Motorbiking in England for dumb Yanks

How much will shipping the bike over cost you?

Ok, so from what I gleaned from this thread (and this site) I'll have to do a CBT to get my licensCe, with no restrictions as I'm over 21.

After taking CBT and the theory test, the practical test may be taken on a motorcycle with a power output of at least 35kW. A pass allows you to ride any size of bike. All or part of the CBT course may be taken on either a learner bike or a large bike. You may practice for the practical test on bikes larger than the learner bike specification provided.

nope, your still be restricted to on a CBT, to ride anything your then need to do the direct access route.

might be worth emailing these guys http://www.artmotorcycletraining.co.uk/ I learnt with them and had a spanish guy with me who was in your posistion.

What? You HAVE to do your CBT. Hence the (COMPULSARY Basic Training).

And Blaro, you don't have to be restricted for two years as you're over 21.

I didn't do CBT. I did the 7 day direct access course, the first 2 days was on the 125cc and the 7th day was my test. Then again, maybe they've included the CBT modules in the 1st 2 days, I wasn't given the CBT form/certificate before or after though.

The CBT is inclusive in the Direct Access crash course. It will of been the absolute very first thing you did.

Ok, so after talking to some people it turns out I can get away with using my Yank license. Now, then, how about registration? Somebody once tried to explain to me the system of Y-reg, MOTs, licence renewals, etc, none of which sank in. So what's the process of buying a used motorcycle and getting it legally registered like, from plonking down the cash to finally road-tripping across northern Scotland?

Buying a used motorcycle from here and getting it registered is very simple. The papers will already be with the motorbike (If they're not, you want to steer clear anyway). You simply fill in your details and send it off to the DVLA, the address is on the papers. They will then send you back your registration documents ready for whenever you sell it again.

MOT's ..If the MOT is up (again, if this is the case, steer awaaaayyy) ..If it ends up being due for renewal while you still have the bike, there are an abundance of mechanics with varying rates and the act of MOT'ing it will cost about ?50. Though obviously if there is something wrong, then that changes. That's not to say you can't just do the repair yourself if needs be.

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited:
Need four things
- MOT
- TAX
- INSURANCE
- REGISTRATION

MOT - Annual test, pretty simple to get done at most half decent motorbike workshops. Make sure the owner has the current certificate.
Tax - Make sure it has some and that it's more than a month away from renewal, to renew you need your MOT and insurance certificates so you can't do this just after you bought it. Tax is in the form of a disc which must be displayed somewhere (usually on a front fork).
Insurance - The major problem is going to be insurance as you have no fixed address in the UK... You might be best contacting a few UK insurers (More Than, Admiral, Liverpool Victoria, Direct Line off the top of my head) to see what they can do.
Registration - The lack of address may also screw you over for the registration as on the slip of paper the previous owner sends off to the DVLA should be the new owners address. The only other flaw would be if the car had a personalised registration plate in which case you'd need to either transfer ownership of both the bike and the plate or just the bike and then get the DVLA to re-issue you with a standard number.

Oh and make use of http://www.hpicheck.com/, the most important issue usually being that the bike hasn't got any outstanding credit on it.

Be aware that we now have a large number of ANPR cameras hidden around the UK which identify your number plate and check if you have current Tax, MOT and Insurance; if not the police are sent after you. So make sure you have all three.

Last edited:
Be aware that we now have a large number of ANPR cameras hidden around the UK which identify your number plate and check if you have current Tax, MOT and Insurance; if not the police are sent after you. So make sure you have all three.

They've just started using them round here too, and believe me, they work. Its always on the news with some significant number of cars that are unregistered and uninsured being impounded and what have you, and surprisingly its never the sort of car you expect. I was expecting mulleted idiots in old Commodores and rattly Camrys, but it was more just tax dodgers in Maseratis and Range Rovers who thought they could get away with it.