MotorTrend Article on Rutledge Wood

Gyvon

Initial_B

Car(s)
2006 Toyota Corolla Xrs (a 4-door Lotus)
great find. the more i read about Rutledge Wood, the more i like him, and the more anticipated i am for the next season of Top Gear.

Wallio

Interesting that a man so proud of being Southern has such a love of cars from the land of the rising sun. Still he did display some automotive knowledge in that piece, so while I still don't like him, I'll give him more time.

Also, while I know what he meant this was interesting "Tanner does all the Stig laps" hmmmmmmm

JipJopJones

Car(s)
1979 Cressida Wagon, 1981 Corolla Hardtop
Good article.

I like Rutledge, and hopefully this article will change the minds of some of the haters.

DubyaStep

Tampa, Florida but now in Casselberry for school
Car(s)
Ford Thundercougarfalconbird
I cannot stand Rutledge. :(

i dont understand why people dont like him, he is great and he seems to have the most fun of the three

Interesting that a man so proud of being Southern has such a love of cars from the land of the rising sun. Still he did display some automotive knowledge in that piece, so while I still don't like him, I'll give him more time.

Also, while I know what he meant this was interesting "Tanner does all the Stig laps" hmmmmmmm

i have been wondering the same thing, lol. that kills me.

biggie

Car(s)
2x-'93 Nissan 240sx V/C, '03 Infiniti G35 C
I love being Southern, I just don't claim to like Nascar anymore, and also love Japanese cars. But thought he was supposed to be big Nascar fan, so the Hondas don't make much sense for him. But glad he has a Datsun.

rideclutch

Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar ST
After watching the drearyness of JC and co. present Season 16 of TG UK, I'm quite looking forward to his natural attitude on camera for Season 2. Even if that means more truck hugging. As a non-US viewer, his Southern stereotypes (or lack there of, if that's what people are upset about) really don't matter to me, or dare I say a number of US viewers either. I get the impression he's the same guy on camera, as he is away from it. I like that.

i dont understand why people dont like him, he is great and he seems to have the most fun of the three.
Eh, haters gonna hate :p.

Gyvon

Thing is, as a card-carrying redneck myself, Rut doesn't come off as Southern to me. Probably the lack of accent (except when he wants it).

shellygrrl

He may've been encouraged to either tone down or lose the accent for what he does (read: NASCAR commentary).

slapnotch

Car(s)
88 mustang lx notch, 03 ford f150,95 honda civic
Thing is, as a card-carrying redneck myself, Rut doesn't come off as Southern to me. Probably the lack of accent (except when he wants it).

i thought the same thing till i watched an episode of swamp people and the one guys son barely has the Louisiana bayou accent so not all southerners have the accent lol

Doctor Blade

Car(s)
92 Nissan Sentra XE (of Doom!)
Two things have killed the Southern Accent, television and education. I've lived here all my life and I don't have much of an accent. My college roommate was from a small town, and he sounded like Elvis. Weird, but there it is.

I like Rutledge, he gets on my nerves less than Adam does. :)

Merc63

Car(s)
'20 Chevy Bolt EV, '13 MINI JCW Roadster
I love being Southern, I just don't claim to like Nascar anymore, and also love Japanese cars. But thought he was supposed to be big Nascar fan, so the Hondas don't make much sense for him. But glad he has a Datsun.

I'm a NASCAR fan and I also like classic Hondas and Datsuns. Not that unusual, though I'm also not Southern.

biggie

Car(s)
Classic Japanese cars that are RWD are one thing, but for a NASCAR fan to like FWDs can possibly get you shot around here.

Labcoatguy

Forum Addict
Car(s)
#Jaguar #XKR #XJR, #Saab #9-3 #9-5
Classic Japanese cars that are RWD are one thing, but for a NASCAR fan to like FWDs can possibly get you shot around here.

Surely the kind of people who drive FWD Dale Earnhardt edition Monte Carlos don't really care about which wheels are driven.

Merc63

Car(s)
'20 Chevy Bolt EV, '13 MINI JCW Roadster
they don't. ;)

Like Rut, I'm a big fan of the CRX (which to me is now a classic Japanese car, though other than the S500/S600/S800, all classic Hondas were FWD).

biggie

Car(s)
Surely the kind of people who drive FWD Dale Earnhardt edition Monte Carlos don't really care about which wheels are driven.
Those aren't car people, just NASCAR fans (usually women). There are 2 separate categories, but if you are both then you have to have RWD, usually in truck form (or muscle car).