Most Disappointing Cars of the Decade.

Absolutely every new chassis Jaguar has introduced since 2000.

Cadillac XLR

Also the bangle 7-Series

The Chevy aveo
Hummer H3
Anything made by Lancia
Peugeot 308
Scion xA

How can you be disappointed by the Aveo? It's like being disappointed that a truck stop hooker gave you herpes. Yeah, it's a drag, but it's not like you couldn't see it coming.

US spec 2005+ Focus ST. It was supposedly a Focus SVT replacement but it was inferior in every single way.

Hell ANY 2005+ US Spec Foci is a disappointment.

How can you be disappointed by the Aveo? It's like being disappointed that a truck stop hooker gave you herpes. Yeah, it's a drag, but it's not like you couldn't see it coming.

Let me put it this way: I liked the Cavalier and I'm not ashamed by it ;)

Last edited:
I would take time to list them all, but basically anything made by Chrysler and GM. They have failed to improve over time, producing mostly the same quality of cars since the 80s. With possibly an exception for the second generation CTS. The first one had a horrible interior.

I hate to say it, but the new Camaro is up there for me. As is the new Dodge Challenger. Both had been dead for a while, an extremely long while for the Dodge, and both had tons of hype leading up to their release. And when they finally hit the dealers, neither was all that great, to be honest. Both were being boasted as having big V8's and IRS, but they both weigh as much as a small apartment building, neither have particularly good handling or steering. The good old Ford Mustang with its good old solid axle was just as good in terms of handling and had much better steering. It really wasn't the sort of epic come back that most people were expecting. And now both parent companies are in the toilet.

I don't think the Challenger ever claimed to be a sports car. Maybe people were expecting it to be, but as far as I can remember Chrysler was pretty straightforward about it being a big soft cruiser with a lot of power.

The Camaro was doomed to be disappointing just based on the fact that it was hyped into oblivion. When journalists first drove it, their heads exploded and you'd think that it was the most revolutionary car ever made. But then the hype, and praise, died down considerably.

The Hyundai Genesis Coupe wasn't exactly the 4-door Miata that people were expecting. But as a first real entry into that segment, it's far from bad.

As for earlier in this decade, the Chrysler Crossfire, first Bangle 7-series (though it seemed to sell well regardless), Chevy SSR, Jaguar X-type, Chevy Cobalt, Cadillac STS, and 2nd generation Ford Focus were all disappointments to some extent.

As for companies in general, I'm disappointed that TVR died out. There were announcements trickling in about how it was saved and they were going to be sold in the US through some dealerships in Florida and all the reliability issues were going to disappear etc etc etc. And then nothing.

Also Maserati hasn't really been doing much since they came back. They were stagnating in various forms for so long, I thought they'd come back with a bang. They had the MC12, which is spectacular to behold in real life, but it's not much more than a rebodied Enzo. The Gran Turismo isn't much different from the Coupe. And the Quattroporte is still on sale. I was expecting more along the lines of a mid engined sports car to go against the 911 (the Audi R8 took that spot) and something big, luxurious and with a V12! (the Ferrari 612 fits that bill) Instead there's just two GT cars with different numbers of doors.

I actually liked the Challenger, but then again, I was thinking of more of a cruiser also, not a sports car, considering they're autos and big as boats.

Camaro - I thought Bumble Bee was actually going to make me like this car, but I don't know, some of the new cars with the old styles do not really fit for me. This one just hits the nail to the head though. Classics should be classics, stop trying to be retro with the newer models. Almost all the cars with retro styling (Mustang, Camaro, Challenger) just gave me more nostalgia and hunt down those classics than think about buying the new versions.

Most Hyundais - mainly in the earlier years, not sure about in the latter part of the decade, they had those warranties that in the end were marketing ploys to let the consumer buy the car for cheap, and they were just not great, economically and physically

Earlier 7-series - it looked way too weird for me to be a luxury car. Had the toys, just not the styling I was expecting, at least they fixed that part in the latter part of the decade

E60 5-series - I don't know, I like bimmers, but this one just looked like a huge boat. I like the M5 and all, but I wouldn't drive the normal cars around as much. The styling was horrible

Reactions: Jay
TO me, the most dissapointing car was the Camaro. Too heavy, too over-styled, too much hype, and interior quality that is almost as bad as the fourth gen Camaro.

The Porsche Cayenne. Not really disappointed in the car, but the company.

If I look at the cars I have driven in the past ten years, I believe that the Mercedes B180 CDI was the biggest disappointment.

Not only is the ride bad (it buckles like a bull under certain road conditions) but the engine is as loud and rattly, as in my former 1993 VW Vento TD. Shaking steering wheels in idle should be a thing of the past by now.

Follow-up to that would be the Volvo XC60. Not because it is a particularly bad car, it isn't. But because there are so many faults and unnessecary slip-ups in detail, which make it look like it's not completely finished developing yet. And then there is the catastrophic Volvo sat nav, which already became confused by our local Autobahn entry. It all added together to a great disappointment for me.

Last edited:
Definitely the new Charger. That simply wasn't a Charger! Hugely disappointing. It seems that mainly thugz and rappers like it.

The new Camaro is also up there. I don't like its retro styling. I thought the Fourth Gen was a brilliant design, which was totally up to date. They've gone backwards now.

I'm disappointed with new cars in general. :p Cars (and trucks), despite other improvements, just get bigger and heavier every year. (Except the 370Z; I couldn't believe a manufacturer actually made a car smaller.) Such a waste.

The Camaro was a disappointment. Great engine, good drivetrain, good looks ... massive curb weight. I was intially disappointed in Ford for continuing to put the pathetic 4.6 in the Mustang but they've remedied that. Now it's going to wipe the floor with the Camaro. I'm not disappointed in the Challenger at all though. It's exactly what they said it would be and I'd love to own one.

Toyota has probably been the biggest letdown of the decade for me. They have beaten GM by making all the same mistakes GM did. Cutting parts quality, failing to redesign uncompetitive models, massive recalls due to simple problems. And they haven't made one interesting car.

Lets see if I can't rattle off a few

Toyota in general

Mazda RX8 (now I do really like this car and even want one, but the competition kept getting more power, and the Mazda just didn't/hasn't)

Ferrari 458 (early spy shots were promising, until the nose was revealed....)

Charger/Camaro/Challenger (just way too heavy and ungainly)

Lamborghini Estoque (where is it??)

Cadillac Sixteen (as above)

Cadillac Cien (again)

Shelby GR1 (notice the recurring theme?)

Ford Interceptor

Still no export of Pagani Zondas to the US.

New Mclaren. (Its not ludicrous enough, and the driver doesn't sit in the middle)

The GTR. Not only because of the car itself, as I like it very much and has proven to be something really fast. The problem is with Nissan, that stopped the Skyline GTR line, took a billion years to develop the R35, teasing it in every auto salon possible and, in the end, has gone completely mad in things such as trying to control the speed limit by GPS, the famous tranny problems and, most importantly, trying to avoid modifications to the car at any cost, exactly what their ancestors were better known for. Plus, the ridiculous pricetag for a Nissan. Don't get me wrong, I like it and think it's rather impressive. Just not a real successor to the Skyline GTR series, especially the R32-34 trio.

I hate to say it, but the new Camaro is up there for me. As is the new Dodge Challenger. Both had been dead for a while, an extremely long while for the Dodge, and both had tons of hype leading up to their release. And when they finally hit the dealers, neither was all that great, to be honest. Both were being boasted as having big V8's and IRS, but they both weigh as much as a small apartment building, neither have particularly good handling or steering. The good old Ford Mustang with its good old solid axle was just as good in terms of handling and had much better steering. It really wasn't the sort of epic come back that most people were expecting. And now both parent companies are in the toilet.
^This. I'm tired of hearing about the goshdarn retro-throwback-muscle-car-blah-blah-blah-omg-yay and they're all still...relatively new. Even the most tolerable of the three--the Mustang--is kinda bloated-looking nowadays. (Seriously. Give the Fords some Gas-X.) Give me something new and interesting to gawk at, for pete's sake. And this time, please, I don't care if you have to bring Colin Chapman back from the dead as a weight-eating zombie--don't make the new and interesting shiny things weigh as much as a city block.

Also: the Charger's comeback being most associated with...the cops. You don't give Roscoe P. Coltrane the Duke boys' car. You just...don't. Rename that thing something else, please!

Last edited:
:lol:

You have to REALLY piss me off to get a -rep for anything, and thanks :)

Your mother wears army boots. :p

Absolutely every new chassis Jaguar has introduced since 2000.

Except for the air suspension the chassis wasn't bad in the X350, it was the crap they added to it. I've only heard good things about the XF's ride too (unless you count that as a '99 chassis).

Last edited:
The DB9, it's a great looking car, it's a very good GT car, but it's never even come close to being the 911-killer it keeps saying it is. Perhaps it's just over-hyped by Clarkson.