them to be bad even if they ended up being worse. I'd have to say the 2009 Corolla because it symbolizes everything wrong with Toyota today and why its ready to fall from being #1 so soon. I've driven the previous version of the Corolla and thought it was actually fairly decent with some potential. This new one...first of all the really awful plastic materials, the older car at least had some decent plastic but in the new one they're thin and easily scratched, they may have been styled better than a Chrysler interior but they aren't that different in quality. The electric power steering is extremely dull, I found going in a straight line to be difficult to pinpoint. I found the 2009's brakes to be truly awful in winter weather and a NHTSA safety recall seemed to have explained why I had trouble. Another worry about the brakes is how quickly they dump brake dust, sprayed a 2010 Corolla with only 750 kms on the odo...it bleed brake dust from the front wheels ridiculously quickly, almost certain to require replacing sooner. The next Corolla with 910 kms wasn't that much better.

As someone who genuinely likes his Toyota...I can't help but look at disbelief when I see such a low quality vehicle with a Toyota badge. Its not the worst car in the world since it is well designed on the ergonomics level, fuel efficiency is great, engine is quiet and the build quality is pretty good. Yet considering the badge it carries, it appears to be the worst Toyota vehicle ever made. It seems like the bean counters designed this one, pushing a cheaply made low quality car and hope the badge and reputation bring more customers than it deserves.

Last edited:
The Diplomat and Dynasty badges have about the same amount of good will as if it was named the Dodge Colon Cancer. Frankly, I would have plundered the old Plymouth name bank and brought out the Fury badge.

:lol:

I don't know, the Fury was a cool car too. You don't want people saying, "Lets check out the new Dodge Fury! Grrrr! Oh wait, it's just a boring looking sedan." It would be much better if they said, "The new Dodge Diplomat? I remember those horrible piles of pig shit, my grandma used her old one as fertilizer when it broke down and biodegraded from rust back into the earth from whence it came. Oh wait, this new one doesn't look too bad actually. RWD, V8, Benz chassis? Nice." :p

As someone who genuinely likes his Toyota...I can't help but look at disbelief when I see such a low quality vehicle with a Toyota badge. Its not the worst car in the world since it is well designed on the ergonomics level, fuel efficiency is great, engine is quiet and the build quality is pretty good. Yet considering the badge it carries, it appears to be the worst Toyota vehicle ever made. It seems like the bean counters designed this one, pushing a cheaply made low quality car and hope the badge and reputation bring more customers than it deserves.

I can agree that recent Toyotas have been disappointing. Every car manufacturer has a corporate design these days, but Toyota still don't. Their cars are a mash-up of dull elements designed to offend no-one. Its like Neighbours on wheels. Here they sell the Auris as the Corolla hatch, alongside the US-style Corolla sedan. They both cost the same, but one is a lot worse. All the slightly interesting details that they put on the Auris were removed, and yet I still see a lot of them around. At least they seem to be doing something about it, an updated Corolla hatch is the first ever I think to not look too bland. But the rest of the range are still the same blobby bland mess that we seem to have come to accept.

I'll add to my disappointing cars the latest Camry. There is not one reason you'd buy it over any of its competitors. Its not the safest, cheapest, best looking, best to drive, most comfortable, most economical, fastest or best made. And Toyota is the worlds largest car maker, so I don't think its that much to expect a little more from them.

Last edited: