Motorcycle Navigation / GPS

DanRoM

Forum Addict
Car(s)
MX-5 ND, Tracer 900 GT & two bikes
In light of some trips planned this year and well, general riding around I am thinking about getting a navigation device for my bike. Problem is, the things are very expensive and I don't want to sink quite a few hundred euros into something I'm not happy with.

The two obvious choices that come to mind are:
  • TomTom Rider 40 - has bad reviews on Amazon, but well, Amazon reviews....
  • TomTom Rider CE - an exclusive special available via Louis; cheapest, but apparently a little outdated
  • Garmin z?mo 390LM - sounds best so far...
Does anyone have helpful hints or alternatives?

I would recommend the Garmin tbh, especially if you'll go riding with other riders or want to ride routes downloaden from the internet. In my experience most riders use Garmin and most routes you can find online are for Garmin.
The only downside to Garmin imo is that the interface may not be as user-friendly as TomTom and BaseCamp (the Garmin software you use to create routes) is a train wreck. It works, it just needs a lot of getting used to. But then again if you don't plan on making or importing routes from the internet you'll never have to use BaseCamp.
I have the Garmin Zumo 350 and that thing is slow, like really annoyingly frustratingly slow to use. The 390 is the newer version of the 350, from what I hear it's much better, but if you can try one out and try to scroll around on the map to see if its responsive enough for your taste.

Unless you can find a really good reason to buy a TomTom, I'd go with the Garmin. It's just the go-to GPS for motorcycles, whereas -imo- TomTom is an also-ran.

A phone just doesn't work on a bike (I know from experience), the screen is hard to read in sunlight, when using GPS and with the screen always-on the battery drains like there's no tomorrow, it's difficult to charge your phone (especially if it's raining) and often the screen doesn't react to gloves, not to mention the interface is made for fingers, not fingers inside big fat motorcycle gloves.
It might work in a pinch, but you don't want to rely on it, certainly not when travelling.

I've been using a Garmin Montana 600 for the last 3 years. Though I haven't actually used the routing features much, preferring instead to use it as a moving map, I haven't had any complaints. It is a solid unit that has worked perfectly and I don't see the need to replace it anytime soon.

Out of your choices I'd go with the Garmin for sure. :)

Here is my setup:

IMG_1495-X2.jpg

I feel investing in a TomTom or garmin is kinda a waste only because they go obsolete.

For my motorcycle navigation, I use bluetooth in my helmet with voice guided direction.

- Shoei RF-1100
- Sena 20S
- iPhone with Google Maps.

I didnt wanna have a device on my bike. I commute and park my bike in many places where it could be bothered. I didnt wanna worry about anything being stolen. I use the SENA boothtoith device to place voice guide directions via google maps. My iPhone is connected to my helmet. I pull up google maps before i start riding with my destination and press start. Google plays the voice guided directions through the helmet and i can just ride. Cool think is goole maps can work without cell service if you start it up before riding. I like this set up the best.

I would get a ram mount if I wanted to mount my phone on my R6, and that would be great if i wanted to look at a map.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Handz: Using the phone is not an option pretty much for the reasons DaHitch gave. I'm looking for a visual aid, not so much a thing talking into my ear. Also, using Google Maps is out of the question anyway because network coverage tends to suck in areas where it's fun to drive, and is completely out once leaving the country because data roaming is prohibitely expensive.
Yes, there are navigation applications for my phone that don't need online data. Still, the other negative points still rule out the phone.

DaHitch: I've been using a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx for years (it finally gave up back in 2013, also the screen is just to small to safely read at speed), so I'm well aware of the shortcomings of the Garmin interface. And I'm used to it. ;)

Crazyjeeper: The Montana is a tempting alternative, because I could use that for bicycling too. On the other hand, it lacks the nice motorcycle-centric features like "curvy roads navigation". Question is, would I really miss those...?
More of a concern is the age of the product. It's been on the market since 2011 (?), and I fear that that's showing by now.

Last edited:
I certainly miss the "curvy roads" option on my 350, but the 390 does have it (which came out last year btw -about the same time I bought my 350- not in 2011 ;)) so go for it!

The only point against that is that buying another device next year or so for bicycle tours seems very stupid. I say "next year" because at the moment I can't see myself doing the kind of bicycle tours that require navigation in the near future due to my lack of fitness. But I definitely want to do that kind of vacation again...

That said, I've been putting off the purchase of an outdoor/bicycle Garmin (as a replacement for the dead eTrex Vista) for close to two years now because the offerings don't really tick my boxes anyway.

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger on the Garmin z?mo 390LM and will report once I've had some experience with it.