Motorsports in the Olympics?

Even if everyone wanted to see some kind of spec touring racing in the Olympics, there would be enviromentalists pouring out of every crevice of this Earth to protest the use of "pollution spewing death machines", that the organizers would probably not show it.

Well they did Pick Beijing lol. I don't think they have a huge problem with pollution.

No friggin way. I know F1 drivers are "athletes" and all, but the Olympics are about human performance, see who can throw a rock the farthest, see who can throw a spear the farthest, Who's the fastest? Strongest? Not who can drive a car the fastest. I do not like anything with judges, but I tolerate gymnastics just because it blows my mind every time I see it. They do things my brain tells me are not possible.

I tolerate sailing because I'm a sailor and know how physically draining racing can be. and how difficult it is to be good at it. I also race cars, and let me tell you, sailing competitively is much harder, and much more dangerous. I don't do it anymore, almost got killed once. I just sail for pleasure and relaxation now

Motorsport won't be in the olympics for the simple reason that you'd have people complaining about CO2 emissions, global warming and how the olympics shoulnd't be encouraging this sort of behavior, etc etc in the same way people protested about tibet during the Chinese games.

Motorsport won't be in the olympics for the simple reason that you'd have people complaining about CO2 emissions

I saw a graph that showed a timeline of about 700 million years with levels of CO2 and global average temperature. The global average has been 22C for 700 millions years, barring ice ages, and the CO2 levels have been as much as 1,800% higher than they are today.

They've been rapidly falling for the past 300 million years and the average temperature is still 22C.

Global warming is bullshit.

I saw a graph that showed a timeline of about 700 million years with levels of CO2 and global average temperature. The global average has been 22C for 700 millions years, barring ice ages, and the CO2 levels have been as much as 1,800% higher than they are today.

They've been rapidly falling for the past 300 million years and the average temperature is still 22C.

Global warming is bullshit.

You cannot use data that old to call global warming "Bullshit" The atmosphere has only been stable at 21% Oxygen, 78% Nitrogen, 1%Argon and trace amounts of CO2 for 50,000,000 years. The only part that has changed dramatically over the last 50,000,000 years has been the CO2, it's nearly doubled in the last 100 years. Before that and on back to 700,000,000 years ago the composition of the atmosphere varied greatly.

That graph you saw was probably drawn by a 3rd grader, because it's simply not possible. A rise of 6c over 20,000 years caused the Paleocene?Eocene extinction event, and a similar rise in "only" 10,000 years caused the Triassic?Jurassic extinction event. Now the same rise is forecast to happen now in 200 years. All three events have happened with a much lower C02 rise than 1300%.

The temperature of the earth over the last 700,000,000 years has gone from icehouse (completely frozen sea, pole to equator) to greenhouse (no ice at all) three times in the last 700,000,000 years The C02 level during these times varied wildly as well, they were much higher than today, but the sun's output was also much lower.

My point is, global warming is real, but the planet will survive :) We will lose a lot of species and a lot of cities, but with proper planning we can live with it.

Motorsport won't be in the olympics for the simple reason that you'd have people complaining about CO2 emissions, global warming and how the olympics shoulnd't be encouraging this sort of behavior, etc etc in the same way people protested about tibet during the Chinese games.

That's true, we need to keep the air clean enough so we can keep the Red Bull Air Race running. :D

IMHO there are already too many events in the olympics. There should be more athletics, swimming, gymnastic events, and less bullshit like boxing, basketball, soccer, waterpolo etc.

Olympics should be a place for sports which don't get enough attention and money.

IMHO there are already too many events in the olympics. There should be more athletics, swimming, gymnastic events, and less bullshit like boxing, basketball, soccer, waterpolo etc.

Olympics should be a place for sports which don't get enough attention and money.

Not sure i'd agree that waterpolo gets enough attention and money, and it certainly is an athletic sport demanding great endurance.

Will agree that football should be removed. Football has its own major World Cup competition......you don't see rugby in the Olympics, for example. With regards Basketball i can see the urge to remove it from the event but I believe it is only here that countries play each other in a major event. If Basketball had something like Football's World Cup then it could also be removed.

I think the Olympics should be reserved for Athletics, Swimming (Diving inc.), Gymnastics, Boxing (& Other Martial Arts like Judo), Cycling (50:50 on this one though) and Sailing type events where there is rarely an occassion for Country vs Country competition.

If Basketball had something like Football's World Cup then it could also be removed.

It does. Spain are the current reigning world champions. Greece knocked the USA out in the Semi-finals.

As for motorised sports being in the Olympics... what about the Keirin?

don't agree, there are already to many stupid sports on the olympics
i think it should be about physical achievements, so no tactical sports, no sports where you simply have to aim, no sports for which az jury has to give points and most of all, no sports where you ride a horse

some of those riders are 50 years old, how much of an athlete you have to be :rolleyes:

don't agree, there are already to many stupid sports on the olympics
i think it should be about physical achievements, so no tactical sports, no sports where you simply have to aim, no sports for which az jury has to give points and most of all, no sports where you ride a horse

some of those riders are 50 years old, how much of an athlete you have to be :rolleyes:

Taking the list of sports from wikipedia:

Tactical sports:
Diving (dive selection)
Swimming (any long distance event or team event)
Water Polo
Athletics (any event where you only get a fixed number of tries at something, multi sport events, long distance running/walking events)
Badminton
Basketball
Boxing
Flatwater canoe/kayak (1000m, pairs and quads)
All cycling other than individual pursuit.
Equestrian (Eventing - horse selection)
Fencing
Hockey
Football
Handball
Judo
Pentathlon
Rowing
Sailing
Table tennis
Taekwondo
Tennis
Triathlon
Volleyball (both kinds)
Weightlifting
Wrestling

Only aiming:
The air gun events

Judging and points:
Diving
Synchronised swimming
Boxing
Equestrian (Dressage)
All gymnatics including trampoline
Judo
Taekwondo
Weighlifting
Wrestling

Horsey:
Equestrian (for those that don't know the latin)
Modern Pentathlon (show jumping)

What's left?

Individual track sprints (up to 400m -the sprinter's marathon-)
500m individual flatwater canoe/kayak
Individual swimming sprints
Individual archery
Individual pursuit at the velodrome
Various shooting events (with actual guns not airguns)

And that's it!

I think you're being a bit harsh.

I do think that there is a case for some motorsports in the Olympics. Consider which requires the most "faster, higher, stronger" out of Indoor Motorcycle Trials and Showjumping.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfxqUCrW9XE[/youtube]

Ah sod it, I can't be bothered watching a load of toffs on horseys to find a vid to post.