Motorcycle Tires

Follow up on the Pirelli STs- I was talking to my friend at the dealership, and it was confirmed that I had the original tires on my bike... which ups their mileage to around 5K. Not bad, but obviously not as good as the Avons.

So right now, I'm running BT-023s on the rear and waiting for the front Pirelli ST to run out. :)

I probably should have asked this here. :)

I can't offer any input on the Scorpions but I've had PR3s on the F800R for about 3,000kms and I'm really happy with them. Much better in the wet than the previous Pilot Powers and better feedback under all conditions. There is negligible warm-up time - they bite really well from cold (something the Pilot Powers didn't do). Only downside I've found so far is that they can tend to move around a little under hard braking and cornering, but you'd expect that based on how many tread blocks they have. Wearing pretty well too.

Only downside I've found so far is that they can tend to move around a little under hard braking and cornering

Apart from al the positive things I've heard this as well, if that's the case I do wonder if they'll behave any better than the Scorpions I have now. :/

Apart from al the positive things I've heard this as well, if that's the case I do wonder if they'll behave any better than the Scorpions I have now. :/

I'd expect the PR3s to have softer compounds than the Scorpions, so the overall level of grip should be higher. Also, I find that the PR3s are quite progressive at the limit, which helps your confidence a lot more than tyres with a higher utlimate grip lveel but which don't give any warning when they let go.

But really the only way to find out is to try them on your bike.

Well, that was quick - Michelin just announced the Pilot Road 4. It's going to be available in three variants; the regular PR4, the PR4 GT for heavier bikes and the PR4 Trail for the big dual sports/adventure bikes.

Michelin-Pilot-Road-4-Front.jpg

Michelin-Pilot-Road-4-rear.jpg

The new Michelin Pilot Road 4: three different versions available from January 2014

The Michelin Pilot Road 4 for sport touring, trail and GT bikes will be available in early 2014.
The new BMW R 1200 RT will be factory-fitted with the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT.
Michelin has once again pushed the limits of braking. On wet surfaces, the new tyre?s braking distance is shorter than that of its main competitors.

In 2014 Michelin will bring to market an all-new range of motorcycle tyres, available in three versions: the Michelin Pilot Road 4, Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT and Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail.

Intended for road use only, these tyres cover most categories of road motorcycles of more than 600cc.They were designed to deliver maximum safety in the most common conditions of use, especially on wet roads and in particular when braking.

Michelin will also be the tyre supplier for the new BMW R 1200 RT with the GT version of its new tyre. The fact that BMW has selected the Pilot Road 4 for this bike ? the bestselling bike in its category ? reflects the level of performance it provides.

In short, the Michelin Pilot Road 4 delivers enhanced safety in all situations and extended tyre life. They are a tangible illustration of Michelin?s Total Performance strategy of constantly and simultaneously improving tyre performance characteristics across the board.

With the Michelin Pilot Road 4 tyres, the aim is to enable as many motorcyclists as possible to experience safe riding in nearly all conditions.

Source here: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Road-4-Press-Release

Last edited:
Probably the next tire I will put on my WR if it is available in the right size.

Looks interesting. The rears are almost a slick towards the edges, unlike the PR3s which had grooves all the way to the outside. The PR3s that I currently have are great, would like to see a back-to-back review of Pr3 v PR4.

150/70 should fit on the rear (stock is 140/70), and both fronts would also fit. Good news for my wr :)

Getting some new shoes put on tomorrow. Apparently, BT-023s are being discontinued everywhere, but I managed to track down a 120/60-17, and the magic brown truck delivered it this afternoon... just in time for my appointment at the shop tomorrow morning. :)

I'm going to have to ride the fuck out of that front tire though - the shop talked to a Bstone rep, and the next gen of sport touring stones is recommended to be mounted front and rear at the same time. I guess it doesn't play well with other tread patterns, so I need to catch up with my rear tire's wear... on a twin.

I'm excited though - this will officially be a complete set of Stones!

I replaced my both tires in this spring to new Dunlops (road smart II) but i was also offered Mitas-branded tires,are they any good?, any experiences?

Just got new dunlop Q3 tires and have about 1,000 miles on them. they feel great on the road, and the grip gives nice confidence. Better than my old Pirelli super corsa tires than came on my R6 when i bought it.

Well, the ST1300 needs new rubber. I've never had a bike this heavy before, it's got more heft than the VFR but not as much as a full-dress touring bike like a Goldwing. I know some sport-touring tires have a model designed for larger bikes, but I'm not sure if I need that or not. The bike came with Michelin Pro Pilot 3 tires, but I wasn't very impressed with them. The rear is gone and must be replaced, I can probably get more out of the front but I don't think I want to. One complaint I have heard of these tires is that they start to lose grip with the heat-cycles before some others on the market. The front doesn't feel like it is gripping as much right now and it's not exactly inspiring confidence. In the past I've been happy with the Bridgestones, but I thought the BT021 was superior to the BT023, at least on the VFR. I'm not sure how the successor, the T30 will do on a much heavier and more powerful bike.

Any ideas or feedback is welcome.

I know a few people who own (or used to own) a Pan European and they all swear by the Michelin Pilot Road, but it comes with a caveat: Although it is a fantastic rain tyre, it does have a tendency to move about a bit* in dry conditions thanks to the many cuts the tyre has.

*Not slipping as in over- or understeering, but the tyre feels "alive".

I know a few people who own (or used to own) a Pan European and they all swear by the Michelin Pilot Road, but it comes with a caveat: Although it is a fantastic rain tyre, it does have a tendency to move about a bit* in dry conditions thanks to the many cuts the tyre has.

*Not slipping as in over- or understeering, but the tyre feels "alive".

Yep, this is my experience with the Pilot Road 3. Great wet weather tyre, good wear, but moves around a bit when you push it. A little disconcerting at first but good once you get used to it. The Pilot Road 4 looks to have fewer small cuts (Michelin calls them "sipes") and also comes in GT model designed for big sport-tourers like the ST1300.

I also run Michelin Pilot Road (3rd or 4th gen, I think) and I'm very happy with them. But to be fair, I'm not one for really pushing the bike (or the tyres) to the limit.

I don't do much wet weather riding if I can help it, but in the dry I can be a bit aggressive. Loose in the dry doesn't sound fun so I think I will pas on that. The Pilot Road 4 GT might be a possibility.

Oh hello, spring is here, so time to revive the tyre discussion. :)

I should have most of summer to consider what to get next, as my Pilot road 4s still have plenty of tread left. But I will need a new set before the ringmeet roadtrip. With the kind of driving I do around here I have been playing with the idea of getting some 60/40, or even 50/50 dualsport tyres. But seeing as the roadtrip could be something like 7000km and I've been planning on hitting the Alps later, something more touring oriented might be a better bet at this point.

I've been browsing through some forums and review sites during slow work days to look around what's on the market. Going by bigger brands, Conti TKC 70 and Dunlop Trailmax would need to be a size smaller at the back (170/60R17 instead of 180/55R17), while PR4 trail obviously, as well as Avon Trailrider and Scorpion trail II could be had with correct size.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with any of these? And just for clarification, I'm mostly looking for some gravel road performance, not actual off-roading capabilities.

Last edited:
Can't say I do, I'm a big fan of Bridgestones - they seem to work well with my bikes.